Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

DocMcC wrote: »
    My only guess is that with Brexit coming they expect a vastly reduced business so they are removing the lockers as contracts expire!! (the takeover by UPS of Niteline might also be related!)

Guess it was good while it lasted....

Anyone had much experience of addresspal?

With Brexit, UPS and PM have an outstanding opportunity to dominate Irish market. With the logistics of the UPS behind it, they only need to open relay addreses in Germany and France, the business would flow as never before.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Then 2 weeks ago I get an email to say my local locker is being got rid of. when I looked on line I saw that where there were loads of lockers locally 6 months ago they are all gone and only one left!!!

Appears they are using shops now which is of no use to me.

Planning issues with the lockers - the council are cracking down on them: https://fora.ie/parcel-motel-south-dublin-4136544-Jul2018/

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Planning issues with the lockers - the council are cracking down on them: https://fora.ie/parcel-motel-south-dublin-4136544-Jul2018/

So they’ll be paying rates soon if they aren’t already which will mean increased costs to the consumer.
    An Post have a natural network of branches in place right now. They should be creating their own plans for the future instead of closing post offices. Deliveries are only going to increase - it makes sense to invest in a permanent network now and grab the consumers while you still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DocMcC

JazzyJ wrote: »

Well that explains it. Such a pity that our councillors feel that these sort of issues are worth going after when there are some REAL issues in south county Dublin that they couldn't be bothered with....

Guess a state monopoly wins again - wonder how much An Post was involved in the complains (conspiracy theory eh...)

Only person who loses is the consumer. I say, don't vote for any councillor who supports this kind of anti-competitive behaviour.

First world problems I guess... (it was nice while it lasted!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DocMcC

Anyone know if I went out to the depot would they give me my 4 parcels that are probably waiting for space in the local lockers?

Thanks,

• Advertisement

Anyone know if I went out to the depot would they give me my 4 parcels that are probably waiting for space in the local lockers?

Thanks,

Not a clue- check the website or email their so-called support mail address i posted a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dollylama

I'm adding my Parcel Motel address to my Amazon account here. By default, Amazon tick that an address can receive packages on Saturday and Sunday but in the case of Parcel Motel, this would require their Northern Ireland depot to be open on these days.

Is their depot open to receive packages at the weekend or should I untick?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I've a package which has been in PM depot since Thursday afternoon. Service seems to have gone downhill lately. An email advising of delays should be sent at bare minimum..

Eod100 wrote: »
    I've a package which has been in PM depot since Thursday afternoon. Service seems to have gone downhill lately. An email advising of delays should be sent at bare minimum..

They seem to replying on Twitter with generic messages about hoping to get parcel out tomorrow. I'd be shocked if this was honoured. Wouldn't be in a rush to use their service again tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

With the Christmas season approaching, what are the alternatives to PM?
    Bulk buy enough on Amazon to get free delivery?
    An Post Address Pal?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    With the Christmas season approaching, what are the alternatives to PM?
    Bulk buy enough on Amazon to get free delivery?
    An Post Address Pal?

Guess most people use it to make sure they don't have to go out to depot when something gets delivered at work. Not too sure of ityer services like that. Think theres one specific to DHL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

There's An Post Address Pal, DPD Parcel Wizard, Fastway Parcel Connect and Nightlife Parcel Motel.

There's An Post Address Pal, DPD Parcel Wizard, Fastway Parcel Connect and Nightlife Parcel Motel.

Ah thanks. Must look into them. From a quick glance at their sites it's not obvious where locations are. Maybe have to register to find that out

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just be aware of the insurance limitations, particularly with Addresspal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Eod100 wrote: »
    [...] where locations are. [...]

AddressPal - default: post office of your choice. Home/work/etc. delivery @ extra charge.

DPD Parcel Wizard - default: home/work/etc. delivery. Depot collection @ no extra charge.

ParcelConnect - default: some local stores. No alternative options IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

DHL have a internal locker system in stores in Galway too

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

joujoujou wrote: »
    DPD Parcel Wizard - default: home/work/etc. delivery. Depot collection @ no extra charge.

DPD also allow you to pick up in some PayZone shops, not just depots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Will PM accept Royal Mail tracked & signed packages? Seem to recall that there was some issue with signing for packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Berserker wrote: »
    Will PM accept Royal Mail tracked & signed packages? Seem to recall that there was some issue with signing for packages?

I don't recall an issue with PM not wanting to sign for parcels. However, I do recall an issue some time ago where Royal Mail wouldn't deliver to a commercial 'drop-box' service. Something about staff not wanting to support their competition.... However, I may have got all that wrong... Your post just triggered a memory from the edge of my recall.

Notwithstanding the above, I NEVER had a parcel either not delivered or refused by PM, and I've been with PM since more or less the beginning....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Just on that note, if one was to use a pre-paid Royal Mail return through PM with the intention of it then being posted to an address in the UK - have people had experience where this was a pretty straight-forward thing to do?

Do you just attach the RM label and the UK destination label on the parcel?

If eBay wanted tracking for this, which one do you supply?

Or should I just send from PM to the specific address and pay the 14.50 for it?

I'm returning an item and was wondering about the process.

• Advertisement

It depends what sort of label you have for Royal Mail. Some need to be scanned by post office which Parcel Motel won't do, they'll just give them to a Royal Mail driver.

I've used it 4 times and once it went missing. Hermes always show up eventually but can be very delayed. I've found Collect+ through Parcel Motel to be the most reliable.

It depends what sort of label you have for Royal Mail. Some need to be scanned by post office which Parcel Motel won't do, they'll just give them to a Royal Mail driver.

I've used it 4 times and once it went missing. Hermes always show up eventually but can be very delayed. I've found Collect+ through Parcel Motel to be the most reliable.

Thanks for the reply.

It's a pre-paid Tracked 48/Royal Mail label from eBay.

I can only imagine that this label would be the required and probably most reliable when it comes from eBay, but I'm not sure.

Are Collect+ only for shop returns? I've used them once or twice, successfully. All to vendors.

The item is a return to a seller that might not be the happiest about having something sent back to him, so I was hoping once it does go to RM then there should be no return issues about the package not getting to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Based on the points made here, I'll certainly add the DPD Parcel Wizard to my delivery options.

However, all of these services have one thing in common- they all operate on the basis of carrying each package across the Irish Sea, one package at a time. This, even if the package is a simple envelope of Resistors costing £1.99, posted FOC by the UK sender within the UK. I want a service that aggregates packages for me, a post-box that is emptied on demand. where the emptier puts possibly 10 packages into a small box and sends that to me... Otherwise, each £1.99 envelope costs me €3.75 or €4 when they could all be fit into one package that is 12x12x6 inches....

I'm not asking for much, am I? ;-)

Thanks for the reply.

It's a pre-paid Tracked 48/Royal Mail label from eBay.

I can only imagine that this label would be the required and probably most reliable when it comes from eBay, but I'm not sure.

Are Collect+ only for shop returns? I've used them once or twice, successfully. All to vendors.

The item is a return to a seller that might not be the happiest about having something sent back to him, so I was hoping once it does go to RM then there should be no return issues about the package not getting to him.

I think the tracked ones need to be scanned in a post office but not 100% sure.

You can also send to any address via collect+ https://www.collectplus.co.uk/

I think the tracked ones need to be scanned in a post office but not 100% sure.

You can also send to any address via collect+ https://www.collectplus.co.uk/

So it goes to a store and then is posted on from there?

Sorry to bother you with the questions. I'll do my research tomorrow when I have more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Is there any way to get receipt for sending package with address that the parcel was sent too?
    I'm going to send something to uk and they will refund the cost but i'm afraid that the vat receipt that i can print myself won't be enough for them - as there won't be any tracking number or something to identify the parcel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I've used PM in the past to send items to the UK but never to an Irish address. I'm wondering how long would it take from drop off in locker to arrive at the receivers home address???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I've used PM in the past to send items to the UK but never to an Irish address. I'm wondering how long would it take from drop off in locker to arrive at the receivers home address???

Don't know to an address but I bought an item on adverts on Sunday afternoon and the seller put it in a locker Sunday night, I had it in my locker first thing Tuesday morning. It was from Kildare to Galway

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

First delay I've experienced....item showed up on my account yesterday and usually I can pick it up the next morning. No sign of any collection notification as of writing.

• Advertisement

First delay I've experienced....item showed up on my account yesterday and usually I can pick it up the next morning. No sign of any collection notification as of writing.

Mines been in depot since Thursday and no sign of it yet. They seem to be at least a few days behind

Advertisement