Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Innocent that I am, I didn't read the Financial Info booklet til tonight, meaning I didn't realise about sending off the bank details form and getting an advance...

Will I find out tomorrow how much I pay my attendant per session, as I didn't see it stated in either booklet?

Yes there will be a salmon coloured sheet in your big envelope tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Innocent that I am, I didn't read the Financial Info booklet til tonight, meaning I didn't realise about sending off the bank details form and getting an advance...

Will I find out tomorrow how much I pay my attendant per session, as I didn't see it stated in either booklet?

Shame you didn't see the PDF I put up on this thread a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am thinking of changing my bank details.....I thought I did it today.....or will that be too late?

Has everyone who earnes under €70k jiggled around their usc bands? I did last year and only paid usc 5%....this year it’s reduced to 4.75% ;)

Watched the new video last night!!

Millem wrote: »
    I am thinking of changing my bank details.....I thought I did it today.....or will that be too late?

Has everyone who earnes under €70k jiggled around their usc bands? I did last year and only paid usc 5%....this year it’s reduced to 4.75% ;)

Watched the new video last night!!

Get the form, fill it in, and scan it to to them at financial@examinations.ie . It might get through before they get it through to their bank.

I saw that too. What stood out for me was the warnings about leaving your desk clear and double checking there's nothing on the candidate's desks. Did somebody make a mistake I wonder? Why do we have to ring the school once in the car after the distribution centre? We should have already called the school with our expected time when we got the letter of appointment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please, if anyone is superintending where children are doing the JC ESS exam, can you please NOT give them the JC Geography map? They have their own map for their map question.
    This is an issue with some Superintendents every year. It is a different subject.

Would also appreciate it if everybody put the scripts in order of examination number in the packets. Again, it's only a small number don't do this, but it is a real pain in the bum for examiners when numbering their papers before examining.

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Why do we have to ring the school once in the car after the distribution centre? We should have already called the school with our expected time when we got the letter of appointment.

I know I was wondering that too!!!

Gosh I have to go to that cloghran dog show place!!! desperate plave to find with google maps!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

I also noticed in the new video they said that apart from water no food and drink is allowed. I’ve had students in past eat a sweet or something similar quietly. I never thought it was an issue before. I myself would often eat something during the morning exam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I also noticed in the new video they said that apart from water no food and drink is allowed. I’ve had students in past eat a sweet or something similar quietly. I never thought it was an issue before. I myself would often eat something during the morning exam.

Presumably diabetic children are allowed bring something.

Another sledgehammer wielder. Unless they were milling into chicken balls and curry sauce, I can't see the issue with a roll of sweets, or even chocolate as long as it was not noisy.

Same as. Play the blind eye to the odd mint/ sweet. But Crisps would be a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Am I right in saying if I drove over 100km to my distribution centre today I can claim overnight allowance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Went to my centre today and every square inch of the room was covered in posters and the room was filthy. Jeez.

Do you only have to send on bank details if you've changed them since last yr?

What amount of graffiti on desks do you let go before saying anything?

The distribution centre was mad today. Boiling hot and queuing to get those miserable little trollies that are going to have someone's eye out when the strap breaks. Didn't have to endure the video and wasn't told to ring school either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marina24

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Went to my centre today and every square inch of the room was covered in posters and the room was filthy. Jeez.

Do you only have to send on bank details if you've changed them since last yr?

What amount of graffiti on desks do you let go before saying anything?

Disgraceful that room not ready but not even clean.... Enjoy the cuppa if you get one!!
    Think you right on bank details- only if they have changed.
    Put info re graffiti in report?

Yeah definitely mention the unclean rooom in your report. Take some dettol antibacterial wipes to clean at least your own desk tomorrow. And the posters not being down already was unfair.

Am I right in saying if I drove over 100km to my distribution centre today I can claim overnight allowance?

Depends how long you were away I think. Check with the SEC to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Are special centre intendents expected to wait outside the hall now for their papers,....I’ve always set aside a desk for them to wait at and dealt with them at the beginning of an exam session,....could see those with multi-candidate centres getting pretty impatient waiting out in the cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

The distribution centre was mad today. Boiling hot and queuing to get those miserable little trollies that are going to have someone's eye out when the strap breaks. Didn't have to endure the video and wasn't told to ring school either.

I don't know where you were but I was in Tallaghtfornia and between 2pm and 3pm it could have been organised better - was everybody asked to come between those hours? First, there was a long queue to get into the place, and then a much, much longer queue to check out the boxes. In between, people at boxes at tables were putting up their hands for assistance that was slow in coming.

And as for the trolleys that any 'person of height' has to walk lopsided to drag along with them - I wonder have they done a study and decided that the average superintendent is... a smurf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

gaiscioch wrote: »

And as for the trolleys that any 'person of height' has to walk lopsided to drag along with them - I wonder have they done a study and decided that the average superintendent is... a smurf?

This made me laugh. Hehe.

I am short, so it was fine for me, but the OH is tall and he found it ridiculous. And as for the extremely heavy boxes - they seem just about able to take their weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I'm a bit confused regarding stationery. Why is it that a standard answerbook is provided tomorrow for English I and Home EC, but only Home EC gets a treasury tag?

Also when are the coloured stickers with exam levels (A/G/B) used? Aren't the levels on all the papers? I'm two tired to remember what I read in relation to this.

I'm a bit confused regarding stationery. Why is it that a standard answerbook is provided tomorrow for English I and Home EC, but only Home EC gets a treasury tag?

Also when are the coloured stickers with exam levels (A/G/B) used? Aren't the levels on all the papers? I'm two tired to remember what I read in relation to this.

Read your day to day instructions. Follow them to the T. You're not going to be dismissed if you attach the answerbook to the exam paper with a treasury tag - I got 800 of them :)

• Advertisement

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I don't know where you were but I was in Tallaghtfornia and between 2pm and 3pm it could have been organised better - was everybody asked to come between those hours? First, there was a long queue to get into the place, and then a much, much longer queue to check out the boxes. In between, people at boxes at tables were putting up their hands for assistance that was slow in coming.

I wasn't in your centre but it is exactly what happened in mine! And I forgot to mention, when I asked for the trolley, I was told that I would get it when I'm going out which meant I had to drag the heavy box up a big hall and then get the trolley on the way out and me wrecked after dragging it :)

The staff were not very helpful with the trollies - I did it for three older ladies - one which said 'Hi you, will you do that for me?'
    Love your smurf comment!!

Read your day to day instructions. Follow them to the T. You're not going to be dismissed if you attach the answerbook to the exam paper with a treasury tag - I got 800 of them :)

Yeah it's in the day to day instructions where it says Home EC gets the tag but English doesn't. Was just wondering if there was a particular reason for that as this is all new to me! But given I've got so many tags too, I don't see why there can't be one for everybody in the audience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

Maybe home ec has short questions so exam paper has to be handed up. The exam paper does not have to be sent back with English just the answer book.

Tallaghtfornia! Love it :) arnt the SEC awfully good to give you such a glamorous location.

Heard from a friend there was a delay of a half an hour at her collection centre. Not a delay of waiting for others to finish but for the line to start being admitted. The officials did help carry the box over to the trolley area at the door though.

Home ec needs the paper clip to attach the short answer questions to the long questions. They also can have graph paper and supplementary answer sheets should they need it.

Yeah it's in the day to day instructions where it says Home EC gets the tag but English doesn't. Was just wondering if there was a particular reason for that as this is all new to me! But given I've got so many tags too, I don't see why there can't be one for everybody in the audience :)

I don't know why they need them at all. They are a curse for examiners, especially where someone has wound the tag in and out of the hole a few times making it almost impossible to get off.

Maybe home ec has short questions so exam paper has to be handed up. The exam paper does not have to be sent back with English just the answer book.

Bingo! That totally makes sense, thanks!

Home ec has Section A short questions in the exam paper that need to be returned;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marina24

English is all answered in the question book now. They shouldn’t need any extra paper.

I only got 20 seals for the stationery box. That means can only put one on each time- you can easily put your hand in through the other side. Is this correct or should I request more? There are going to be no extras from other centres that will close before mine.

On my friends box , she had one tag on each side of that makes sense.

• Advertisement

marina24 wrote: »
    English is all answered in the question book now. They shouldn’t need any extra paper.

I only got 20 seals for the stationery box. That means can only put one on each time- you can easily put your hand in through the other side. Is this correct or should I request more? There are going to be no extras from other centres that will close before mine.

Yeah I was thinking the same. I will probably put one on between exams as the door will be locked and two in the evening.

Advertisement