Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting DVR to remote monitor

Options
  • 30-11-2017 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, I am looking to connect a dvr I have in the attic to a monitor downstairs in the kitchen. I have a Cat5 and a coax cable running between these points. Is there any good Cat5 to HDMI/VGA adaptors or Coax to HDMI/VGA. Preferably ones that don't need an external power source. Will the picture quality be good on these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hi, I am looking to connect a dvr I have in the attic to a monitor downstairs in the kitchen. I have a Cat5 and a coax cable running between these points. Is there any good Cat5 to HDMI/VGA adaptors or Coax to HDMI/VGA. Preferably ones that don't need an external power source. Will the picture quality be good on these?

Most HDMI baluns require 2x cat 6 as a HDMI has 19 strands (19 pins) and typically any HDMI or VGA over coax I've seen require power.

What make is the DVR. Maybe you could network it and add a client

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Why no power source? You must have power at both ends already.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

I used a cat 5 cable between nvr and tv in kitchen I used two vga connectors and soldered on to cat5, from video online and hey presto perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 readymix111

"Most HDMI baluns require 2x cat 6 as a HDMI has 19 strands (19 pins) and typically any HDMI or VGA over coax I've seen require power."

Yeah ive seen those and also seen baluns with single cat5, going by what you said I wouldn't imagine the single ones would be good quality

"Why no power source? You must have power at both ends already"

I do yeah but I don't want too much clutter and extension leads etc, monitor will be wall mounted, if I was to go down a powered option would you recommend any type?

"I used a cat 5 cable between nvr and tv in kitchen I used two vga connectors and soldered on to cat5, from video online"

Which pins did you solder onto for the video? 15 pins and only 8 cores in cat5, are only 2 pins used for video?

Advertisement