Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Had a student crying sobbing in my centre during the week. She wasn't, as far as I could see, disturbing the other students but the poor girl was very upset. I went over to her and asked her what was wrong and she said she couldn't write anymore (this was about 40 minutes into the exam). I said she could leave if she wanted to but I wonder could I have allowed her to go outside for 5 minutes break (accompanied by the assistant or somebody) and could she get that 5 minutes at the end?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Had a student crying sobbing in my centre during the week. She wasn't, as far as I could see, disturbing the other students but the poor girl was very upset. I went over to her and asked her what was wrong and she said she couldn't write anymore (this was about 40 minutes into the exam). I said she could leave if she wanted to but I wonder could I have allowed her to go outside for 5 minutes break (accompanied by the assistant or somebody) and could she get that 5 minutes at the end?

She could have gone out to the toilet/to compose herself, but you wouldn't be allowed give her extra time at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

spurious wrote: »
    She could have gone out to the toilet/to compose herself, but you wouldn't be allowed give her extra time at the end.

I read in the instructions that you basically can, if it's arranged by the school. Extra time can be awarded to students that can be made up at the end and it can be done at the school's discretion, with no need to inform the SEC. I know that sounds mad, but it's in the general instructions booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

That extra time awarded by the school is more for those that need physical breaks for e.g. diabetes or a sensory break. You can't be giving every student who finds it tough to "take 5 and add it on at the end" - I've had suggested a toilet break as spurious said which is NOT made up at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's in the RACE booklet that the school can grant up to 20 minutes rest breaks to a student that can be compensated for at the end of the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I read in the instructions that you basically can, if it's arranged by the school. Extra time can be awarded to students that can be made up at the end and it can be done at the school's discretion, with no need to inform the SEC. I know that sounds mad, but it's in the general instructions booklet.

That's untrue. If a student is in delayed inordinately such a bus delay or there is an emergency such as a fire drill etc you can work with the school to allocate extra time but under no circumstances can you add on time at your own discretion. At all times you should consult with the SEC. The situation outlined above is not allowed extra time.

The 20 minutes rest breaks can be granted without recourse to the SEC and can be compensated for. See the RACE booklet. I think a sobbing student would merit such a break and that the school's exam secretary would authorise it.

It's in the RACE booklet that the school can grant up to 20 minutes rest breaks to a student that can be compensated for at the end of the exam.

Just to confirm in case people don't know , RACE is for those with confirmed by letter from the SEC that the student with reasonable accommodations gets extra time. No students in an ordinary centre and not all students with RA get this extra time.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Just to confirm in case people don't know , RACE is for those with confirmed by letter from the SEC that the student with reasonable accommodations gets extra time. No students in an ordinary centre and not all students with RA get this extra time.

This section of the booklet refers to granting RA in an emergency or short notice situation. Not those already granted in advance.

That extra time awarded by the school is more for those that need physical breaks for e.g. diabetes or a sensory break. You can't be giving every student who finds it tough to "take 5 and add it on at the end" - I've had suggested a toilet break as spurious said which is NOT made up at the end

Yeah, I totally agree with you, but I was just pointing out that according to the booklet extra time can be granted. It states specifically that the time is for rest only and can't be used to write, but it can be taken if the school (not the superintendent) deems it necessary and they don't have to inform the SEC.
    Postgrad10 wrote: »
    That's untrue. If a student is in delayed inordinately such a bus delay or there is an emergency such as a fire drill etc you can work with the school to allocate extra time but under no circumstances can you add on time at your own discretion. At all times you should consult with the SEC. The situation outlined above is not allowed extra time.

I'm open to correction and I don't have the booklet with me as I left it in my stationery box on Friday. But, I will double check the booklet on Monday and I will come back and clarify exactly what it says, but I am aware of the reasonable accommodations allowances and those for extraordinary and emergency circumstances, but this was an additional paragraph, separate to those situations.

It stood out to me because I remember reading it thinking, 'wow, that could be abused'

• Advertisement

I'm open to correction and I don't have the booklet with me as I left it in my stationery box on Friday. But, I will double check the booklet on Monday and I will come back and clarify exactly what it says, but I am aware of the reasonable accommodations allowances and those for extraordinary and emergency circumstances, but this was an additional paragraph, separate to those situations.

It stood out to me because I remember reading it thinking, 'wow, that could be abused'

The only time I've potentially used it was for a student who had suffered sunstroke the day before after falling asleep studying in the Sun. She'd spent the night in a&e on a drip to get rehydrated. Even at that it was the school exam.sectetary who made the call (and if I remember had ran it by the sec too)
    In the end the student just ploughed through without a break but I always remember being extra nervous and keeping such a close eye on her

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Any idea when the advance is due,I finished today and had to pay the attendant from my own pocket,,...,,,grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

I got my advance today

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

That's odd. I got mine today as did everyone else I met.

Does anyone know how the advance amounts are determined? I got 400 but everyone else in the school got 500? Is it because I finished today so will be getting less than them when we're paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Does anyone know how the advance amounts are determined? I got 400 but everyone else in the school got 500? Is it because I finished today so will be getting less than them when we're paid?
    Oh oh,....I hoping it’s just a delay with my bank/cu account.....kept details the same as last year,......hope it goes through

Yeah, I totally agree with you, but I was just pointing out that according to the booklet extra time can be granted. It states specifically that the time is for rest only and can't be used to write, but it can be taken if the school (not the superintendent) deems it necessary and they don't have to inform the SEC.

So I re-read the General Instructions for clarification. (I know how pathetic that sounds :pac: )

It's basically as you say @happywithlife.
    • Extra time may be awarded to someone in a main centre
    • It does not have to be okayed by the SEC (but they do need to know, see below)
    • It's at the school's descretion
    But:
    • It should only be used in cases of medical or physical need by the student
    • And the school must furnish the superintendent with a letter, which is attached to the advice list.

So - it wouldn't be as easy to abuse that as I thought it would after all.

Hmm, I don't know. Are you in a LCA centre by any chance? Maybe they get a smaller advance as there would be less to pay the attendant.

I finished today too (bliss!) but got paid 500 advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got €500 advance! Finish Thursday would love to be finished today.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I also got 500, even though I sent my details in late. Only problem is I went to an AIB bank machine to take out 300 so I could pay the attendant, but that transaction failed so I took out 200 then 100. But AIB have charged all the transactions to my account and it will be another couple of days before it's corrected. So basically my pay is currently -100. I'm very lucky I had the money in there to cover it, but very annoyed at the bank now!

Last day tomorrow :):)
    Can’t wait....miss my own kids too much. Really looking forward to spending the summer holidays with them.

Is it 30 days or 30 working days when we get paid? Need to sort out USC ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Hmm, I don't know. Are you in a LCA centre by any chance? Maybe they get a smaller advance as there would be less to pay the attendant.

I finished today too (bliss!) but got paid 500 advance

No, LC. And I don't think it's a mistake on their part as I received my slip in the post today and it says 400. I don't understand.

No, LC. And I don't think it's a mistake on their part as I received my slip in the post today and it says 400. I don't understand.

Are you new? Think they pay a lower rate to new supers- it might explain it

Millem wrote: »
    Need to sort out USC ;)

how is this done? I need to do it too

how is this done? I need to do it too

Do you earn under €70k if so you need to sort it or else you will be charged 8% instead of 4.75%!! You need to ring revenue.

You work out your gross first (not including mileage and subsistence) let’s pretend it’s €1000...then work out what week they will pay you.....I think it could be week 28. Divide your gross by 28 and multiply by 52.....you get a higher figure (€1857)....that’s what you need to allocate for usc for 4.75%! Make sure it’s down as cumulative.

After I get paid I then have to transfer the excess so the difference between the higher figure and my actual gross (€857) to another employment!

Revenue will explain it alot better than me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Finished yesterday but didn't make post office or mail depot as one student had special accommodations that made me too late. Had to leave everything in school and go back for it today. But everything done and paperwork in the post, so happy days! I'll apply again next year but hopefully will get JC, the exam lengths for LC are such a killer.

All finished, posted......done and dusted!!!! Didn’t bother with claiming for tolls just put it in post to get it gone!

Roll on pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

This paying the attendant is ridiculous. I need to pay mine 300 and the ATM has given it to me in 20s. Gahhhhh.

This paying the attendant is ridiculous. I need to pay mine 300 and the ATM has given it to me in 20s. Gahhhhh.

I used to feel a bit hard done by after paying my attendent and not being left with much! I know we get it back later but tough when it's your only source of income . My local ATM gave me it in ten euro notes last year . I felt rich !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

He'll think he's loaded with that big wad of notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

He'll think he's loaded with that big wad of notes.

Flash money :D

Advertisement