Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rail services with full dining carriage ?

• 30-11-2017 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

Recently took a trip up to Belfast and thoroughly enjoyed the journey. Very modern and comfortable train made all the better by standing at the large windows in the restaurant car with beer in hand watching the world go by.

Are there any other routes in Ireland of a similar standard or are most simply a trolley with a few sambos and drinks ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

some of the dublin-cork services have a dining car i think.
    for all other services bar that and belfast, it's a an over-priced trolly, and that's if you are lucky.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Most peak Cork services and daily direct Tralee Mon-Fri. You will see a knife/fork incon in the planner. Don't expect the same quality on IE services.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Only Cork and Belfast.

There are IE "Premier" carriages (which IE seems to have bought with no actual idea or strategy regarding how to actually use them , then just shrugged and stuck them on regular routes as normal carriages) that have a first class section and a bit between FC and standard with a shop but it does not have a dining area and because it's on regular hum drum routes (but, bizarrely, NEVER EVER on the 3 hour Sligo route which is the one bloody route that could use an on board shop - they are just such painfully stupid morons with no business sense whatsoever) the shop, even if you get one of these carriages, is closed 90% of the time.

The Enterprise is probably the best quality service on the island by far, especially since it's recent upgrade. Getting your expresso or beer and watching the countryside race by is a nice experience. IE will make damn sure you don't experience such pleasures on any other routes - God forbid, it might encourage you to pay that tiny bit extra and increase rail use, we could not have that now - it would interfere with CIE's primary task which is to hemorrhage money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Back in the day - the 1980s - when things were really bad stock-wise, I remember that a full kitchen car (not a dining car) sometimes appeared on the Sligo train. It served nothing and was used by the unfortunate Board's servant to store his miserable stock. I kid you not, there was no trolley and he had to carry his sandwiches through the train on a wooden tray. And you tell young people today!

I see poor old Judgement Day even posted about it here seven years ago: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64606858&postcount=36

Whatever became of him? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

word has it he is in a Home for Bewildered Gentlefolk.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Back in the day - the 1980s - when things were really bad stock-wise, I remember that a full kitchen car (not a dining car) sometimes appeared on the Sligo train. It served nothing and was used by the unfortunate Board's servant to store his miserable stock. I kid you not, there was no trolley and he had to carry his sandwiches through the train on a wooden tray. And you tell young people today!

I see poor old Judgement Day even posted about it here seven years ago: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64606858&postcount=36

Did any of the Mark III's have a dining carriage?
    Was first class EVER operated outside the Belfast-Cork route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I'm sure I saw chips on the Sligo train in the 90s. The dining car was definitely there at the time.

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Yes, the 7400-series coaches. They had signs in the windows to state that the seating was for dining passengers only. I also remember a Telecom Eireann payphone in them.

I once took a Dublin to Tralee run in the Executive coach 7162, now that was nice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Payphones had the "lovely" original Eircell italic logo on them. I can't remember if they removed them quickly when the analogue network closed down; certainly hope they had their coin slots stopped up at least!

Rarely got MkIIIs out my way though so there was often a good few months between sightings.

When the MkIIIs were introduced they had MacDonald's style colourful plastic seating - ghastly - soon replaced by standard MkIII seating.

The 2400 series Laminate Dining cars in service from 1955-84 were the best from a passenger's point of view. Plenty of seating - synthetic individual leather seating and a great bar counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Reincarnated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Last seen running out of a bog in Leitrim chased by an angry bin lurry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Mk III trains generally had a dining car, but the availability of dining service was less certain, often just snack service on quieter trains. This was not the case in Mk III push-pull sets, which were intended for outer suburban services. One of the pushpulls was retro fitted with a snackbar for the Waterford route.

In earlier times, vitrually all mainline trains apart from summer extras, had a buffet car. The exception was the down morning / up afternoon Rosslare train. This was known as the starvation train.

Traditionally all mainline trains had first class accomodation, but mostly not a full coach. Composite coaches had a first class end, and a standard portion, so typically just 24 first class seats. The AEC railcars introduced in 1952 had twelve first class seats at each end of the train, with a view ahead through the drivers cab. In later years these ran suburban trains without first class so standard class passengers could travel in comfort, if they realised they were allowed to use thes seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

The best set up I have seen in this country is a private train run by the railway preservation society of Ireland. It's a train built in 1964. It has a full bar and at least one snack bar. They organise excursions. Well worth experiencing

The best set up I have seen in this country is a private train run by the railway preservation society of Ireland. It's a train built in 1964. It has a full bar and at least one snack bar. They organise excursions. Well worth experiencing

I don't think Belmond Grand Hibernian would agree ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I remember when you’d always get a rather good breakfast in the dining car, though never sampled any more gourmet fare than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I don't think Belmond Grand Hibernian would agree ;)

Well that's the best I've gotten to experience in my time but you're probably right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I remember when you’d always get a rather good breakfast in the dining car, though never sampled any more gourmet fare than that.

When the Mk IIs were introduced in the early 1970s, as well as sitting in a dining car, you could get your hot meal brought to your seat by the waiter throughout the train. Didnot last very long, but the aroma of a steak dinner was very tempting, so more people ordered it.

Any time I took a day trip by rail, I used to get either a breakfast in the morning or a dinner in the evening, rarely both.
    The food was good quality and cooked naturally. Today we get cook chill products full of additives and gruesome sauces, partially because public taste has become more cosmopolitan, but also for the sake of perceived economy.

On British Rail, meals were served at specific sittings, rather than a walk up service as in Ireland. BR meals on long distance trains had a touch of class, the waiters in liveried uniforms served each passenger in the dining car, according to the passenger's wishes - Gravy, Sir, - more roast potatoes , or carrots etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jem72

Sligo used to do breakfasts and steak and chips up until sometime in the early 90's. There never seemed to be much call for it. I can remember using first class around 1994 but it was gone by the time I started using the train regularly again around 2001.

First class on Mk IIs was quite nice. Three across seating and carpet which weren't in standard a the time. It was a far quieter experience that standard due to the carpet and the fact that hardly anybody used it. Used to cost £3 surcharge if the ticket collector got as far as you by the time you were getting off - pretty good value really especially since you rarely had to pay both ways going down on a Friday and back up on Sunday evening. It's pretty easy to see why they gave up on it.

I'd agree that it is quite poor that there is nothing better than trolley service on Sligo any more. I guess that is one of the perils of railcars costing 2 million euro a time - you've got to pack them full of seats rather than having a dining car taking up a railcar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Dublin to Cork with full dining car service is getting less and less. With the winter schedule several trains that previous had a dining car service are no longer having the service.

In addition on several recent journeys even those which had a dining car according to the schedule did not either because there was no water in the kitchen or there was not enough staff available or some other reason.

In addition the previous city gold benefit of a free coffee/tea/orange juice/water is now mostly to a coffee/tea from the trolley rather than the nice fresh coffee French press variant that was done in the past.

• Advertisement

Dublin to Cork with full dining car service is getting less and less. With the winter schedule several trains that previous had a dining car service are no longer having the service.

In addition on several recent journeys even those which had a dining car according to the schedule did not either because there was no water in the kitchen or there was not enough staff available or some other reason.

In addition the previous city gold benefit of a free coffee/tea/orange juice/water is now mostly to a coffee/tea from the trolley rather than the nice fresh coffee French press variant that was done in the past.

I don't want to privatize it, but I would consider the Luas model putting out for day to day management - and this is the kinda thing why, IE have no concept of customer service, none at all, this they think will save them money but when 1st class becomes just not worth it they'll lose money. 1st class is all about the LITTLE details, the small creature comforts to take the edge off the fact that you're traveling, to make it more like a Hotel or country club / spa experience, killing off the frills will only make people less likley to pick it.

I don't want to privatize it, but I would consider the Luas model putting out for day to day management - and this is the kinda thing why, IE have no concept of customer service, none at all, this they think will save them money but when 1st class becomes just not worth it they'll lose money. 1st class is all about the LITTLE details, the small creature comforts to take the edge off the fact that you're traveling, to make it more like a Hotel or country club / spa experience, killing off the frills will only make people less likley to pick it.

while i agree about first class and other options that make rail travel a more premium option, the luas model isn't going to make a difference to those issues, or any of the other issues on the railway. over in the uk, first class, like a lot of other issues, are very hit and miss dispite private rail companies running the trains.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Only service with full restaurant service:
    Ex Dublin 07.00, 17.00, 18.00
    Ex Cork 07.00

Ex Dublin 17.05
    Ex Tralee 07.05

This has not changed since mid 2015, the only service it was removed from was the 18.20 ex Cork in early 2016 ish.

I can tell you from experience that the 1620 from Cork has a full restaurant service (big menu) several weeks this year (maybe not according to the schedule but in real life). It depends on the crew, if the right crew is there they have the big menu and do an excellent service. If there is a replacement crew the service is spotty, sometimes not even the small menu but just trolley.

In effect it seams to depend on what the company actually running the service is putting as staff on the train. Sometimes it's the full menu, sometimes it the small menu, sometimes it a trolley only. And than there are those days where the train has no water or no hot water or some other problem that makes it a trolley only service.

I always look for the crew, if it's the regulars than I know I get a good service, if I see enterprise people (like last Friday) it can be anything and if its people I never saw before it's usually bad.

while i agree about first class and other options that make rail travel a more premium option, the luas model isn't going to make a difference to those issues, or any of the other issues on the railway. over in the uk, first class, like a lot of other issues, are very hit and miss dispite private rail companies running the trains.

If the country was facing actual bankruptcy (not the "were broke" sh1te in 2008 where we were not ACTUALLY broke, we just had a budget deficit that was far too high and needed to come down) I would not privatize CIE, much as I'd love to do it just to get a bottle of booze and a bowl of popcorn and watch SIPTUs reaction when they were told about it.

But I do think it would help if day to day management was competed for. I have personal experience of FC on Virgin and while I was not a fan of the carriages (I found the model they use far too confining and narrow compared to say the Enterprise or MIVs) the food was excellent quality. I know it's not inevitable that this be so, and it would WANT to be quality considering the frankly disgusting ticket price, it was much nicer and more varied.
    Only service with full restaurant service:
    Ex Dublin 07.00, 17.00, 18.00
    Ex Cork 07.00

Ex Dublin 17.05
    Ex Tralee 07.05

This has not changed since mid 2015, the only service it was removed from was the 18.20 ex Cork in early 2016 ish.

Hold on - are those other services ICRs? or are you saying you can pay for FC on the Cork route and get nothing for it except for nicer furniture and less riff raff?
    Or is this just that the standard class passengers don't have the option to go to the restaurant car and sit down there for a meal?

If the country was facing actual bankruptcy (not the "were broke" sh1te in 2008 where we were not ACTUALLY broke, we just had a budget deficit that was far too high and needed to come down) I would not privatize CIE, much as I'd love to do it just to get a bottle of booze and a bowl of popcorn and watch SIPTUs reaction when they were told about it.

But I do think it would help if day to day management was competed for. I have personal experience of FC on Virgin and while I was not a fan of the carriages (I found the model they use far too confining and narrow compared to say the Enterprise or MIVs) the food was excellent quality. I know it's not inevitable that this be so, and it would WANT to be quality considering the frankly disgusting ticket price, it was much nicer and more varied.

Hold on - are those other services ICRs? or are you saying you can pay for FC on the Cork route and get nothing for it except for nicer furniture and less riff raff?
    Or is this just that the standard class passengers don't have the option to go to the restaurant car and sit down there for a meal?

Those are the ones where it's guaranteed, paying for first class with IE dons't mean you can pay for a meal. The majority are Mark IV.
    I can tell you from experience that the 1620 from Cork has a full restaurant service (big menu) several weeks this year (maybe not according to the schedule but in real life). It depends on the crew, if the right crew is there they have the big menu and do an excellent service. If there is a replacement crew the service is spotty, sometimes not even the small menu but just trolley.

In effect it seams to depend on what the company actually running the service is putting as staff on the train. Sometimes it's the full menu, sometimes it the small menu, sometimes it a trolley only. And than there are those days where the train has no water or no hot water or some other problem that makes it a trolley only service.

I always look for the crew, if it's the regulars than I know I get a good service, if I see enterprise people (like last Friday) it can be anything and if its people I never saw before it's usually bad.

It's more so guaranteed on the services I quoted and hit and miss on others.

the problem is, for the past 13/14 years we have had people from the privatized uk railway manage our railway and they have driven our railway into effectively an over-priced bus. i can't see any of the usual suspects who bid for rail contracts undoing that if the train operation was put out to tender. at least not off their own back.

the first class on the few ICRS that have it (it's actually called premier class) is effectively a slightly better standard class yes . a huge waste of money. an insult in fact.

Now that the same catering company on the Belfast service has taking over I am not sure if the offering has changed/improved in dinning car.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/first_class_menu_21_09_17_final.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

To say nothing of Propellerhead, Crusty Burke, Dermo88, Corktina and DWCommuter. Bit of a mystery where they all went.. :D

• Advertisement

Now that the same catering company on the Belfast service has taking over I am not sure if the offering has changed/improved in dinning car.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/first_class_menu_21_09_17_final.pdf

That menu is only available on the services that are marked as dining car service (which is as posted above limited).

There is a small menu available on certain services which still has a decent selection of cold food and than there is the trolley only menu (sandwiches only).

On the Mark IV operated trains what you get with FC class is nicer furniture and a free cup of coffee/tea.

What kind of coffee/tea you get depends on what crew is on board and what the official service is.

On the services with dining car you get it from the kitchen in a French press and can order additional hot food items (sometimes you even get orange juice or water).

On other services you get French press and can order cold food and on others you still get a free coffee/tea but that is from the trolley.

As to riff raff? Well loads of people pay 25€ on the train to upgrade because standard class is too full so there is not always escaping those.

Sundays for example all you get is trolley. On my 1625 service on Friday it depends on the crew and what train is used (because one regularly has no water).

Plus if you are on one of those with the other train set you will get the same seating as in standard class just next to the shop counter. But that is 12.50€ more if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Got banned and changed his name :) (I'm guessing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Supermacs in Heuston,, be grand!!

Supermacs in Heuston,, be grand!!

A true gourmand. :D

Well the 6.95 deluxe breakfast is actual not too bad in Supermacs. Did that this morning as I was way to early for my train.

• Advertisement

This topic comes to mind now - as I sit on a Commuter train from Belfast - yes....a COMMUTER train is taking me home from BELFAST.

The Enterprise engine broke down of course (it happens, but it's amusing and not at all shocking to me that the part of Enterprise that always fails is the part that IE are in charge of, they just can't help but fail)...now even in a well maintained service (which IE is not, by any stretch) breakdowns will happen, what has always amazed me though is there is no stand by or standard protocol (or does not appear to be) for this situation. They either replace it with an NIR CAF (which despite being on the Derry run is not an Intercity standard service, at all) or , it seems, an IE CAF....WHY?

Is there a limited number of ICRs' ? a shortage? I always see them lounging around outside Heuston in fact I see the EXACT type that would not only be a great Enterprise replacement (the ones with premier class carriages) but they WERE Enterprise replacements during the overhaul, so why could they send them through the PP tunnel to replace Enterprise then but never seem to use them to do it when Enterprise has a break down? Is it because it's close to rush hour are they all in service atm? what about outside of rush hour?
    It seems very shoddy to replace a high standard and very comfortable Intercity service with a cold uncomfortable Commuter train when you have a stock of perfectly good Intercity trains in your fleet.

Why?

(the one saving grace in it being an IE CAF rather than NIR is that youtube and streaming sites are not blocked and they don't have NIRs utterly ABSURD 150mb download limit)

This topic comes to mind now - as I sit on a Commuter train from Belfast - yes....a COMMUTER train is taking me home from BELFAST.

The Enterprise engine broke down of course (it happens, but it's amusing and not at all shocking to me that the part of Enterprise that always fails is the part that IE are in charge of, they just can't help but fail)...now even in a well maintained service (which IE is not, by any stretch) breakdowns will happen, what has always amazed me though is there is no stand by or standard protocol (or does not appear to be) for this situation. They either replace it with an NIR CAF (which despite being on the Derry run is not an Intercity standard service, at all) or , it seems, an IE CAF....WHY?

Is there a limited number of ICRs' ? a shortage? I always see them lounging around outside Heuston in fact I see the EXACT type that would not only be a great Enterprise replacement (the ones with premier class carriages) but they WERE Enterprise replacements during the overhaul, so why could they send them through the PP tunnel to replace Enterprise then but never seem to use them to do it when Enterprise has a break down? Is it because it's close to rush hour are they all in service atm? what about outside of rush hour?
    It seems very shoddy to replace a high standard and very comfortable Intercity service with a cold uncomfortable Commuter train when you have a stock of perfectly good Intercity trains in your fleet.

Why?

because "reasons" that don't stack up and have lots to disprove their validity.

it's always the reason why connolly users and other users who are not on services to and from heuston will continue to get an absolutely **** deal and will pay hefty fares for the privelage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

because "reasons" that don't stack up and have lots to disprove their validity.

What "reasons"? If you don't mind elaborating please.

Why?

(the one saving grace in it being an IE CAF rather than NIR is that youtube and streaming sites are not blocked and they don't have NIRs utterly ABSURD 150mb download limit)

NIR look after DD stock, most recent failures are the responsibility of NIR. I would be surprised in the locomotive failed and wasn't replaced before departing Connolly.

There isn't adequate ICR to have them laying around to operate to Belfast, all bar a handful are in daily service.

And all this is after how many millions spent on the Enterprise service which is now slower than it was almost 30 years ago.

• Advertisement

And all this is after how many millions spent on the Enterprise service which is now slower than it was almost 30 years ago.

Ironically, its probally having it's best period of operation in years since the refurb and EGVs. 2 sets failed yesterday.

To paraphrase Lefty Ruggerio, the new york mobster, talking to Donnie Brasco "I SEE THE ICR'S OUTSIDE HEUSTON WITH MY EYES I SEE THEM DONNIIIEEEEEEEE! "

They are THERE, maybe not today at rush hour, I'll grant that, but can't they stick a commuter carriage on the PPT lines (where it would be way better suited) and take an ICR for NI? I would even advocate having a special ICR in Dundalk or Drougheda on standby for just this kind of thing, because it happens SO OFTEN.

When you are burned out and looking forward to a nice comfy 4 seater to the point where you even illicitly use an elaborate mechanism to get down there before the que forms and be there first to get a decent seat, you deserve that seat you semi-legitimately earned

Not to be a snob but to my utter horror I saw GREEN and thought "noooooo they'd not bring an IE Commuter all the way up here nah nah", then I get down the steps "ah f&&*******!". In a panic i bolted to get a 4 seater hoping to good God I'd not get some obese couple or kids or person with 20 shopping bags wedging in with me, or northerners getting off at Portadown (which should be a capital crime in itself - since it annoys me, the ultimate sin in my book) and I did, but no sockets! the wifi went off for half the journey and i could not even get my Expresso loike this is unacceptable loike k? jeez!

To paraphrase Lefty Ruggerio, the new york mobster, talking to Donnie Brasco "I SEE THE ICR'S OUTSIDE HEUSTON WITH MY EYES I SEE THEM DONNIIIEEEEEEEE! "

They are THERE, maybe not today at rush hour, I'll grant that, but can't they stick a commuter carriage on the PPT lines (where it would be way better suited) and take an ICR for NI? I would even advocate having a special ICR in Dundalk or Drougheda on standby for just this kind of thing, because it happens SO OFTEN.

When you are burned out and looking forward to a nice comfy 4 seater to the point where you even illicitly use an elaborate mechanism to get down there before the que forms and be there first to get a decent seat, you deserve that seat you semi-legitimately earned

Not to be a snob but to my utter horror I saw GREEN and thought "noooooo they'd not bring an IE Commuter all the way up here nah nah", then I get down the steps "ah f&&*******!". In a panic i bolted to get a 4 seater hoping to good God I'd not get some obese couple or kids or person with 20 shopping bags wedging in with me, or northerners getting off at Portadown (which should be a capital crime in itself - since it annoys me, the ultimate sin in my book) and I did, but no sockets! the wifi went off for half the journey and i could not even get my Expresso loike this is unacceptable loike k? jeez!

You may see them all there however there is only one standby unit which is a (3 or 4 car). You can't just remove ICR's off PPT service because drivers are not trained nor is it worth training them for something that might happen once every 6-8 weeks. If there was a 4 car available like in the past at Connolly they would of sent it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I remember getting egg, chips and a pot of tea on a Dublin to Waterford train back in the late '80's. All freshly cooked. I remember the dining car on the train.

IE need to realise it's 2017, the third class system died out on the railways decades ago. you wouldn't think it though with the way connolly services and some others are treated.

Advertisement