Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Platform for RTE Player

• 30-11-2017 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Hi all

With the Toy Show on tomorrow night, what’s the best/stable platform to run the RTE Player on?

I’ve got an Nvidia Shield TV box, Amazon 4K box, laptop (macOS), Windows 10 PC, Samsung TV and a Sony TV.

I don’t have any broadcast TV services since ditching the Sky.

Or am I better cutting my losses and going to buy a Saorview aerial for the TV?

Thanks.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I personally think a Saorview aerial would be the most reliable

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Folks, bear in mind the prohibition on discussion of addons stream et as a way of obtaining subscription services.

Mod Hat Off

Get an aerial, job done.

Cheers,

Ritz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Tried an indoor aerial and couldn’t pick up a single channel. I’m in Drogheda so a fair distance from any transmitter. Tried the RTE Player on the Samsung TV and it seemed fine. Then again probably not many people watching Fair City on RTE Player. Might be a different story during the Toy Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I haven't watched RTE since the toy show last year. So looking into it this morning I see the app still doesn't have cast to tv functionality. The best work-around I can see is installing a cast add-on to chrome, browse to rte player, and cast it. Stupid to have to do it this way in this day and age. In some ways we were better off in the 80's with a VCR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Just to follow up. I used the RTE Player app on my Samsung TV that I bought during the year. It worked flawlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Ha ! Stupid me, we have a Samsung TV in the kitchen with the RTE Player App running on it, Mrs Ritz uses it routinely. Did it occur to me to suggest that ? Nope. Feeling really stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Annoying they have it for Samsung but not Android TV / cast comparability. Anyhow, found this:

https://digitalblog.rte.ie/2017/04/26/rte-announces-plans-to-develop-the-next-generation-rte-player/

Said by year end it would roll out but have to assume usual technical delays.

Advertisement