Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying to teach Maths at Second level

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

Great help, thank you so much. DCU because that's the most convenient (also have 3 kids) and I've heard good things. I'm not sure what the points were last year but I can get extra for work experience so feel confident enough.

I'm familiar with the local schools offering Comp Sci but any extra help always appreciated. I've always had teaching in the back of my mind but the final push was the lack of comp sci teachers and 3 kids who want/will want to do it. I'll be 50 before I start teaching so not too bothered about full hours, also very lucky to be in a good financial place so even part time hours would be fine. Happy to sub for local schools. So good to know that I could offer strengths in maths and maybe French too if I brush up - without having to redo my maths modules or whatever French needs.

Thanks for the PDST tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

I did pretty much the same route as you - went back as a mature student to do the DCU PME, graduated in 2020 - teaching Maths & Comp Sci now. Highly recommend DCU. Their structure of a not-too-hectic 4hrs per week teaching in school, as well as lectures being on a Tuesday & Wednesday evening was perfect. They were also significantly cheaper than Hibernia at the time as well. If you have any questions, give me a PM

Advertisement