Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

I was on the reserve panel for a few years and was always called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Got a letter of refusal today also. Teaching 15 years and have been superintending 10 years. When I was superintending I was always the youngest superintendent- lots of retired teachers.Looks like only place with shortages is in Dublin. Gave up a permanent position 3 years ago to relocate nearer home and still no job so more than likely cannot do superintending anyway seeing as if any job interviews come up they will be in June. It's so frustrating :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Also I notice the envelopes for returning acceptance/refusal for superintending are not prepaid like the practicals.

Yes, I noticed that too. It was tight of them, but also annoying because I have to find a stamp - or rather 28cent stamp to match the pack of 72cent stamps I bought ages ago in anticipation of avoiding queuing up in a post office.

If you do the elections or election count, for instance, you can apply to the Returning Officer online. You get offered the position online, and you do the required training (watching a video and answering questions) online. There's no reason why the DoES can't do more aspects of its recruitment online/without postage stamps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

sitstill wrote: »
    What has the daily rate gone up to?

smc3nd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭doc_17

Didn’t apply for it this year. The way they treat people is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

gaiscioch wrote: »
    sitstill wrote: »
    What has the daily rate gone up to?

smc3nd.jpg
    mileage has gone down so I will make less :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Got mine today and got it, have been doing it five years. Just ain't feeling it now so rejecting it, getting less and less money every year and not sure it is worth the hassle. Am in Dublin too

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shannongreen

Hi, I got the letter for the reserve panel. How does that work exactly? We just wait and see?
    Also how far can you be placed? I'm sharing a car so I can't really go too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

SEC have advertised on educationposts for superintendent and written examiner posts. Maybe if you submit a letter to say you're prepared to work in different counties for superintendent- you might be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

SEC have advertised on educationposts for superintendent and written examiner posts. Maybe if you submit a letter to say you're prepared to work in different counties for superintendent- you might be considered.

But teachers were always sent to different counties as standard practice until a few years ago when they decided to keep down expenses. Which is fine, but the notion that we would have to reapply and say that we are willing to travel (which a lot of teachers are) when we are on reserve and not offered a position is frustrating.

I'll probably get a phone call the first week of the LC offering me a position in Dublin last minute when they don't deem me worthy of the expenses involved to offer it to me this month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'll probably get a phone call the first week of the LC offering me a position in Dublin last minute when they don't deem me worthy of the expenses involved to offer it to me this month.

I'm still quite shocked that given your extensive history of work for the SEC that they would not have seen you as suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »
    I'm still quite shocked that given your extensive history of work for the SEC that they would not have seen you as suitable.

Ya. I know I don’t have a god given right to be offered superintending but I am surprised to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I was thinking about too. Vacancies exist but they still won't give positions now to those who might need overnights who are definitely available , saving it to the last minute.

When do they allow you stay in the one school for superitending? I've been moved around quite a bit and I really liked the place I was in last year. Hoping to get it again. I see other SEC appointed superintendents have stayed years in the same school.

But teachers were always sent to different counties as standard practice until a few years ago when they decided to keep down expenses. Which is fine, but the notion that we would have to reapply and say that we are willing to travel (which a lot of teachers are) when we are on reserve and not offered a position is frustrating.

I wasn't aware of that. I have always been placed locally. Yes, on second thoughts you shouldn't have to reapply, you did already and therefore should be given work before someone applying after the initial deadline.

I know what I'd say to the SEC if they left it that late.

I’ll be walking out the door on Friday 2nd June and I’ll be content in the knowledge that I’m finished. In fact, that contentment has already set in. As I said, they deserve to be struggling, people won’t put up with that sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

I applied last week said I would travel to Dublin and got accepted. First time applying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Just got another email from the State Examination Commission looking for examiners!
    Looking for all subject at JC and LC, especially in Irish. Also looking for superintendents for the Greater Dublin area.
    https://www.examinations.ie/recruitment/

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Just got another email from the State Examination Commission looking for examiners!
    Looking for all subject at JC and LC, especially in Irish. Also looking for superintendents for the Greater Dublin area.

When they pay awful rates It’s hardly surprising to hear they are struggling to get staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

angeldaisy wrote: »

Yeah, ive heard they are struggling this year. People just are not interested in it.

Maybe make it more lucrative and people might sign up.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The pay rate just isn't enough for the hours tbh. I'd have to put my three year old into childcare to try and do it. So its a toss up between getting paid my normal pay and not having to cover childcare out of it so being up money on term time because I'm off or paying to put my child in childcare, working my ass off multiple hours a day and getting almost nothing additional out of it by the time I pay the childcare from the after tax payment. I'm definitely sticking with the former, even though I'd actually like to examine music. I'd imagine thats the case for a lot of people my age

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

If doing the superintending job do you get paid anything at all while actually working, like the way if your making the exams you get a small payment at the start?

You do get a small payment mid way through superintending but be aware that you will have to pay your student attendant from that and depending on the length of your exam centre that could mean you could be out money until final pay day.

Spoke to the nice folk in superintendents today.....they are starting placing today!

We still won't hear until the week before though. Here's hoping I get the same place as last year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

doc_17 wrote: »
    I’ll be walking out the door on Friday 2nd June and I’ll be content in the knowledge that I’m finished. In fact, that contentment has already set in. As I said, they deserve to be struggling, people won’t put up with that sh*t.

Am the same doc & l’ll be on a ferry by 4!

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    We still won't hear until the week before though. Here's hoping I get the same place as last year :)

I know!! They were so nice to me though. :)
    I kind of got a feeling while I was speaking to the lady I won’t get the same place as last year but could be wrong!! I actually really like the place I was in. I have been there 3 years I think!! Or maybe 2? Anyway it was the year after the changed the subsistence/mileage rules!

I've had 2 in the same place too which was great. Before that I was constantly moving. Fingers crossed.

Did anyone get any post today?
    I was half thinking we might hear today....but nothing came here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Millem wrote: »
    Did anyone get any post today?
    I was half thinking we might hear today....but nothing came here!

Nada here. They're some bunch of lads for leaving it until the last minute :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Nada here. They're some bunch of lads for leaving it until the last minute :rolleyes:

It will probably be Tuesday so we have a week to contact schools.

Advertisement