Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview - Perfect signal in one room / Broken signal in another???

• 30-11-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭

Hey,

had Saorview working in the main room and bedroom. Since the bad storms in October the main room has been acting up. Sometimes perfect signal, sometimes no signal. The bedroom has had a perfect signal.

A single cable comes from the aerial on the roof, this goes into a 4 way splitter and splits the signal into the main room, bedroom, kids room (not being used) with one spare.

I thought that there might have been an issue with the 4 way splitter (it wasnt very protected stuck behind the gutter) so I changed it yesterday. But if anything the signal in the main room is worse. The bedroom is still perfect!

Has anyone come across a similar problem? Apart from running another coax cable to the main room, which isnt really a runner as the original cable went in during an extension and is in behind the TV on the wall which I dont plan on taking down. Is there anything else I can try?

Many thanks,

Branners

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

If you think the storm caused the harm, then the fault is most likely at the aerial itself, or in the cable from aerial to splitter, with the signal to all rooms taking a hit.

Some kind of weatherproof enclosure for the splitter wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

Thurston? wrote: »
    If you think the storm caused the harm, then the fault is most likely at the aerial itself, or in the cable from aerial to splitter, with the signal to all rooms taking a hit.

But that is the thing, the bedroom hasnt had a problem at all. The splitter has been changed so it must be the cable running to the main room, but what could go wrong with a coax cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

branners69 wrote: »
    But that is the thing, the bedroom hasnt had a problem at all. The splitter has been changed so it must be the cable running to the main room, but what could go wrong with a coax cable?

The problem most likely is that your aerial setup is borderline.

The sensitivity of tuners differs in different devices (boxes and TV's).

One way to prove this point is to take the working device (in the bedroom) to the other room or vice versa. Try the device not working in the other room in the working room. Process of elimination.

THEN, Check the connections on either end of the cables going from the working room to the other.

Might be that your aerial/amplifier setup needs to be tweaked.

STB. wrote: »
    The problem most likely is that your aerial setup is borderline.

The sensitivity of tuners differs in different devices (boxes and TV's).

One way to prove this point is to take the working device (in the bedroom) to the other room or vice versa. Try the device not working in the other room in the working room. Process of elimination.

THEN, Check the connections on either end of the cables going from the working room to the other.

Might be that your aerial/amplifier setup needs to be tweaked.

Unfortunately both devices are TVs and are on the wall. So I am not in a position to do a process of elimination. I was thinking about picking up a cheap Saorview box which I could use to test the signals but I would have an installer out to have a look at it for the price of one!

Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... what could go wrong with a coax cable?

Water can get in, with the connection box at the aerial being a usual suspect for a point of ingress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JODedia

Unfortunately both devices are TVs and are on the wall. So I am not in a position to do a process of elimination. I was thinking about picking up a cheap Saorview box which I could use to test the signals but I would have an installer out to have a look at it for the price of one!

Thanks for the advice.

Did you try this/did it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

JODedia wrote: »

Not far off from 3 years on. He may even have moved house by now.

Not far off from 3 years on. He may even have moved house by now.

Am still here :)
    JODedia wrote: »

To be honest I didnt do anything (apart from change the splitter), thankfully the problem went away. Was a strange one :confused:

Advertisement