Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you vlookup?

• 30-11-2017 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

This one is aimed at the office workers.

Do you know how to vlookup? If you work with excel on a daily basis, shouldn't you know this very simple function?

I'm sick of getting emails from people who have worked with spreadsheets for years asking me to do this stuff, people who I would have thought were reasonably tech savvy.

What gives?? Are they lazy or stupid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Vlookup is so last year, it's all about INDEX MATCH now.

Vlookup hlookup index match, but my favourite is still sumproduct(--(lookup column) (lookup row) (sumrange))
    Not to be confused with normal sumproduct, it just does a vlookup or hlookup or both and sums the results instead of only returning the first result. Has to be the handiest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

I don't know what a Tracker Mortgage is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I can pivet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Vlookup sounds like a dating app:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

yeah, vlookup, hlookup, index match, pivot tables

my boss currently loves me because I can add a second vertical axis on charts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

pelvis, i feel you pain, i work in IT, users dont want to learn, they just want the answers! :)

the newer versions of excel literally tell you what you need to do, but even then they wont get it right.

my personal favourite is =sumif :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

yeah, vlookup, hlookup, index match, pivot tables

my boss currently loves me because I can add a second vertical axis on charts :D

It's all so very 1990s.

Yes, seriously. I was doing that stuff in Excel in the last century, before some of you were even born.

It's OLD.

Seems to me there are more people who don't know how to do that stuff in Excel / Sheets now than ever before. Youngsters who didn't get to watch the office-productivity tools grow, eagerly awaiting each new release to see what new things were possible. They know how to do simple formulas, but never bothered learning anything beyond that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do you guys even inner join?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

If you don't test your results for significance then don't even talk to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Vlot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

this sounds like it should have a forum of its own...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Seems to me there are more people who don't know how to do that stuff in Excel / Sheets now than ever before. Youngsters who didn't get to watch the office-productivity tools grow, eagerly awaiting each new release to see what new things were possible. They know how to do simple formulas, but never bothered learning anything beyond that.

It's gotten too complex to grasp to the point of being productive without a real world context and lots of practice through examples. Tuition in an environment where no real harm can be done is what's needed, IMO with a huge cost in time and fumbling. As someone who spent most of the noughties doing manual labour and not 'growing up' with it, I'm seriously disadvantaged now. Once I have my degree finished next year, I'm going to have to circle back and see what's out there to help in terms of tuition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

countif for me, preferably in conditional formatting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

vlookup, pivot, macros and for the last couple of months google scripts. For building spreadsheet templates, my favourite on is still the simple IF.

And yes, I get your frustration. Spreadsheet programs (Excel, LibreOffice, Google sheet) all hold an enormous number of ways to facilitate your work, via formulas, formatting and macros.
    And most users never get past "Sum". Some don't even get that far. I sometimes feel sorry for the clever people who developed these programs.

Do you guys even inner join?

Select * from AH where poster not in (select distinct poster from AH where not inner join)
    Lols

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Do you lads even Panda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

How to ruin a perfectly good morning: hit F1 instead of F2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seriously, if people can learn to do sumif, pivots, and vlookups then some job interviewers will consider them to be geniuses!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's all fun and games until you move abroad and all the formulas have different names.

****. That. Noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

INDEX MATCH Master Race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I try to steer people towards INDEX MATCH or INDIRECT MATCH however once you start explaining about the difference between absolute and relative cell referencing eyes become glazed.

Once I roll out array formula they treat me like some form of magician.

Really first and foremost they need to worry about how they're structuring their data and worrying about the formulas later but they tend to show up with some pile of disjointed, unorganised pile of information that they somehow think a vlookup will fix for them...

My favourite though are the invisible boxes people manage to somehow create on spreadsheets. I've never been able to figure out where they come from but they're a pain to remove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

People still use Excel? :pac:

Vlookup sounds like a dating app:)

V for voyeur :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Array formulae.
    Great youtube channel for learnin excel.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkndrGoNpUDV-uia6a9jwVg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You guys should hold a party....

In a function room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

A recruitment agent once suggested that Pivot Tables and Vlookups were 'Advanced Excel'.

I can only assume the hiring company was run by Arts students or chimpanzees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I'm rather partial to sumifs at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Anyone remember that secret game that was in older versions of Excel?

I think it was a racing game.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    A recruitment agent once suggested that Pivot Tables and Vlookups were 'Advanced Excel'.

I can only assume the hiring company was run by Arts students or chimpanzees.

Bill Jelen would disagree.

Have been dabbling in Excel since it first came out. Used to spend hours perfecting formulae with any number of statements. In today's version of excel, it literally writes the formula for you. What was once advanced in Excel is now just basic excel but many people are unable or too lazy to learn the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Any 123 fans? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

These days I skip Excel and go straight to R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm an excel luddite compared to some people here, but the feeling that comes from writing a complex formula (complex for me anyway) and not getting "FALSE" is comparable to an orgasm.

=IF(O5<=1,(K5/100*3*40),IF(O5=2,(K5/100*4*40),IF(O5>=3,(K5/100*6*40))))

That little beaut was causing "FALSE" down the table where data hadn't been inputted in before I realised that putting the "<" in the first "IF" would sort it.

Huzzah for excel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ficheall wrote: »
    People still use Excel? :pac:

Shurrup! Excel rules!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm an excel luddite compared to some people here, but the feeling that comes from writing a complex formula (complex for me anyway) and not getting "FALSE" is comparable to an orgasm.

=IF(O5<=1,(K5/100*3*40),IF(O5=2,(K5/100*4*40),IF(O5>=3,(K5/100*6*40))))

That little beaut was causing "FALSE" down the table where data hadn't been inputted in before I realised that putting the "<" in the first "IF" would sort it.

Huzzah for excel.

=IF(O5<=1,(K5*1.2),IF(O5=2,(K5*1.60),IF(O5>=3,(K5*2.4))))

Fixed that for you:D

=IF(O5<=1,(K5*1.2),IF(O5=2,(K5*1.60),IF(O5>=3,(K5*2.4))))

Fixed that for you:D

It works, but I'm a bit baffled. How does it still produce the right figure without the *40??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,645 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Or another variation :p

K5*SUM((O5<=1)*1.2,(O5=2)*1.6,(O5>=3)*2.4)

Edit to add: What is the expected result if O5 was somewhere between 1 and 2 e.g. O5 is 1.5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Where should someone go to learn this stuff from, scratch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Google's your friend. Find yourself an example of what you'd like to do or calculate, and google it.
    Nearly everything I know about Excel I learned through this, or through trial and error :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Excel? Geez, learn to code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

TBH I wouldn't bother, not if you don't actually use excel regularly, and learning it won't help you achieve much of anything on it's own.

Learn a programming language instead, it's fun, and you can actually do something with it. I'd recommend Python or Java to start off with.

Or another variation :p

K5*SUM((O5<=1)*1.2,(O5=2)*1.6,(O5>=3)*2.4)

Edit to add: What is the expected result if O5 was somewhere between 1 and 2 e.g. O5 is 1.5?

Mind blown by this one. It's absolutely producing the correct figures.

O5 can only be a whole number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Google's your friend. Find yourself an example of what you'd like to do or calculate, and google it.
    Nearly everything I know about Excel I learned through this, or through trial and error :D

As you can see from my getting slapped down there after posting what I considered a great formula just knowing a way of doing it and using google to help can produce the correct results, but people with proper experience who do it a lot can usually make the formulas much more elegant.

I'm still trying to figure out how the two shorter revised ones work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Lol. I was talking my my OH about vlookups the other day (I know right). He uses them in his job the odd time and he told me for ages he used to call them v-card lookups. I had to explain to him that "losing your v-card" is slang in the states for losing your virginity. He was wondering why people were looking at him funny when asking for help with v-card lookups!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,645 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out how the two shorter revised ones work....

The formula I posted works as follows:

The bits in brackets (O5<=1), (O5=2) and (O5>=3) are turned into the words TRUE or FALSE by Excel when it's processing the formula (the term is 'Boolean' if you're looking it up). So, for example, if O5 is 2, it will give FALSE, TRUE and FALSE respectively-> O5 is not less than 1, so FALSE is the result of the first bit above in brackets; it is equal to 2, so that gives TRUE for the second bit above in brackets; finally, it's not greater than or equal to 3 so that returns FALSE

These TRUE/FALSE results are then multiplied by different values (1.2, 1.6 and 2.4 respectively). When you multiply the words 'TRUE' or 'FALSE' by a number in Excel, Excel treats those words as 1 or 0 respectively, so the result of the multiplication is 0 [FALSE*1.2], 1.6 [TRUE*1.6] and 0 [FALSE*2.4]. This sums up to 1.6.

Then the value at the very start of the formula, K5, is multiplied by 1.6... and voila :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Prefer to use get pivot. It references data instead of redoing calculations, so less memory intensive.

Youtube,the channel ExcelIsFun is very good but start from the earliest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement