Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Grant funding announced

Options
  • 30-11-2017 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

Well done to all the cycling and triathlon clubs who received grant funding in the DTTAS announcement yesterday.

Guess which cycling club received by far the most in the whole country ? (Over 25% of the total funding to all Cycling and Tri Clubs)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

spyderski wrote: »
    Well done to all the cycling and triathlon clubs who received grant funding in the DTTAS announcement yesterday.

Guess which cycling club received by far the most in the whole country ?

Tell me its not a small club from Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

smacl wrote: »
    Tell me it not a small club from Mayo.

I cannot tell you that, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I cannot tell you that, I'm afraid.

Even on such comparitively minor issues, we live in a rotten, corrupt kip of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

COUNTY|ORGANISATION|PROJECT TITLE|ALLOCATION
    Cavan|Smugglers Cycling Club|Static Cycling Equipment|€500
    Cavan|Virginia Triathlon & Cycling Club|Growing Virginia Triathlon & Cycling Club(VTCC)|€4,200
    Cork|Youghal Cycling Club|Develop Junior/Youth Section in our club|€2,500
    Kerry|Finuge Freewheelers Cycling Club|Non personal sports equipment|€2,000
    Kerry|Killarney Cycling Club|turbo trainer rollers and club gazebo.|€600
    Kilkenny|Deenside Wheelers Cycling Club|Deenside Wheelers Cycling Club|€3,500
    Limerick|Team Adare Cycling Club|Team Adare Cycling Club Equipment Requesition|€3,500
    Louth|Louth W.A.T.C.H. Club|Tandem bikes, Cycling Helmets & Hi Vis Jackets|€18,000
    Mayo|Achill Wheelers Cycling Club|Achill Wheelers Cycling Club Getting people active|€1,150
    Mayo|Islandeady Cycling Club|Sports equipment for Disability & rehabilitation|€10,000
    Monaghan|ERRIGAL TRUAGH SPECIAL NEEDS PARENTS & FRIENDS Ltd|Cycling / walking Track and Storage Shed|€15,000
    Monaghan|Killylough Cycling Club|Purchase of Cycling Equipment|€6,000
    Roscommon|Roscommon Sports Partnership|Roscommon Sports Partnership Cycling For All|€900
    Westmeath|Rosemount Cycling Club|Promotion of paracycling in Rosemount Cycling Club|€4,500

Source: http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/sport/english/sports-capital-programme-2017-local-allocations/2017-scp-list-grants-publication.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

terrydel wrote: »
    Even on such comparitively minor issues, we live in a rotten, corrupt kip of a country.

https://ourworldindata.org/corruption/

Throw a pin at map here and move to wherever it lands and you'll in all probabilty you'll end up somewhere worse.

Lots of other EU countries are worse, some are better.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If it is spent on what they put in their application I have no issue. They are a Sports club like all Cycling clubs and are entitled to apply for such grants. It is slightly unusual in that most cycling clubs have little in the way of capital investment to consider. There are much bigger figures allocated to sports organisations that have a significant need for capital funding. I guess we do benefit whenever they re-lay a road, albeit that seems way to infrequent at present!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They've applied to the correct grant this time, they've been clearer in their purpose this time, No issue.

Best thing out of this is I've just found out what W.A.T.C.H. is in Louth and it sounds like a great initiative.

Mod Note - I'm going to lock this thread however before people start making claims that can't be backed up. Some are already potentially close to the wind. and see what other mods think

<Mod Note 2> Opening this back up, as it's a worthwhile thread to have for a reason. Very few cycling clubs have got funding in the grand scheme of things. However, very few actually applied. It'worth leaving open to discuss, why not, how can this be changed and to promote it to clubs for future,

Keep it civil. Accusations won't be tolerated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm just bemused that one club listed hi-vis jackets as a cost - don't the RSA hand these out for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I know for a fact of 2 clubs that applied and got nothing.

• Advertisement

Guess which cycling club received by far the most in the whole country ? (Over 25% of the total funding to all Cycling and Tri Clubs)

Total funding to all Cycling and Triathlon clubs was 140,000. This is 7% of total funding.

i'm just bemused that one club listed hi-vis jackets as a cost - don't the RSA hand these out for free?

It's just the builders vest type ones, maybe the club wanted proper jackets for marshalling or something

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

List of unsuccessful applicants is here

Lumen wrote: »

Hmmm, so of the €55.8 million allocated in sports grants €57 thousand, or 0.1% if you prefer, got allocated to cycling clubs. Maybe instead of getting concerned about those few cycling clubs that may have got more than their due we should be looking at funding relative to other sports. For example, while GAA is popular, there are many single GAA clubs on that list that received more than double than the sum total awarded to all the cycling clubs in the country. Islandeady cycling club are hardly the real problem here. Only sayin'....

Weepsie wrote: »
    Total funding to all Cycling and Triathlon clubs was 140,000. This is 7% of total funding.

Think your sums may be a bit out there, total funding was €55m.

(0.14/55)*100 = 0.254 or 0.25%

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hmmm, so of the €55.8 million allocated in sports grants €57 thousand, or 0.1% if you prefer, got allocated to cycling clubs. Maybe instead of getting concerned about those few cycling clubs that may have got more than their due we should be looking at funding relative to other sports. For example, while GAA is popular, there are many single GAA clubs on that list that received more than double than the sum total awarded to all the cycling clubs in the country. Islandeady cycling club are hardly the real problem here. Only sayin'....
    It's for capital spending. Most cyclists already own bikes. Few cycling clubs have anything substantial of a capital nature

Anyway, hopefully they are holding it all back for the velodrome.

Think your sums may be a bit out there, total funding was €55m.

(0.14/55)*100 = 0.254 or 0.25%

No of the total 140,000 awarded Cycling or triathlon cubs, only 7% of that was to a particular club.

You have to be specific when applying, and specify what amount you're applying for and for what purpose. More clubs should be applying and for more money.

The one that I've a bit of an issue with is Blackrock College getting 150 k for an all weather pitch and lights. It's a private school with 1000 pupils at a minimum of 6,500 per year. They should be looking for funding privately I would think.

Many GAA/Rugby clubs etc will have facilities where 100k will be a minor contribution to overall project costs whereas most cycling clubs have no clubhouse

More money in general for sports would be a good spending of tax money; it stays within economy and gets people active, great social outlet etc etc

On Ireland and corruption I recently had a Swiss friend and his wife visit; the planning scandal he told me of in his home town would make Haughey/Burke/Lalor and the rest embarrassed.

Weepsie wrote: »
    No of the total 140,000 awarded Cycling or triathlon cubs, only 7% of that was to a particular club.

You have to be specific when applying, and specify what amount you're applying for and for what purpose. More clubs should be applying and for more money.

The one that I've a bit of an issue with is Blackrock College getting 150 k for an all weather pitch and lights. It's a private school with 1000 pupils at a minimum of 6,500 per year. They should be looking for funding privately I would think.

So paying a lot of tax disqualifies you from getting grants?

ford2600 wrote: »
    So paying a lot of tax disqualifies you from getting grants?
    No, being a bunch of famously entitled pricks ought to disqualify them from getting handouts from my taxes which I'd rather were spent on poor people.
    [Ross O'Carroll Kelly] recounts a tale about getting the Dart in 1997, “and a kid put his hand on my chest as the doors opened and he said ‘sorry dude, this is a Rock carriage’”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Maybe every cycling club should apply next year and request a velodrome?

Beasty wrote: »
    It's for capital spending. Most cyclists already own bikes. Few cycling clubs have anything substantial of a capital nature

Anyway, hopefully they are holding it all back for the velodrome.

Fair enough, but not much point in calling foul when one club gets a decent grant when so few others even applied. I counted just three cycling clubs on the failed list. There's certainly significant money being spent by club cyclists on cycling equipment leading it to be an expensive enough sports activity to take part in.

No, being a bunch of famously entitled pricks ought to disqualify them from getting handouts from my taxes which I'd rather were spent on poor people.

The premise of this thread and previous has been lack of transparency and a compliance with criteria.

On that basis what is justification for denying Blackrock or any other "pricks"

If you are that bothered by poor kids cut a cheque and claim the relief?

Fair enough, but not much point in calling foul when one club gets a decent grant when so few others even applied. I counted just three cycling clubs on the failed list. There's certainly significant money being spent by club cyclists on cycling equipment leading it to be an expensive enough sports activity to take part in.

That's personal choice. We all know we can get decent, serviceable bikes at a reasonable price that will enable us to partake in the simple act of cycling. We just choose to spend small fortunes on it

The premise of this thread and previous has been lack of transparency and a compliance with criteria.

On that basis what is justification for denying Blackrock or any other "pricks"

If you are that bothered by poor kids cut a cheque and claim the relief?
    You're expecting me to make extra contributions to the poor because my taxes are being frittered away on posh kids?

You're expecting me to make extra contributions to the poor because my taxes are being frittered away on posh kids?

That, point out where they didn't comply with grant criteria, get criteria changed seem to be your only options given your concern for poor kids?

The benefit of relief next November along with the smiles on childrens faces will be your reward.

That, point out where they didn't comply with grant criteria, get criteria changed seem to be your only options given your concern for poor kids?
    Why are you attempting to stifle a moral debate?

Did you go to Blackrock College? :D

Why are you attempting to stifle a moral debate?

Did you go to Blackrock College? :D

CBS High School. Youngest of 7 in a 1000sq ft house after an extension!

The last thread was a thank fest with outrage over failure to comply with criteria and still get money.

Blackrock qualify or they don't. There is no exclusion for being rich picks insofar as I know.

Blackrock qualify or they don't. There is no exclusion for being rich picks insofar as I know.

http://www.dttas.ie/sport/english/sports-capital-programme
    In particular, its objectives are to:
    - assist voluntary and community organisations, national governing bodies (NGBs) of sport, local authorities and in some cases VECs and schools to develop high quality, safe, well-designed, sustainable facilities in appropriate locations and to provide appropriate equipment to help maximise participation in sport and physical recreation
    - prioritise the needs of disadvantaged areas in the provision of sports facilities
    - encourage the multi-purpose use of local, regional and national sports facilities by clubs, community organisations and national governing bodies of sport

• Advertisement

That's promoting a positive bias toward poor areas not an exclusion for rich areas?

Advertisement