Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pup - obsessed with cars

• 30-11-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

We recently got a new dog from, approx 7 months old collie x. Beautiful dog, great temperament and excellent with the kids. The only problem is when we go for a walk, always watching for the cars and then lunges. Not just one or two cars but every single car. I have tried distracting him, bringing treats, short leash but he is obsessed and so focused on the cars. The walk is not enjoyable at all and it is too dark in the evenings to bring him to park etc.

1. What is the best way to help my dog with this?
    2. Do dogs outgrow this? If I keep bringing him on walks will he eventually get bored.
    3. We are going to obedience classes in January but will dog car chasing need further training.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

If your dogs anything like ours then there's 2 overlapping things going on there that shouldn't be that had to fix.

1. It's a collie pup and so is full of beans so needs to blow off alot of energy, alot more than what a walk will use up. If the parks too dark something like tug or a flirtpole will work.

2. The dog thinks cars are exciting, if you can go somewhere after the dog is worked hard and sit at a sufficient distance from cars so that they're too far away to get excited, he'll probably not react to them.
    Over time repeat this getting closer to them, so long as the dogs tired it should consistently get easier and in time the car=excitement association will be broken

Advertisement