Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

ibdjrp.jpg

hehe. Visions of all the Smurf superintendents trying to pull a fast one on the SEC with those trolleys have now gone up in smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

That's odd. I got mine today as did everyone else I met.

Does anyone know how the advance amounts are determined? I got 400 but everyone else in the school got 500? Is it because I finished today so will be getting less than them when we're paid?

I also got €400, and also finished on the 12th and I did superintendent work in the same school last year so it's not because it's my first time. I surmised it was because people getting €500 were working after the 12th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

gaiscioch wrote: »
    ibdjrp.jpg

hehe. Visions of all the Smurf superintendents trying to pull a fast one on the SEC with those trolleys have now gone up in smoke.

I hear you had to be a engineer to operate it. Knock it over on its side in order to get the wheels to move. I wonder how many bothered to use it in their last day. It couldn't be used for the stationary box because it had be put back in to the stationary box in the first place. Unless you started tagging it in the post office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Does the attendant get paid for the halfhour (s)he does before the exam starts or just for the running time of the exam?

Just for the time of exam. If you find they helped you in some way, I always give them a little extra anyway. I know the guy last year I had was never that early and had a face on him when I asked to put bluetak on the posters and take them down at the end. All he wanted to do was watch his laptop, despite numerous attempts to tell him he wasn't allowed to. I wasn't as inclined to give him any extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks postgrad10

Are you finished up tomorrow ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I hear you had to be a engineer to operate it. Knock it over on its side in order to get the wheels to move. I wonder how many bothered to use it in their last day. It couldn't be used for the stationary box because it had be put back in to the stationary box in the first place. Unless you started tagging it in the post office.

I tagged in post office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gaiscioch wrote: »
    ibdjrp.jpg

I was really upset giving mine back :) It's worth more than €50 surely - look how smoothly it transported our heavy boxes :)

As above :)

The laughable thing was at the distribution centre when I was finished sorting and checking, I asked one of the friendly SEC staff could I get a trolley and was told 'you can only get them while you leave'. Right says I, as I kicked/dragged the box the length of Croke Park :)

• Advertisement

Does the attendant get paid for the halfhour (s)he does before the exam starts or just for the running time of the exam?

As far as I know, there is a 10min amount paid before (and after, not sure) so the attendant is paid the session including these 10 mins.

As above :)

The laughable thing was at the distribution centre when I was finished sorting ANC checking, I asked one of the friendly SEC staff could I get a trolley and was told 'you can only get them while you leave'. Right says I, as I kicked/dragged the box the length of Croke Park :)

Yeah it's like they weren't even trialled by anyone who would even know when they'd need to be used. A few of my placements PO's have been near supermarkets so I have always "borrowed" a trolley and left it back after. Anyone have difficulty getting help from the school to lift the stationary box to the car? According to a friend one school wouldn't assist them at all.

Yeah it's like they weren't even trialled by anyone who would even know when they'd need to be used. A few of my placements PO's have been near supermarkets so I have always "borrowed" a trolley and left it back after. Anyone have difficulty getting help from the school to lift the stationary box to the car? According to a friend one school wouldn't assist them at all.

I never had a problem with anyone helping me with boxes. This year I let the attendant go as I had my trolley which was another amusing opportunity for anyone watching. It was pelting it down and the thing decided to go around in circles - I just carried box to car.

I hope everyone wrote about their experiences with the hand truck in their final report!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I wasn't sure about that so I rang the SEC and they told me if my attendant was attending the exam with me the half hour beforehand then to pay them for it. I mentioned it to more experienced superintendents in the school and they said they never paid them. Rang the SEC again to double check and another member of staff said to pay her for it, so I did. In fairness to her she was always there ahead of time and very good.

It says in the book that attendants are to be paid for 'each session', but it seems that session can include the extra half hour. There should be clarity about this though, as despite me saying what the SEC said to my partner superintendent who had the same timetable, she paid her one less. Hope they don't compare their pay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I wasn't sure about that so I rang the SEC and they told me if my attendant was attending the exam with me the half hour beforehand then to pay them for it. I mentioned it to more experienced superintendents in the school and they said they never paid them. Rang the SEC again to double check and another member of staff said to pay her for it, so I did. In fairness to her she was always there ahead of time and very good.

It says in the book that attendants are to be paid for 'each session', but it seems that session can include the extra half hour. There should be clarity about this though, as despite me saying what the SEC said to my partner superintendent who had the same timetable, she paid her one less. Hope they don't compare their pay!

The handbook used to say 10 mins before each exam was INCLUDED in their rate per session
    It's only the superintendent needs to be present half an hour before each exam not the attendant. Did you get your attendant to present for half an hr before each exam?
    Didn't superintendent this year so could have changed but I wouldn't think so

The handbook used to say 10 mins before each exam was INCLUDED in their rate per session
    It's only the superintendent needs to be present half an hour before each exam not the attendant. Did you get your attendant to present for half an hr before each exam?

Yeah that's what I thought. I told my attendant to be there 10 mins before each exam and let him go when the students left.

I wonder how much did the SEC say to pay the attendant?

I looked and I honestly don't remember seeing that, but I could be wrong. Even if it did say that, it seems odd that SEC staff are saying something else, surely we should all be singing off the same hymn sheet? That's why I found it confusing.

I didn't ask my attendant to be there that early, I assume the school did. But given I'm clearly heavily pregnant maybe they told her to be on hand in case I needed help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I looked and I honestly don't remember seeing that, but I could be wrong. Even if it did say that, it seems odd that SEC staff are saying something else, surely we should all be singing off the same hymn sheet? That's why I found it confusing.

I didn't ask my attendant to be there that early, I assume the school did. But given I'm clearly heavily pregnant maybe they told her to be on hand in case I needed help?

furbaby I always just pay them for session... have done every year.
    One year I had LC I remember an exam was a bit shorter than option on form so we rounded up.

I always take a pic of form of account before sending it in for my own records.
    Couldn’t figure out how this year I had more mileage (same school same duration)....clearly pregnancy brain got the better of me!!!

I noticed the same by two km. Maybe google maps is being generous?

Same millem. I can't remember which exam but there's a leaving cert subject which has longer length that isn't catered for on the attendents time sheet. The SEC told me to round it up to the next figure on the sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

If I remember rightly it's on the page with the payment figures per session - as a paragraph on the top/bottom of the page. Where ever it says about the rate for the Tuesday set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

How soon can we expect payment? Early or late July?

30 working days from receipt of invoice usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

Hi does anyone no when you get paid for supervising lcvp exams or the art exams in a school thanks

roxychix wrote: »
    Hi does anyone no when you get paid for supervising lcvp exams or the art exams in a school thanks

That's paid by the school/ETB.

The ETB's usually leave it until September's paydate whereas the Department paid schools will pay straightway or the next paydate ( every two weeks).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Does anyone know what happens with paid standby superintendents. We were just told that we would be paid for 6 days regardless, but no information on how to get paid was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

Etb maybe that's why delay. no worries thanks anyway. thought I could get a nice handy few quid to enjoy over hols

Give finance a call and they'll tell you for certain. Very hard to plan otherwise :)

Can someone explain why being employed by the SEC actually makes you self-employed for tax purposes? I'm very surprised by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Can someone explain why being employed by the SEC actually makes you self-employed for tax purposes? I'm very surprised by this.

Good question. And if so why only pay mileage rates from our school?

Advertisement