Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Could they not releasing it cause the shower door contains glass and glass items are against their terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

They're fairly upfront about their costs: https://parcelmotel.com/prices/#prices-oversized
    They even have a calculator to help you work them out.

Also, the 55Kg limit is actually the dimensional weight of the parcel, not the mass.
    They give the formula Length × Width × Height in cm / 3000 to calculate this.
    Given the large size of a shower door you could easily exceed 55Kg dimensional weight.

Ask them for the exact dimensions and weight of the parcel and use the calculator to work it out: https://my.parcelmotel.com/price-calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

Thanks sugarman. The calculator says the size is not supported by parcel motel

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Could they not releasing it cause the shower door contains glass and glass items are against their terms and conditions.
    Generally aren't shower doors some kind of plastic or perspex.

I doubt they know it contains glass .. or tempered safety glass. Its due to its size is the reason they are giving me. I have no problem to pay 20 or even 40 euro to release it ... but 147 is just crazy considering DPD will delivery a pallet of heavy goods for 20 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

No use now but parcel wizard are a bit more lenient with sizing. Did you not suspect there may be an issue with an item this big? You could buy credit at 35 for 39.50 to reduce the cost a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

I've gotten a shower door through Parcel Motel, twice I think, and both times I collected it from the depot in Dublin and it was €7, I think. No hassles.
    What has changed with them?

I've gotten a shower door through Parcel Motel, twice I think, and both times I collected it from the depot in Dublin and it was €7, I think. No hassles.
    What has changed with them?

I don't know what has changed. And its a small door for a small ensuite, 70cm wide .. its not a big walk-in shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Juran wrote: »
    147 is just crazy considering DPD will delivery a pallet of heavy goods for 20 quid.
    A shower door is bigger than a pallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

I doubt they know it contains glass .. or tempered safety glass. Its due to its size is the reason they are giving me. I have no problem to pay 20 or even 40 euro to release it ... but 147 is just crazy considering DPD will delivery a pallet of heavy goods for 20 quid.

Dpd wont deliver pallets...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Generally aren't shower doors some kind of plastic or perspex.

Good shower doors are real glass. You'll know difference from the weight

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

Have PM slowed down recently? Have a package with them, delivered to NI Friday morning, in transit from Dublin depot Friday afternoon, would have always had this at my locker in Cork City by Saturday morning but nothing so far. It’s for someone who is moving abroad this evening so looking like I am screwed. i thought it would be 24 hours including Saturdays? Gahhh. Will be looking like a €150 courier job to forward this to the recipient on the continent now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have PM slowed down recently? Have a package with them, delivered to NI Friday morning, in transit from Dublin depot Friday afternoon, would have always had this at my locker in Cork City by Saturday morning but nothing so far. It’s for someone who is moving abroad this evening so looking like I am screwed. i thought it would be 24 hours including Saturdays? Gahhh. Will be looking like a €150 courier job to forward this to the recipient on the continent now...

Shouldn't have left the window so tight.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

Shouldn't have left the window so tight.

Couldn't have been helped sadly, life happens.

It finally checked in this morning, in case it is useful info for anyone else. Have to say this is the first time that I've had a Friday package not be checked in over the weekend, and I use PM a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Couldn't have been helped sadly, life happens.

It finally checked in this morning, in case it is useful info for anyone else. Have to say this is the first time that I've had a Friday package not be checked in over the weekend, and I use PM a fair bit.

Glad you got it in the end.

And yes, life happens & you don't always get the chance to plan as you would like.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theyve obviously started charging because people were taking the mick with it, eg friggin shower doors. Its ___Parcel___ Motel not B&Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

6 days gone now, shipping limerick to dublin using PM to send. Emails, phone calls, twitter DM and still no idea if my package will ever be delivered. No tracking number, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

yankinlk wrote: »
    6 days gone now, shipping limerick to dublin using PM to send. Emails, phone calls, twitter DM and still no idea if my package will ever be delivered. No tracking number, nothing.

Did you try the PRSL number @ https://www.nightline-delivers.com/SmartShip.Online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Yeah thanks. I can see it's been in hub twice and weighed twice and outbound once. Not moved since friday afternoon. So wish I had done ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

ED E wrote: »
    Theyve obviously started charging because people were taking the mick with it, eg friggin shower doors. Its ___Parcel___ Motel not B&Q.

And yet their website clearly shows examples of large screen TV and bicycles.
    I seem to remember they'd even allow a cooker to be delivered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Was this resolved?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I wonder did someone enter the wrong dimensions? For example, they put 700 (for mm) instead of 70 cm into the calculator

Packaged 700 wide 1900metre high Shower door with 6mm glass would be approx 10 cm by 80 cm by 200 cm and weigh approx 35 ish kilos.
    According to the P.M. calculator it would be 7.00 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

147? You might be snookered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Looking at this shower door as an example...

https://victoriaplum.com/product/orchard-6mm-pivot-hinged-shower-door?options=size|700mm

and calling it say 190cm x 75cm x 10cm & 25kg to allow for the packaging, I get a delivery charge of 7eur. In fact I can increase that weight up to 100kg and it is still only 42eur. Or pad out the packaging to 190x80x15 & 25kg and it is still only 28 (see pic attached). So unless the packaging is very strange I can't see how you are being charged so much. But then you yourself say that when you inputted the details it said "The size you picked is not supported by Parcel Motel" - which implied the parcel is huge! What dimensions and weight are you putting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

That's the same fee as I got.
    Shower doors in their original packaging are a straightforward long rectangular shape with a bit of weight, nothing unusual about them, I've installed hundreds.
    If you imput the cm figures as 5 x 750 (should be 75) x 200 with 35kg you get 147.00 euro.
    I imagine that's where the error was made.

Still not resolved. I will have to pay the 147 fee. Finally a nice customer service person looked into it for me, she got a photo from the warehouse for me, i think the main problem is that the shower door is sitting on a pallet and they are moving it by a forklift. I offered to pick it up in dublin, its still 147 to release it. We are away on holidays these 2 weeks so hence the delay in paying as i want to avoid us being delayed picking it up.
    Lessons learned for me ... do not use Parcel Motel for over sized items ...

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Still not resolved. I will have to pay the 147 fee. Finally a nice customer service person looked into it for me, she got a photo from the warehouse for me, i think the main problem is that the shower door is sitting on a pallet and they are moving it by a forklift. I offered to pick it up in dublin, its still 147 to release it. We are away on holidays these 2 weeks so hence the delay in paying as i want to avoid us being delayed picking it up.

Dont pay it, put you situation up on twitter and @ them, also @ parcel wizard and any other parcel courier you can think of.
    And you will get a more favorable result!

It's how I handle all my customer complaints, I also @ charlie Weston and @ Conor Pope. They love these customer relations sagas in public!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

In fairness, I would say the real lesson is make sure you know your shipping dimensions before you use Parcel Motel XL. It is a service that is very clear about its pricing for XL items, you just have to make the point of confirming the shipping dimensions with the supplier, something I did recently when I was pricing a table from John Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I must be missing something in the conversation.

OP says free delivery in Ireland why is Parcel Motel involved? Surely if it was undeliverable because no one at home whichever delivery agent that was being used would just hold it and leave a card.

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I must be missing something in the conversation.

OP says free delivery in Ireland why is Parcel Motel involved? Surely if it was undeliverable because no one at home whichever delivery agent that was being used would just hold it and leave a card.
    They had it delivered there as they weren't available to receive the free delivery.

Advertisement