Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Furbabymomma, the conclusion date is now on your letter and you know you have a leaving cert centre. Have a look at

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/EN-EX-36626279.pdf

Now you won't be in for every option exam but you get a fair idea of what a leaving cert superintending day looks like. English paper 2 will be long day 5.20. And you have the PO to get to before it shuts. And saying that you could have a student in a separate centre with RA that gets extra time.hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I have 'only' 7 days too, but trust me, that's long enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I have 'only' 7 days too, but trust me, that's long enough! :)

Lol well when you're unemployed and we're hoping for a bit longer, another few days would have been nice! But sure it's a nice taster in case I do hate it .

Sorry for all the questions, previous posts have helped clear them up. I'll watch the video beforehand as well, and I've already contacted my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Lol well when you're unemployed and we're hoping for a bit longer, another few days would have been nice! But sure it's a nice taster in case I do hate it .

Sorry for all the questions, previous posts have helped clear them up. I'll watch the video beforehand as well, and I've already contacted my school.

Ah you won't hate it. If anything you'll have a new-found sympathy for the kids doing the exams.

I used to always say to my guys "it's only about two and a half weeks of your life" but I will never forget looking at the timetable last year on the Friday the exams began, realising I had only been in that room 3 days, yet it had felt like 3 weeks! Time has never stood so still hehe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    What exactly did your previous letter state?

The original letter was just the standard offer. I had to send it back to say if I would accept or not. It said that I would be appointed a school at a later date and that if I pulled out offer I was appointed a school I would be be able to work for the SEC again.

It didn't say anything about being on a reserve panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

furbaby if your house is anything like mine (small kids and dogs!!) it is probably the only time you will get to have a cup of tea made for you and get to drink it in silence ;) and also get brought biscuits!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Millem wrote: »
    furbaby if your house is anything like mine (small kids and dogs!!) it is probably the only time you will get to have a cup of tea made for you and get to drink it in silence ;) and also get brought biscuits!!!!

My God ive never relished that cup of tea and biscuit so much. Slurped like a madman, clinking spoon ... going "ahhhhh" after every sip.
    Students seemed a bit antsy for some reason :pac:

I can never drink the tea quietly. Never mind open the packet of biscuits. I sneak the polo mints in instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Got mine. Withdrawing as too far away and got LC centre. Cannot make those long evenings work with childcare as it's a longer commute than I currently do and there's the potential for the candidate that gets the 20mins. I had indicated such circumstances on acceptance form but to no joy.
    I'll make some of it back from the savings I'll get from childcare. I'd be killing myself driving like a mad one acround country roads to make not a whole lot of money it must ne said. Not worth it. On the plus it's a bonus few days off for me before I begin marking later in the month

On a side note think I overheard our exam secretary saying this is the Last year he's doing it - does anyone know what that's like? I know it's probably a lot of putting out fires in my place with students having meltdowns etc but overall what's it like? I presume you don't get travel and just a daily allowance?

Millem wrote: »

Lmao I currently have 2 toddlers, 3 dogs covering the house in hair and am 6.5 months pregnant so safe to say my tae is usually of the cold variety :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Got the same centre as last 4 yrs.....only 6 days this year,so doesn’t it make sense to keep my child in care for the month!
    .......gonna do it regardless & enjoy my extended summer!......not taking it personally as it’s been swings and roundabouts with centre duration and its probably an LCA centre with short days so I’ll just make the most of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

I'm scheduled to collect the papers at 10am in the national show centre. Is anyone down to collect them earlier or is that the earliest possible time. I was written down for 11am collection last year and it was no problem to collect at ten, just wondering will they be even open at 9?

Got mine. Withdrawing as too far away and got LC centre. Cannot make those long evenings work with childcare as it's a longer commute than I currently do and there's the potential for the candidate that gets the 20mins. I had indicated such circumstances on acceptance form but to no joy.
    I'll make some of it back from the savings I'll get from childcare. I'd be killing myself driving like a mad one acround country roads to make not a whole lot of money it must ne said. Not worth it. On the plus it's a bonus few days off for me before I begin marking later in the month

On a side note think I overheard our exam secretary saying this is the Last year he's doing it - does anyone know what that's like? I know it's probably a lot of putting out fires in my place with students having meltdowns etc but overall what's it like? I presume you don't get travel and just a daily allowance?

You apply directly to your school for it. I think there's a good daily rate attached to it but again a lot of organising to be done. I've met some very organised exam secretaries and some incredibly disorganised ones who obviously didn't read the job spec. if you are good at planning , go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

Hi guys a newbie to rhis superintendant gig. got my letter today. read through the material seems self explanatory but just a few quick questions anyone can help me with.
    1. do i need to turn up early for training at the distribution centre.
    2. do i need to contact the finance section straight away to send bank details etc.
    3. how much do you usually give the attendant is there a rate of payment and do i have to for that out of my own pocket.
    4. if the exam papers are being stored at the garda station I collect every morning right.
    5. what do you do if the exam finishes at 520 and post office closes at 530. can you store the exams in the garda station to be posted the following day. etc.
    only got letter now as was away all day I will give them a buzz tomorrow
    any help though would be great thanks

1. Attend only at the time on your letter. They are very strict on that. I've seen superintendents sent to the back of the line for arriving too early. You should have ample time to get the training video, check your box, go to the Garda station, and get to the school to set up.

2. Form for bank ac is available. Send it asap so you get your installment in time.

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-CO-88413763.pdf

3. You will get a time sheet for your attendant in your pack. It's payable per session depending on the length of the exam. You should be able to pay your attendent out of the installment( 5 days from collection day).

4. You collect from the Garda station prior to every exam session. If it's not possible to go in the afternoon you may take for both sessions but be extra careful with storage. Keep it with you at all times. Check this with the SEC too.

5. Yes you may leave the completed papers back in the Garda station. However, many post offices tend to stay behind later on the days with the long exams so check with them first. Or if you are near a DSU they will take them and give you the necessary stamp for your record booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

The 'safe custody' of the exam papers may not be a Garda station. It's mostly the schools themselves. It'll be on your letter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

sandyxxx wrote: »
    Got the same centre as last 4 yrs.....only 6 days this year,so doesn’t it make sense to keep my child in care for the month!
    .......gonna do it regardless & enjoy my extended summer!......not taking it personally as it’s been swings and roundabouts with centre duration and its probably an LCA centre with short days so I’ll just make the most of it!

I'm in same position. Same centre duration again this year although funnily I have been sent to a different school. Was in last school only 2 days. I'll never understand how they allocate schools/centre durations etc

How many years do you usually get at the same school, 3 or 5?

sandyxxx wrote: »

When you see your centre number.....look for the letters before it!
    Jc is junior cert, lc leaving cert etc

Gosh I only every want 6/7 days!
    Miss the kids too much ;)
    I am doing JC 7 days and that is long enough for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

CWF wrote: »
    How many years do you usually get at the same school, 3 or 5?

I've asked them this question on the phone at least 3 times. The only ever response I get is "it depends".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

Generally 5 from my experience (this is my 11th year doing it) and from talking to others.
    Depends on number s as well I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Is there much difference between LCA and leaving cert I have been told its less days?

scoopmine wrote: »
    Is there much difference between LCA and leaving cert I have been told its less days?

Never did LCA but shorter exams (longer breaks) and they don’t have a separate stationary box! Very handy for the last day as I always struggle with getting rid of mine!!!
    In my own school we have very very small numbers for Lca so you would have less candidates however this is probably not the norm in most schools!

My experience is that you should expect some classroom management issues when supervising lca. Just things like phones going off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

My experience is that you should expect some classroom management issues when supervising lca. Just things like phones going off etc.

A number of them would have special centres so you might only have one or two. (Depending on the size of the school).

Had LCA in three separate schools over three years and never an issue. Same rules apply as any other centre. Rules stated on the first day and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Had LCA in three separate schools over three years and never an issue. Same rules apply as any other centre. Rules stated on the first day and no problems.

Yes you're correct there. If phones do go off- they go to Athlone to the SEC. students should be warned prior to every exam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LCA have most of their exams (tasks, interviews, assignments) already done, which is why there is just a small number of papers to be sat. The students generally have a pretty good idea of how they have already done.

Never had any issue supervising LCA that wasn't also there in LC and JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

I had LCA 1 year. You have to be at yourself. Bit of common sense and you’ll be grand.

• Advertisement

Innocent that I am, I didn't read the Financial Info booklet til tonight, meaning I didn't realise about sending off the bank details form and getting an advance...

Will I find out tomorrow how much I pay my attendant per session, as I didn't see it stated in either booklet?

Advertisement