Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yeah I was thinking the same. I will probably put one on between exams as the door will be locked and two in the evening.

I don't even have enough for that! I'm going to call them tomorrow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Not to mention you'll need a tag for the empty exam paper box at the end too.

marina24 wrote: »
    English is all answered in the question book now. They shouldn’t need any extra paper.

At JC yes, not at LC, which is what the others were taking about I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Does anyone know, when it comes to papers where they answer on the question paper so no answer booklet (like Maths), can students get separate paper to use for rough work? I'm not superintending, just curious and have students wondering about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Does anyone know, when it comes to papers where they answer on the question paper so no answer booklet (like Maths), can students get separate paper to use for rough work? I'm not superintending, just curious and have students wondering about this.

The can get separate paper whenever they want. MAke sure they write their number on it. nothing worse than finding a loose page between a pile of exams with no number on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

English is all answered in the question book now. They shouldn’t need any extra paper.

I only got 20 seals for the stationery box. That means can only put one on each time- you can easily put your hand in through the other side. Is this correct or should I request more? There are going to be no extras from other centres that will close before mine.

I read back through the general guidelines earlier and it says to use 'a seal' to close the box. I've taken from that to use only one seal at a time, especially seeing as it seems the amount of seals other superintendents have been issued with is similarly low. Although being able to get your hand in had me concerned!

Glad to have made it through the first day. It seems like there's so much to take in at first, but everything seems much more straightforward once you're actually in there. I'm glad I only got the week now, as was already wishing I could bring a book in by this afternoon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

How receptive are the SEC to using tolls to reduce the length of journey times?

I'm travelling from Ratoath area to Blackrock, and the m50 was unbearable today. Using the East Link and the tunnel would greatly help the journey...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

chases0102 wrote: »
    How receptive are the SEC to using tolls to reduce the length of journey times?

I'm travelling from Ratoath area to Blackrock, and the m50 was unbearable today. Using the East Link and the tunnel would greatly help the journey...

They calculate it as the shortest possible journey. I'm not sure about tolls but if you're going the long way around, you'll only get paid for the shortest - hope that makes sense. Email them and ask them.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I have 'only' 7 days too, but trust me, that's long enough! :)
    I'm glad I only got the week now, as was already wishing I could bring a book in by this afternoon :D

Told ya so! :p
    I read back through the general guidelines earlier and it says to use 'a seal' to close the box. I've taken from that to use only one seal at a time, especially seeing as it seems the amount of seals other superintendents have been issued with is similarly low. Although being able to get your hand in had me concerned!

I phoned them today and told them I wanted more. I put one seal on it today and then tried to get in at it and I could reach my whole arm into the box and easily move answer booklets around to get in at the stationery underneath. To be perfectly honest, if you're going to put one seal on, you may as well not put any on. I ordered 20 more off them. They said they'd send them out no problem, which I should think they would. After all, if they want the job done right....

Anyone LC? Tomorrow is always the killer day for me. That and the day biology is on.

Told ya so! :p

I phoned them today and told them I wanted more. I put one seal on it today and then tried to get in at it and I could reach my whole arm into the box and easily move answer booklets around to get in at the stationery underneath. To be perfectly honest, if you're going to put one seal on, you may as well not put any on. I ordered 20 more off them. They said they'd send them out no problem, which I should think they would. After all, if they want the job done right....

Anyone LC? Tomorrow is always the killer day for me. That and the day biology is on.

Well it is just stationary so they really can't do much with that. My centre is locked when I'm not there and if the worst did happen and it was vandalised, I'm sure there is CCTV to see who went into the room.

When I did LC, History used to be the killer for me - it was always my last day and 1/2 students and the HL was 3hours.

• Advertisement

Well it is just stationary so they really can't do much with that. My centre is locked when I'm not there and if the worst did happen and it was vandalised, I'm sure there is CCTV to see who went into the room.

When I did LC, History used to be the killer for me - it was always my last day and 1/2 students and the HL was 3hours.

I know it's just stationery, but the stamp is in there too. And, even if they just took it all out and dumped it, it's still a hassle I don't need.

I agree though that most (probably all) kids wouldn't be ar$ed, but still.

I know it's just stationery, but the stamp is in there too. And, even if they just took it all out and dumped it, it's still a hassle I don't need.

I agree though that most (probably all) kids wouldn't be ar$ed, but still.

I should have said, I bring the stamp and ink pads with me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The stamp is important. Without going into details, (and to avoid giving people ideas), it could be quite useful.

spurious wrote: »
    The stamp is important. Without going into details, (and to avoid giving people ideas), it could be quite useful.

Yeah and that's the reason I bring it. Stationary isn't as important as before though as most exams are answered on exam papers.

Well Bananaleaf, seeing as you were right about the session length, think I'll follow your advice and get more seals.

It's my first year and I got both LC and two Special Centres. My buddy Superintendent is new too so it's really a sink or swim situation! I am really dreading the French/History session due to the length. My poor pregnancy bladder could barely cope with English today, so going to have to ask the exam secretary to step in between the French written and aural exams on the break portion or I'll never make it through.

Well Bananaleaf, seeing as you were right about the session length, think I'll follow your advice and get more seals.

It's my first year and I got both LC and two Special Centres. My buddy Superintendent is new too so it's really a sink or swim situation! I am really dreading the French/History session due to the length. My poor pregnancy bladder could barely cope with English today, so going to have to ask the exam secretary to step in between the French written and aural exams on the break portion or I'll never make it through.

Oh definitely ask since you are pregnant. I find it hard enough timing it all myself. Hehe I feel like I'm preparing for a marathon each evening during this time of the year - getting all my hydration done the evening before so I don't have to drink during the day, then going through almost a litre of water in the final 20 mins of the first session so that I can time the toilet breaks and go back into the afternoon session with an empty bladder. In fairness, little else to be doing so I don't mind :)

Oh these earlier-than-usual mornings are killing me already and it's only day 2! :) what a moan I am :P

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

I thought today was killer for LC. 17:20!

Just wondering does anyone know what the story is with the white envelopes for LC Construction Studies? In the day to day instructions it says each student is meant to get one - yet there were no envelopes included in my stationery box.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

I actually don’t think i have any white envelopes either. Will have to check tomorrow. Will have to ring if don’t have any and apologize for not checking my stationary box properly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marina24

I thought today was killer for LC. 17:20!

Just wondering does anyone know what the story is with the white envelopes for LC Construction Studies? In the day to day instructions it says each student is meant to get one - yet there were no envelopes included in my stationery box.

I think it’s the large white plastic envelopes. You put them in a blue one then for posting. Must look at that tomorrow- will give me something to do for few mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Only home now from LC as I had a student who was allowed extra time.

I have found a route to the exam centre which is quicker than the shortest route and more reliable as it avoids bottlenecks etc but it makes the journey about 3km longer. Will they pay me mileage for the longer route or at I making trouble for myself by not taking the shortest route?

To be honest I have been considering dropping out as driving to/from the centre is so stressful in traffic especially as I have to add on extra time for the student in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

The extra time is killer. I didn’t leave until 6 today. I know already I won’t be doing it next year

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

I think it’s the large white plastic envelopes. You put them in a blue one then for posting. Must look at that tomorrow- will give me something to do for few mins!

Thanks! I wasn’t given any of those envelopes just a very large purple one. I’ve been given the white A3 sheets of paper alright - just no envelopes. I shall ring them - along with some seals for the box 🙂 Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Surprisingly they switched schools for me after 2 years in last school. I miss the old school already :( I was in a big hall with 3 other superintendents and it was lovely and cool. This year, I'm on my own in a cramped classroom with only one window. The heat is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

I’ve been subbing for years but this this my first time superintending.. Won’t be hurrying back! Not worth the stress and hassle after tax and childcare. Only 3 more days to go anyway but roll on Tuesday.

Wrecked after today. Dinner and shower then bed for me. LC. Personally, I find the regular school day Sep to May far more hectic and stressful than exams. Discipline issue? Send em out. On the phone? SEC deals with it. Finished at 5? Leave at 5.
    What we are doing is boring as hell, but if you follow the instructions, it's very easy. I moan about the boredom I know, but this is the easiest money I make all year.

I don't have kids though, so I understand where those who have are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

today was the longest day ever. I'm struggling to understand mileage. my school to exam centre is 126 km and from my home to exam centre is 26 do you double that because you have to drive home.
    also stored in garda station which is 4kn from exam centre.

also what dates do we usually get paid for it.
    someone told me end of august

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Feeling for ye :-)
    Dropped out as LC wasn't compatible with childcare & evening schedule and boy am I glad. Was able to get into school yesterday to see them off into the exam hall before their exam and spent today gardening. Having a glass now to enjoy the cleaned up garden knowing I don't have that rush in the morning - ok so I'm still doing the school run but it's a doddle in comparison.
    Roxychix mileage is counted home/school to centre and back again so yes count the return leg. Also include mileage to/from garda station. 're pay depends how quick you are to get it in - I always have it ready for the last day and post immediately after returning stationery box. Then it depends how far in the queue you are. They've certainly improved o time. You can always ring at the end of the summer. It's not much mind as advance is taken out so very easy to miss when it goes into a bank account you're using regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

roxychix wrote: »
    today was the longest day ever. I'm struggling to understand mileage. my school to exam centre is 126 km and from my home to exam centre is 26 do you double that because you have to drive home.
    also stored in garda station which is 4kn from exam centre.

also what dates do we usually get paid for it.
    someone told me end of august

roxy you claim from home to garda station to school to post office (if applicable) to school to garda station to school to post office to home!!!

You will get paid 30 working days after sending it in!

Has anyone found google maps a bit strange?
    It is saying less km than what my car clocked?? Very weird!!! There is maybe 8km in the difference so 16km a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Millem I would just photo it on my phone as proof and if it's queried email it in. Keep am eye on mileage claimed and paid

• Advertisement

I'm including my mileage to the post office as part of my trip from home to school each day, so it only takes up one line. Is that ok? I'd run out of space if I was counting each post office trip separately.

Advertisement