Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fwarder wrote: »
    Because at least you'll still be able to order some stuff from UK.

Under 22e, no vat not customs., up to 150 just VAT...

Don't forget the freight amount from Addresspal will take a chunk of that €22. And that lower collection limit is finished on 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

whiterebel wrote: »
    Don't forget the freight amount from Addresspal will take a chunk of that €22. And that lower collection limit is finished on 1st July.

Yeah but they charge it here upon pickup, no? I guess we'll see :D

P.s. lads. If it doesn't arrive by Thursday, you might as well ping your sellers to inform them that the parcels might (will definitely) come back :(

Friday is holiday, Saturday is collection only and even if PM worked on 28th, Royal Mail doesn't (bank holiday). So there's that :D

And regarding those "3.25e" for delivery....lol...I just got deducted 4.50e again :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yeah but they charge it here upon pickup, no? I guess we'll see :D

P.s. lads. If it doesn't arrive by Thursday, you might as well ping your sellers to inform them that the parcels might (will definitely) come back :(

Friday is holiday, Saturday is collection only and even if PM worked on 28th, Royal Mail doesn't (bank holiday). So there's that :D

And regarding those "3.25e" for delivery....lol...I just got deducted 4.50e again :D

It is the freight charge to move it from the UK, so its part of the amount that will be liable for charges.

From the PM announcement: € 3.25 (instead of € 4.50) from January 1st 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭micks_address

Delivered to parcel motel this morning. That's pretty impressive. Was only posted yesterday afternoon from midlands uk.

Delivery to local locker and collected this evening. Sigh of relief as was an expensive item and I was worried about it not making it before 28th. Fastest service I've experienced...england to ni overnight and Dublin to locker same day... farewell parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

This is exactly it, shocking customer service. This is not something that's just new, Brexit has been years in the making and even for the last few months we've been waiting for these messages. What it screams to me is that they left it as late as possible just to get as much profit as possible, which can be the only reason.

Do people not open their own ears to the brexit news?

Maybe it's the snowflake generation who just can't do anything themselves.

Once an item gets there before date, then that's no problem. But if an item is scheduled to arrive in 2021 and not just delayed, that is entirely your problem and not listening to brexit news for the past 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Darc19 wrote: »

Once an item gets there before date, then that's no problem. But if an item is scheduled to arrive in 2021 and not just delayed, that is entirely your problem and not listening to brexit news for the past 4 years

PM kept schtum on brexit plans to hoover up as much final Christmas traffic as possible. An expected 30-31 Dec cutoff follows your 2020 rationale - an unadvertised (pre) 28th does not as the effective cutoff is therefore Christmas Eve.

PM, PW and AP were all left in an impossible position by that moron BoJo trying to be clever and get a gun to the EU's head by leaving it all until the last minute. How they are supposed to run their business relying on that kind of scenario.

If they had stopped a month ago they would have been wrong for panicking.
    If they had given a months notice a month ago they would have been wrong to finish before Christmas.
    If they just keep going they'll be flooded with parcels being refused because they require VAT/Duty to be paid, and they'll have to return them.

They can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They can't win.

They could, if they had any semblance of decent customer support, which PM definitely don't. It bangs of cash grab to me.

They could, if they had any semblance of decent customer support, which PM definitely don't. It bangs of cash grab to me.

Totally separate issue. They could be solving every single problem as it arises and it wouldn't affect their business decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Totally separate issue. They could be solving every single problem as it arises and it wouldn't affect their business decisions.

PM knew that the shít was going to hit the fan come the end of this year. Long term the customer service issues would make their business unsustainable (they're at over 80% negative reviews on TrustPilot now) but they knew that investing in more customer support agents or better service made no sense when the writing was on the wall for their business model. The plan was to keep costs as low as possible by cutting services to the bone, get as much cash as possible and to hell with the customers and lost/pilfered parcels. Same mentality as shops selling gift vouchers when they're on the brink of collapse.

• Advertisement

46 Long wrote: »
    PM knew that the shít was going to hit the fan come the end of this year. Long term the customer service issues would make their business unsustainable (they're at over 80% negative reviews on TrustPilot now) but they knew that investing in more customer support agents or better service made no sense when the writing was on the wall for their business model. The plan was to keep costs as low as possible by cutting services to the bone, get as much cash as possible and to hell with the customers and lost/pilfered parcels. Same mentality as shops selling gift vouchers when they're on the brink of collapse.

So PM knew what we still don't know? And nobody else knew, or knows? AP can change their business model, and have, very late. PW and PM left it as late as possible. Again, nothing to do with customer service. UPS bought PM after Brexit was announced, so its not as if they were relying on the UK inbound business. PM and PW will be around for long time yet.

I believe they're linked. If you had good, proper customer service, it negates a lot of the issues you'd experience. Instead, they seem to have just stopped providing support full stop, which only adds to the issues. May not affect the business decisions, but it definitely affects customer perception. As noted above, at 80% negative rating on TrustPilot. And it probably wouldn't change the outcome of the issues, but it goes a long way to appease.

Would it have made a difference overall to the issues with Brexit? Probably not, but instead of trying to stop the wound from bleeding, they're cutting the sides to make it even bigger by having basically no customer support. I genuinely believe they're about to end the service full stop, and as said by others, they're doing a cash grab knowing this.

I actually feel sorry for the agents working the lines, they're just there and have no say in what is happening. I'd imagine a lot may have jumped ship.

I believe they're linked. If you had good, proper customer service, it negates a lot of the issues you'd experience. Instead, they seem to have just stopped providing support full stop, which only adds to the issues. May not affect the business decisions, but it definitely affects customer perception. As noted above, at 80% negative rating on TrustPilot. And it probably wouldn't change the outcome of the issues, but it goes a long way to appease.

Would it have made a difference overall to the issues with Brexit? Probably not, but instead of trying to stop the wound from bleeding, they're cutting the sides to make it even bigger by having basically no customer support. I genuinely believe they're about to end the service full stop, and as said by others, they're doing a cash grab knowing this.

I actually feel sorry for the agents working the lines, they're just there and have no say in what is happening. I'd imagine a lot may have jumped ship.

The problems are many fold. Because of COVID they were avalanched with deliveries. How long does it take to hire drivers who are honest, hard working, with money for a van and all that goes with it (if subcontracted). On what could be very short term conditions. Similarly with good CS agents. If they are good, they’re working for someone else. And they’re not going to move into a job with little or no prospects. The biggest change in transport since we removed clearance on entry is coming with Brexit, and then we are hit with the virus. How is anyone supposed to accurately gauge what is going to happen to their business.
    People in the UK don’t know how they are going to be affected in 12 days.

But this isn't new, covid hit in March, Brexit is ongoing for 4 years. They waited until the last minute to do anything, and are now covering their ears and going LALALALALA. They had more than ample time to get more drivers, more CS staff, more of everything really. Wouldn't matter if the contracts were short term, there are so many people out of jobs, and plenty with vans, who would have been happy to work no doubt. Without knowing the inside of the business, they either did advertise but offered nothing to convince someone to give up €350/week for not working, so they're greedy, or they just didn't advertise.

Again, to me, this smacks of upper management knowing exactly what they are doing and cash grabbing before running. If it was any other company outside of deliveries, people would assume the same, it's signs of a company about to shut up shop and run. There's no excuse for the appalling level of "support" and the obvious ignoring of issues. Is the thread about Parcel Wizard the same?

I do appreciate that these are new challenges they are facing, but I really don't think they actually care. DPD are French owned, Nightline are UPS owned. These companies will cut losses before trying to salvage something imo. We're a tiny country, they don't care about us. Add in the fact that we have a UK sized wall between us and normal EU deliveries, and they care ever less I reckon. Too much hassle to sort for the handful of people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Because at least you'll still be able to order some stuff from UK.

Under 22e, no vat not customs., up to 150 just VAT...

Just a note on this, those rules are changing on July 1st:
    Note

From 1 July 2021 import VAT will:

be payable on all goods entering the EU, irrespective of their value

and

always be collected, irrespective of the amount due.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

edit: I see whiterebel actually mentioned this earlier, my bad.

• spix wrote: »
    OK, if its not true, show me 1 item on amazon.co.uk right now that gives an estimate delivery time before christmas, seeing as irish prime members are supposed to have 2 day delivery there should be loads. But there is literally nothing. You could order and take the chance but still, they are giving long estimates and if looking for something to arrive before christmas it would be much safer to use parcel motel at current time.
    Whether or not they do get dispatched sooner is another question. It could be warehouse dependent for example, I've seen some items dispatched to Irish address quickly whereas others are not dispatched for 4-5 days. All those same items would've been dispatched extremely quickly to northern ireland.

Example https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7BNPPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Delivery to parcel motel by Monday 21st.
    Delivery to irish address - estimate Jan 4th.

That’s because An Post are still contracted for the majority of the countries deliveries from Amazon. In fact I think it’s just Dublin who gets Amazon logistics deliveries now, so of course the date is longer. An post takes several days off over Christmas & are still swamped with parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Darc19 wrote: »

You missed the point of my post. If you're talking personally then I'm not caught out but it's nothing to do with the snowflake generation, actually quite the opposite. The people caught out by this would be the older generation who still trust companies.

PM would have known what date they was planning on suspending, they're a business, they'd have to. Parcel delays have been happening for weeks so the decent thing to do would be to anticipate this and not tell their customers at a time when parcels already sent that would normally get there in time wouldn't.

Good customer service is when you don't ever need to contact a company because it's proactive and solves issues before they happen when possible. Bad customer service is waiting for predictable stuff to happen then fixing it reactively.

On the other hand, your post assuming what I meant, taking it out of context then reacting like you did is quite 'snowflake' wouldn't you say?

• How does a thread about parcel motel devolve into people calling each other snowflakes?

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

You missed the point of my post. If you're talking personally then I'm not caught out but it's nothing to do with the snowflake generation, actually quite the opposite. The people caught out by this would be the older generation who still trust companies.

PM would have known what date they was planning on suspending, they're a business, they'd have to. Parcel delays have been happening for weeks so the decent thing to do would be to anticipate this and not tell their customers at a time when parcels already sent that would normally get there in time wouldn't.

Good customer service is when you don't ever need to contact a company because it's proactive and solves issues before they happen when possible. Bad customer service is waiting for predictable stuff to happen then fixing it reactively.

On the other hand, your post assuming what I meant, taking it out of context then reacting like you did is quite 'snowflake' wouldn't you say?
    It's also a bit rich, snidely making comments about the last 4 years when PM themselves have waited to less than two weeks to go, to actually notify customers of the suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

That’s because An Post are still contracted for the majority of the countries deliveries from Amazon. In fact I think it’s just Dublin who gets Amazon logistics deliveries now, so of course the date is longer. An post takes several days off over Christmas & are still swamped with parcels.

No issue with some non urgent orders I made recently arriving quickly from Amazon with anpost. Even though estimate was around 8 days they arrived 3-4 after order. Its just the estimate is pushed way back whilst its not for Dublin which seems to be done more accurately. It still would put me off ordering anything once says it wont arrive in time for xmas even though theres a good chance it would have. Only the odd item takes several days to dispatch and once its with anpost always 2-3 days. Example got 1 item with Estimate 30th December, was dispatched 18th, arrived in Dublin Hub today and likely here tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Parcel motel started out with great customer service. They actually used to call me personally if my PM number wasn’t on a parcel they were unsure of. They even threw the odd parcel in with another.
    Then those wanckers Nightline came along and everything changed. Customer service went downhill and now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Lads what ye think my chances are of ever getting my parcel? Came into PM Antrim last Monday 14th at 10 am from Italy with TNT I had been tracking it... I have rang and emailed and rang and emailed PM...Nothing back they have no idea where it's gone to...Spoke to Kyra and Kylie but seems I should be so lucky lucky lucky if it ever appears again...Gutted wasn't even for Christmas it was for my sons 21st on Friday.....Anyone had similar experience with a good outcome

It happened to me, mine was received by parcel motel with just my name and PM
    address without my PM ID. I rang Dublin, and they had it and asked me to confirm my details. It was then forwarded same day. Best bet is to ring PM or email them as there seems to be no one answering their helpline. Hope this helps.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Parcel motel started out with great customer service. They actually used to call me personally if my PM number wasn’t on a parcel they were unsure of. They even threw the odd parcel in with another.
    Then those wanckers Nightline came along and everything changed. Customer service went downhill and now this.

Wasn't PM started by Nightline?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Yup, I think the poster meant UPS

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• whiterebel wrote: »

Must have meant UPS & I agree - Nightline has gone way downhill since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Lads what ye think my chances are of ever getting my parcel? Came into PM Antrim last Monday 14th at 10 am from Italy with TNT I had been tracking it... I have rang and emailed and rang and emailed PM...Nothing back they have no idea where it's gone to...Spoke to Kyra and Kylie but seems I should be so lucky lucky lucky if it ever appears again...Gutted wasn't even for Christmas it was for my sons 21st on Friday.....Anyone had similar experience with a good outcome

It's hardly a snooker cue? There was a mix up with my parcel, I received a snooker cue which they're collecting tomorrow and replacing with my own parcel which they seem to have discovered in the meantime!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rodia77

Christmas spirit

Wouldn't that be raindrops in IE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Thank you so much - Your reply prompted my curiosity again and I checked my account address on the retailer website I used and it was perfect . I checked my PayPal account that I used to pay them and my address there again was perfect with my PM number very visible. Then I managed to get into my TNT proof of delivery document to Antrim online and now see that my PM number was excluded on my address label so that may be a clue to my problem ?
    Thanks so much for your reply ....My mission recommences in the morning :confused:

If you have a parcel that arrives to them without pmid, and you have a tracking number, all you have to do is log into your parcel motel account, click find my parcel, once you enter the tracking details the parcel will be automatically checked into your account, they have a system set up for this. I have to use it often, it mostly happens when some sellers use autofill address based on post code which leaves out the pm id.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

AuldDaysul wrote: »
    Outbound since the 5th, emailed 3 times now no response. I presume I'll have to waste an hour trying to call them to get any answer.

@auldDaysul has yours (or anyone else's) progressed on from "outbound - parcel motel dublin" in past few weeks? Mine hasnt moved since the 8th Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

viperlogic wrote: »
    @auldDaysul has yours (or anyone else's) progressed on from "outbound - parcel motel dublin" in past few weeks? Mine hasnt moved since the 8th Dec

Is this package going to the UK?
    If it is, it has a UPS tracking number and UPS will be the one to deliver them .To answer your question, yes
    it will take time for PM to update. Send them
    an email and ask for a UPS tracking nimber. Hope that helps.

Advertisement