Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League Darts 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

For a fella with voltage for his nickname you'd think he'd have a better walk on song like EMF you're unbelievable or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Well tonight really has been one of the poorest nights of the league so far.

The competition really could do with a shake up to keep things interesting.

Maybe do away with draws altogether and award bonus point if you lose by a single leg....

You could have a top 3 with a 4 & 5 play off to reach the final 4.

Have winning matches worth 3 points after the first elimination.

None of these are ideal, and off the top of my head, but the end goal should be to mimic knockout format (no draws) and keep as many players (and viewers) interested as long as possible.

Awful time for a 43 from Smith.

... followed up by a 48!

Michael Smith is such a talent, but when he does that you feel like telling him to slow down!.... I know that doesn't work like that for a player lile him, but it just seems so counterintuitive when watching that vital darts just seemed to be chucked at the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Good game between Cross and Smith there.

That outfit does Part no favours whatsoever

• Advertisement

NDWC wrote:
    That outfit does Part no favours whatsoever

Agreed, someone needs to tell him about the no tuck rule.

Agreed, someone needs to tell him about the no tuck rule.

He really has piled on the weight over the years

Final game between two of the most out of form players. Also two of the most naturally talented.

Looks like Wright is up for it. Good start for wright and barney might walk off.

Barney looks anything but interested in playing a darts match.

NDWC wrote:
    He really has piled on the weight over the years

Apparently he's lost lots of weight recently?!

I do like Part's commentry though. He's so good at counting and management. Streets ahead of Mardle's ramblings.

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote:

Don't think we'll be seeing the 3 dart averages from Sky here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Bob Harris wrote: »

Really annoying and frustrating when "that" Barney turns up which is a lot more frequently in recent years.

Looks like he's completely lost interest

TbL

Apparently he's lost lots of weight recently?!

I do like Part's commentry though. He's so good at counting and management. Streets ahead of Mardle's ramblings.

He's the best commentator on Sky for me

If he's lost a bit fair play to him, would love to see him playing in the TV tournaments again

NDWC wrote: »
    He's the best commentator on Sky for me

If he's lost a bit fair play to him, would love to see him playing in the TV tournaments again

He got to the semi of the UK Open there a couple of weeks back. It was televised but fans weren't allowed into the venue due to adverse weather conditions.

Was a bit surreal.

Part can't compete on the scoring front but he's still steady and can play under pressure. Can't see him at the business end of many big tournaments though

TbL

He played in the UK open and reached the semi finals this year, was on ITV though, so hard to see if you've got Sky. Nice to see, but he staggered through every round with 80-85 avgs!

I love Barney, but i do get tired of this crap. Hit two treble 20's but was walking to the board before his thrid dart left his hand.

The second I saw Barney's face during the walk on I knew he was losing. He couldn't have looked any less interested

Barney looked like he had no interest in that match and if I was deciding on the line up for next year I wouldn't bother my bollocks inviting him.

Bob Harris wrote:
    Barney looked like he had no interest in that match and if I was deciding on the line up for next year I wouldn't bother my bollocks inviting him.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Get a couple of the up and coming young guys in.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Get a couple of the up and coming young guys in.

Think Cadby would be a good addition and he'd spice it up if nothing else

TbL

Not sure if amyone stayed on to watch the Bristow v Taylor semi @ the circus tavern, but my god, comapred to the PL we just saw.... Night and Day. The production, the atmosphere, the vibe....

• Advertisement

.... the sparkling shirts!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Not sure if amyone stayed on to watch the Bristow v Taylor semi @ the circus tavern, but my god, comapred to the PL we just saw.... Night and Day. The production, the atmosphere, the vibe....

Oh how I loved the circus tavern! They used to open the doors at 3pm for a 7pm start and the place was packed. My favourite venue by far! I've never been to the Winter Gardens though.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Oh how I loved the circus tavern! They used to open the doors at 3pm for a 7pm start and the place was packed. My favourite venue by far! I've never been to the Winter Gardens though.

Bet you weren't singing that daft Yaya & Kolo Toure song either!

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Bet you weren't singing that daft Yaya & Kolo Toure song either!

TbL

No definitely not. You could hear a pin drop when a player was throwing but the place would go metal after a throw. If you look at the sudden death leg between Taylor and Barney in 2007 final you will see what I mean. Incredible atmosphere.

I sometimes mute the volume when I'm watching the darts to drown out the crowd noise but I can never do it for too long as I like to hear the darts hit the board.

Whatever about daft songs the thing that drives me mad about darts "fans" in recent years is the booing when a player "fails" to hit a 9 darter.

Only a pissed up moron could boo an unsuccessful 9 darter attempt. It requires extraordinary skill and focus.

It's pathetic and any real darts fan would never do it

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

its not a serious boo , the players always smile when it happens , the boo is normally followed by a round of applause depending how close they got to the 9 darter

people are comparing 10-15000 to venues that hold 1000 to 2000 .' i liked it better when it wasn't as popular '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I sometimes mute the volume when I'm watching the darts to drown out the crowd noise but I can never do it for too long as I like to hear the darts hit the board.

Whatever about daft songs the thing that drives me mad about darts "fans" in recent years is the booing when a player "fails" to hit a 9 darter.

Only a pissed up moron could boo an unsuccessful 9 darter attempt. It requires extraordinary skill and focus.

It's pathetic and any real darts fan would never do it

TbL

Ah here lad, you need to stop taking things so serious, and its perfectly clear to anyone that the boos are ironic.

And these ''pissed up morons'' as you call them are the reason the game even survived never mind the fact that the top players are all able to make a very comfortable living out of the game.

peteeeed wrote: »
    its not a serious boo , the players always smile when it happens , the boo is normally followed by a round of applause depending how close they got to the 9 darter

people are comparing 10-15000 to venues that hold 1000 to 2000 .' i liked it better when it wasn't as popular '

Fair enough peteeeed, I really don't like it at all and think it's disrespectful.

What other individual sport fans boo when a player misses the pinnacle achievement in their sport, I can't think of any.

I'm not so naive to think that darts popularity would be where it is today without the marketing and crowds but I just don't get that mentality

TbL

danganabu wrote: »
    Ah here lad, you need to stop taking things so serious, and its perfectly clear to anyone that the boos are ironic.

And these ''pissed up morons'' as you call them are the reason the game even survived never mind the fact that the top players are all able to make a very comfortable living out of the game.

See my post above.

I've watched darts since the very early 80's and yes maybe I'm unfashionably old school, still don't think it's right to boo and the irony must be lost on me.

TbL

Ps. When you're over 50 even putting your socks on in the morning is a serious business:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

See my post above.

I've watched darts since the very early 80's and yes maybe I'm unfashionably old school, still don't think it's right to boo and the irony must be lost on me.

TbL

Ah look I know exaclty where you are coming from, but the world in general and sport in particular has changed, the bottom line in pretty much everything now is $$$$

Advertisement