Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Just got the same - it means Parcel Motel are useless now. Why bother paying extra when the whole point was to use a UK virtual address for purchases that were cheaper or free for UK addresses.
    For me going to the parcel locker to pick up my package is no different than going to my local PO to pick up packages if I wasn't at home.

They've just fatally wounded their model.

Remaining optimistic about the "temporary" bit. It's a service I use quite a bit, so I'd be willing to pay a reasonable increase in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

So basically from today there’s no point ordering anything to parcel motel as it may not reach them by the 28th.

Just got the same - it means Parcel Motel are useless now. Why bother paying extra when the whole point was to use a UK virtual address for purchases that were cheaper or free for UK addresses.

They've just fatally wounded their model.

I doubt they care, they're effectively gone from 28th December. Nothing they can do about it. Its the Brexit effect. Saying you can still pick up by using the Irish address is just offering some goodwill for the short term as there is no incentive to use it.

I doubt Parcel Motel are very happy about their business being ruined either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

It might be worth checking your inbox if you use Parcel Motel.

They’re temporarily suspending their U.K. forwarding service from 28 December.
    Following the Brexit impact, we would like to share with you that as of December 28th, our virtual address services in the UK will be temporarily suspended. This means that from this date, we will no longer accept deliveries at the UK virtual address: 1a McKinney Road, Newtownabbey, UK. We are working diligently to update our product offering in order to adapt to the latest trade requirements as they come to conclusion and better serve your shopping needs. You will receive further updates in the coming weeks.

UK returns accepted until December 30th

Return shipments to the UK will only be accepted until December 30th. Please ensure that you send your return prior to this date in order to avoid additional charges.

We’re going to need a German equivalent to open up more options for online shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Frustrating. Currently searching for the 'refund credit' option on their site... lol

• Advertisement

• 10-10-20 wrote: »
    Frustrating. Currently searching for the 'refund credit' option on their site... lol

I’d say a lot of people will be asking for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I had €20 credit in parcel motel so tried to use up on the past few weeks. A few thing haven't arrived at parcel motel yet even though posted from uk 2weeks ago . If don't arrive in the next few days, have lost 100s. Serves me right trying to save €20😭. Fuming they only emailed today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

RTE confirming the decision here: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1218/1185367-parcel-motel-brexit/

Real shame.

Address Pal seem to be the only virtual service that has adopted for potential customs charges.

Hopefully there will be a last-minute free trade agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So when are they refunding our credit? :mad:

Thats the only reason they left the Irish address open tbh, so they can claim they're still providing a "service".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

I guess the last thing they want is a warehouse full of parcels that they’ll have to follow up for customs or return.

The big issue is that if you buy something in the U.K. and it’s packed with an intention to ship domestically, it won’t have a customs declaration on the outside.

That’ll make it very difficult to just forward though a service like this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Is there a German version?

The UK leaving is a fcuk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Well there it was , gone , fair bit of investment in lockers gone up in smoke

At least Address Pal is holding on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

From their website. There doesn't appear to be any way to request your account to be closed

Background Information

At the end of the year, the UK will leave the single market and customs union. As a result, all parcels crossing the new border between Britain and Ireland will be subject to customs formalities affecting the cost and transit time of your shipment.

Following the Brexit impact, we would like to share with you that as of December 31st, our virtual address services in the UK will be temporarily suspended, until such time as a final Brexit decision has been implemented and our services have been adapted to meet the new requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

I have like still 12 parcels due :( Really crappy notice...at least An Post gave an option of home delivery .

Does anyone know what happens after 28th? Is 28th the last day?

EDIT: Just read the notice completely...so basically we have up until 24th to get our "affairs" in order :(

Good luck to everyone with parcels pending!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It’ll be back once/if/when a deal is agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Fwarder wrote: »
    I have like still 12 parcels due :( Really crappy notice...at least An Post gave an option of home delivery .

Does anyone know what happens after 28th? Is 28th the last day?

Yeah Monday 28th. So literally only 4 working days if you include Xmas eve.

From 28th:

We will no longer be accepting deliveries at our depot in Newtownabbey, therefore if a carrier arrives with a delivery it will be refused by our staff and returned to the carrier’s depot. Most carriers return any refused deliveries to the sender but this will depend on the agreement between the shipper and carrier. Please make sure to update all websites where you use the UK virtual address as your default delivery address.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not exactly gone in fairness. Suspended suggests the possibility of relaunching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not exactly gone in fairness. Suspended suggests the possibility of relaunching.

I just placed an order on amazon to deliver to my parcel motel. Supposedly to arrive Monday via prime.

Should I cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

obi604 wrote:
    Should I cancel?

I wouldn't. Its still full service until 28th December

The word is mothballed

• Advertisement

dan786 wrote: »
    Yeah Monday 28th. So literally only 4 working days if you include Xmas eve.

From 28th:

We will no longer be accepting deliveries at our depot in Newtownabbey, therefore if a carrier arrives with a delivery it will be refused by our staff and returned to the carrier’s depot. Most carriers return any refused deliveries to the sender but this will depend on the agreement between the shipper and carrier. Please make sure to update all websites where you use the UK virtual address as your default delivery address.

Only one question comes to my mind: what was the thought process behind that short notice? :D

If at least they sent a heads up email with some options or something two weeks ago like anpost did... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

At least it only says "temporarily", so they might resume once the regulations are sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

I am a first time user of this service.

I believe it will cost me 4.50 for the shipping to the uk virtual address.

How do I pay this? Can I simply just pay 4.50 or so I have to top up by more?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Dublinandy3

When it's not Christmas time they're still pretty decent and cheaper than an post for sending parcels to Irish addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I have a little over €20 credit with them. Will be looking for that back.

The notice is really ****ty. Lots of **** can take longer than that to get delivered, especially this time of the year, so there is a real change people will have ordered parcels to that address before they gave this notice. Just not good enough.

Edit: Second **** there was meant to be "stuff". What could have triggered filter??? Oh, must be 4 letter veriosn of shut the something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

Is there a German version?

The UK leaving is a fcuk up.

None that would be cost effective, here is examples of overpriced services: -

https://www.mailboxde.com

https://mygermany.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Parcel Motel suspending UK virtual address service due to Brexit

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1218/1185367-parcel-motel-brexit/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Post will have to arrive at Newtonabbey by Christmas Eve if that before 28th Dec cutoff is strictly enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭micks_address

I ordered something earlier today using royal mail next day delivery from England to northern ireland. I'm assuming it might take a few days to get there with Christmas volumes. What happens if it doesn't arrive by Thursday?

Will it go back to retailer?

Used

Service used:

Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed 1pm™

• Advertisement

I ordered something earlier today using royal mail next day delivery from England to northern ireland. I'm assuming it might take a few days to get there with Christmas volumes. What happens if it doesn't arrive by Thursday?

Will it go back to retailer?

"Return to sender" i guess.

Advertisement