Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV sound issue

Options
  • 30-11-2017 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭

Basically TV is less than a year old, money was spent to get a good tv.
    The thing is, the sound on it is really bad. Went in to settings, have done everything (sound balance, auto adjust etc). Its my folks tv.

Said tv has to be up to about 35 to hear it. My tv is the same brand, and i sit the same distance away from the tv as they would (roughly), and i keep my tv on 13.

Store which they bought the tv in sent someone out, and of course, no problem with sound they said. There is 100% a problem with tv sound. Rang back store and got 'well technican said there is nothing wrong with the sound'.

Just wondering consumer rights wise, where do i stand, or do i stand at all? What avenue can I go next, if any?

All advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Do you have a Sky box connected? I find that I have to have volume set much higher when using the Sky box rather than the terrestrial input to the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Do you have a Sky box connected? I find that I have to have volume set much higher when using the Sky box rather than the terrestrial input to the TV.

No sky box connected

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Your probably right.

When the tv is up high, its even hard to hear, like 45 say. I think they only go up to 60, so its very very high.
    Its a smart tv, so the sound say with cabel channels is ok (only ok), when watching. However, switch over to one of the apps - the built in apps that come on the tv when bought - and there is practically no sound. Turn volume right up, to 40/50, and its what you would hear on my same brand tv at level 13-15. There is defiantly an issue with the sound on the tv, im in no doubt, so thank you for clarifying what i should do next, i wasnt sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would look up their model and see what others are saying. Yours is just the same brand, you need same model. It could be that the model simply has low sound and is therefore not considered faulty.

I heard some tvs ship these days with "token speakers", as they are expecting people to be using soundbars or surround sound systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Smaller TVs i.e. 32 inch etc will have reasonably decent speakers as these aren't expected to be primary living room TVs

But larger TVs will be expected to be coupled with soundbars/surround sound systems etc so I'm sure that there are only mickey mouse speakers bundled with those TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

Is it mounted in such a way that the speakers are muffled?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Smaller TVs i.e. 32 inch etc will have reasonably decent speakers as these aren't expected to be primary living room TVs

But larger TVs will be expected to be coupled with soundbars/surround sound systems etc so I'm sure that there are only mickey mouse speakers bundled with those TVs.

Both TV's are the same size.

I hear exactly where your coming from, but thats absolutely ridiculous. The folks would have been better not spending as much money on a state of the art tv, bought a lower range one, and bought a sound system.
    The logic in dropping a decent chunk of money on some kind of fancy TV and then being expected to fork out another few hundred for a good sound system is a bit ridiculous.

cml387 wrote: »
    Is it mounted in such a way that the speakers are muffled?

No, its on a bracket, but the bracket is then pulled out from the wall, so the tv isnt up against a wall of anything like that.

Thanks for all your ideas and replies, im just going to get back on to the shop again and see what they say and go from there, either way I am not leaving it ill keep going and see where I get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mel123 wrote: »
    Both TV's are the same size.

I hear exactly where your coming from, but thats absolutely ridiculous. The folks would have been better not spending as much money on a state of the art tv, bought a lower range one, and bought a sound system.
    The logic in dropping a decent chunk of money on some kind of fancy TV and then being expected to fork out another few hundred for a good sound system is a bit ridiculous.

well if you're prepared to shell out big money for a big screen TV with UHD HDR etc then it would probably follow that sound quality is important to you too.

Just the way it is with flat screen technology - it's very hard to incorporate the speaker boxes needed for any meaningful level of quality or volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

lawred2 wrote: »
    Just the way it is with flat screen technology - it's very hard to incorporate the speaker boxes needed for any meaningful level of quality or volume.

+1 most people swallow the sale pitch about the sexy ultra-slim design and the borderless screen, it never occurs to them that you can't squeeze decent speakers into a shell that's as slim as a beermat.

Advertisement