Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Hi I bought a 21.5KG item from an eBay seller, they are a shop in England

They 1 day delivered the package to NI and it was forwarded on to me, I picked it up at the depot because it was oversize

The item is defective and has to be returned.

The eBay seller automatically generated a useless Royal Mail return sticker, and in talking to them since they are very open to figuring out what to do, but they can't organise a pick up from my location as it's in a different country to the country it was shipped to, and then anyway they said it is actually very expensive for them if I was to get it brought to an NI address and picked up from there. They are asking me to price getting it to them by courier myself.

Is it possible for me to send it back to them through Parcel Motel? It should be 7.99 + 7.99 again for home delivery (or whatever extra that is). Will that work with a big item like this? The box is bigger than the dimensions on the parcel motel website.. but they delivered it to me the first time

Looked through their frequently asked questions but couldn't figure it out.

Many thanks.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Hi I bought a 21.5KG item from an eBay seller, they are a shop in England

They 1 day delivered the package to NI and it was forwarded on to me, I picked it up at the depot because it was oversize

The item is defective and has to be returned.

The eBay seller automatically generated a useless Royal Mail return sticker, and in talking to them since they are very open to figuring out what to do, but they can't organise a pick up from my location as it's in a different country to the country it was shipped to, and then anyway they said it is actually very expensive for them if I was to get it brought to an NI address and picked up from there. They are asking me to price getting it to them by courier myself.

Is it possible for me to send it back to them through Parcel Motel? It should be 7.99 + 7.99 again for home delivery (or whatever extra that is). Will that work with a big item like this? The box is bigger than the dimensions on the parcel motel website.. but they delivered it to me the first time

Looked through their frequently asked questions but couldn't figure it out.

Many thanks.... :cool:

Not sure if this would make sense but there is an option in Parcel motel website where you can select "return to a retailer" and you can select Royal Mail. Costs 3.50euro.

So it is possible but you would need to buy the online postage from Royal mail if you want it get delivered to the shop in England.

So there will be 2 labels:

Parcel motel -> Royal Mail then
    Royal mail -> Retailer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you look back a bit though this thread, it doesn't seem to work too well.

Hi thanks for the replies, I'm going with GLS they will collect it from my door and deliver to their door in England for either 26 or 33 euro depending exactly on the size when they measure it. The shop in England will have to reimburse me but I don't think they will be able to do it cheaper. They requested me to get a quote from a courier as they can't organise it from their end at an affordable price. DPD were 70 euros.

GLS were very sound on the phone, don't care how much it weighs (it's a 21.5kg battery)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Hi thanks for the replies, I'm going with GLS they will collect it from my door and deliver to their door in England for either 26 or 33 euro depending exactly on the size when they measure it. The shop in England will have to reimburse me but I don't think they will be able to do it cheaper. They requested me to get a quote from a courier as they can't organise it from their end at an affordable price. DPD were 70 euros.

GLS were very sound on the phone, don't care how much it weighs (it's a 21.5kg battery)

Read reviews for GLS on google before you go with them.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    Read reviews for GLS on google before you go with them.

sweet jesus what have I done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

sweet jesus what have I done

GLS just delivered a battery to me that I wasn't expecting.... Wonder where that came from and why? :D

Sorry frozen, only joking.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I've been using ParcelMotel for a number of years now, it's been almost totally problem free. One thing that's always bugged me is that you don't ever get notified from them that they have whatever you ordered in the depot in Newtownabbey. You have to wait until it gets to the Dublin depot before you ever hear anything.

There's a period there for 9/10/11 hours or so where you've no idea what's going on. Shipped something to them today again, it was delivered at 5.18am this morning in Newtownabbey. I got the email notification at 3.25pm.

Would it be so hard to notify you that they have it when it gets delivered in Newtownabbey? I'd appreciate the extra piece of mind - particularly with something valuable like when I shipped a GTX 1070 to them. Although since its worked for me thus far I'll likely keep using them. Are other services like Parcel Wizard like that where they take their time notifying you about whether they have it or not?

Anyway to tell a story, early last year I had a cheap Solid State Drive delivered to ParcelMotel through Newtownabbey and I never got the notification email that it landed in Dublin. I contacted them after a number of days, they were helpful enough but they wanted proof of delivery so they could chase it up.

So I got onto the delivery company (Yodel - never want to have to deal with that courier again), and was sent round and round in circles trying to get what I wanted. In the end I gave up because I figured I'd spend more on phone calls than I paid for the drive. I resolved to not using PM again assuming they were at fault.

2/3 months later I got a notification that there was a parcel ready for me in the local motel. It turned out to be the drive I ordered but the retailer was to blame - they had put the wrong name on it, left out the PMID number and left out 60% of the address. The only identifying thing that could say it was addressed to me was that my phone number was on it.

Has that happened to anyone else here?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've used GLS a good few times to send boxes to UK and it has always been fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Do nightline do home delivery on Saturdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Shn99 wrote: »
    Do nightline do home delivery on Saturdays?

I believe you can request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I believe you can request it.

Ara i wont bother with the hassle, will probably cost more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

z0oT wrote: »
    I've been using ParcelMotel for a number of years now, it's been almost totally problem free. One thing that's always bugged me is that you don't ever get notified from them that they have whatever you ordered in the depot in Newtownabbey. You have to wait until it gets to the Dublin depot before you ever hear anything.

There's a period there for 9/10/11 hours or so where you've no idea what's going on. Shipped something to them today again, it was delivered at 5.18am this morning in Newtownabbey. I got the email notification at 3.25pm.

Would it be so hard to notify you that they have it when it gets delivered in Newtownabbey?

Yes.

All they do up there is accept packages and throw them in cages. Their warehouse where the people and scanners are is in Dublin. Your tracking with the originating carrier is enough to fill the dots in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I always get an email as soon as my parcel arrives in NI.

Possibly something in your settings needs tweaking, can't remember what I did as I'm with them from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Anyone having issues logging into PM site?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Just tried it there, and it's working fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Logging in fine for me just there

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I always get an email as soon as my parcel arrives in NI.

Possibly something in your settings needs tweaking, can't remember what I did as I'm with them from the start.

That's curious. Would you mind sharing a screengrab of that email? Obviously with your details blacked out, I'd be interested to see it.

I've never seen such a setting on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

I always used to get it when checked into NI but don't think they check any parcels in in NI any more. All processing is done in Dublin and I get the email then now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It used to be that you got the email when it arrived in Newtownabbey, together with the photo of your parcel on what looked like an old red leather sofa :) Then at some point, things changed and you now get the email when it arrives in their Dublin depot. I've no idea why they changed it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Alun wrote: »
    It used to be that you got the email when it arrived in Newtownabbey, together with the photo of your parcel on what looked like an old red leather sofa :) Then at some point, things changed and you now get the email when it arrives in their Dublin depot. I've no idea why they changed it to be honest.

How long ago did you start using Parcel motel?

I just checked my emails from 2013 - 2015 I got no notification until it was ready for collection. Then from some point in 2015 on wards I go the email to let me know when an item has arrived in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

tuxy wrote: »
    How long ago did you start using Parcel motel?

I just checked my emails from 2013 - 2015 I got no notification until it was ready for collection. Then from some point in 2015 on wards I go the email to let me know when an item has arrived in Dublin.
    November 2012, apparently. I don't keep any emails that old, so have no way of checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Alun wrote: »

I too have seen that sofa many times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

z0oT wrote:
    That's curious. Would you mind sharing a screengrab of that email? Obviously with your details blacked out, I'd be interested to see it.

Haven't used it in a while but as soon as I do I'll fire it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I always get an email with a picture of the package once it reaches the dublin depot aswell, and another when its ready for collection at my box in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The old emails reference images which have been deleted from PMs server, unless you have a client thats cached them they'll be gone.

ED E wrote: »
    The old emails reference images which have been deleted from PMs server, unless you have a client thats cached them they'll be gone.

I'm almost sure my old arrival emails had the red sofa images when it arrived in Dublin back in 2015 but as you said the images have been deleted so I can't be 100% sure.

Very strange that people are saying that same red sofa was also in Newtownabbey.
    And why would they send arrival confirmation to some people from Dublin and some from Newtownabbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Anyone notice Parcel Motel being a bit slow recently? Item in Dublin depot since Saturday, got email to say this, but still not in my local locker. I checked the tracking and there was no attempted delivery to the locker at any stage, so its not a case they are all full and busy.

Was also like this approx 2 weeks ago with a delivery taking 2 full working days before making it to my locker. Parcel Motel is now becoming the bottleneck in deliveries for me.

• Advertisement

I just checked my last 3 deliveries one 2 months ago and 2 in the last week. No problems here, it's always available for collection the day after I get the notice from Dublin.

Advertisement