Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

whiterebel wrote: »
    Small claims court is for the service provided, for €4.50 or whatever the charge was. It could have been badly packed, badly labelled or gone out by mistake to a wrong locker or wrong address. You will need to hound PM about it, and complete the find my parcel link. There are probably still thousands of packages still in the warehouse since before Christmas.

The risk of loss is part of the terms and conditions.

If the item really is completely lost their terms and conditions means you are insured up to a value of €100.

For anymore comeback you would have to prove it was a result of theft or gross negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Wineman wrote: »
    Looking for advice here. I shipped an iPhone 11 from UK to Parcel Motel, they emailed me a photo of the box in the Dublin Depot and that was the last I heard from them. After weeks of trying to contact them they eventually replied on 23rd December to say it was missing.

It was my sons christmas present so at that stage it was to late to get a replacement in time.

They said their terms of business state they are only liable up to €100 so I am going to be €500 out of pocket.

MOD-Snip. Don’t make unproven allegations. You don’t know what happened to it. but do I have any leg to stand on in terms of getting them to compensate me?

Learn from mistake and next time buy extended liability. I had a 800 euro phone go missing with them 2 years ago. Same happened it was delivered and picture taken and added to my account and nothing after. I was 700 out of pocket.

You have absolutely nothing to stand on here and their terms are clear in regards to amount covered. You will get no where apart from wasting your own time trying anything. I dont think Gardaí will do anything either in this regard. Not worth their time and too hard to trace due to volume of the parcels.

Second I see you raised a dispute against seller on Paypal. Why do that? The item was clearly delivered to Parcel Motel and was even added to your account with a picture so why blame the seller. You would rather see someone else take the loss instead of you although they are zero fault. Karma always comes back.

Learn from it and take the hit. Next time when ordered expensive item buy extra liability.

The only thing you could do is see if the seller has record of IMEI and could get it blocked by Apple. You wont get the phone back but it will be disabled so cannot be used by someone else so will be useless to them as well.

dan786 wrote: »

Second I see you raised a dispute against seller on Paypal. Why do that? The item was clearly delivered to Parcel Motel and was even added to your account with a picture so why blame the seller. You would rather see someone else take the loss instead of you although they are zero fault. Karma always comes back.

I believe this will work out OK for the seller as they will have a tracking number and proof that it arrived at the address provider by the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The only thing you could do is see if the seller has record of IMEI and could get it blocked by Apple. You wont get the phone back but it will be disabled so cannot be used by someone else so will be useless to them as well.

And check the second hand sites for people selling one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

I always found the insurance for delivery nothing but a scam. You're paying PM to take the delivery. If they lose the parcel they should pay for it.

• Advertisement

Akesh wrote: »
    I always found the insurance for delivery nothing but a scam. You're paying PM to take the delivery. If they lose the parcel they should pay for it.

I agree but the companies are not required to take on this liability under current Irish law.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

harmless wrote: »
    I agree but the companies are not required to take on this liability under current Irish law.

Yep and when you think about it, they have to cap the liability, it couldn't be unlimited.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Akesh wrote: »

That’s exactly what you pay them for. Like almost everyone else they offer a limited liability included in their price. You want full liability cover? Insure it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

That’s exactly what you pay them for. Like almost everyone else they offer a limited liability included in their price. You want full liability cover? Insure it yourself.
    Pretty much this.
    If you want fancy, fully insured, you have to pay. If you want basic and cheap, this is it.
    Think ryanair basic fares

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Any reason why I can't send a parcel to the UK?
    I can put in a UK number but when you click on country, only Ireland is available even though there is a drop down?

What am I missing?

2TTaHU4.png

• Advertisement

Yep and when you think about it, they have to cap the liability, it couldn't be unlimited.

Very true, if you wanted to send a €1k phone or €20k Rolex with their budget parcel motel service you can't expect them to take on that much liability for €4.50

Any reason why I can't send a parcel to the UK?
    I can put in a UK number but when you click on country, only Ireland is available even though there is a drop down?

What am I missing?

2TTaHU4.png

Probably suspended until they see if that service is still viable.
    It will take time for them to figure out how to deal with paying VAT in the UK.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ED E wrote: »
    The argument being its about the footfall and thus purchases made there.

PM sent a few surveys to try and back this up. Honestly I might use the shop next to my two once in 15 packages if that.
    Shop is nearly always closed at the times I (used to) collect my parcels! :pac:

Must have put that in place as I was doing it, a few hours ago the drop down worked but it didn't go through, now, no drop down at all.
    What are you guys using to send stuff back to the UK? I use paypal so the returns are free anyway (well the first 10 or something like that)

Don't see anything on their website regarding not being able to send goods to mainland UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

All shops will cover lost or missing parcels, as will PayPal if you buy through them and the seller proves difficult.

If UPS lose a parcel worth over €100 the shop will refund my money. If Parcel Motel lose a parcel worth over €100 then I'm out of pocket. Can't claim the money back from the seller and I can't claim it back from the courier either.

A cynic would say that their liability is kept purposefully low to force people into paying the extra charges for extended liability.

46 Long wrote: »
    A cynic would say that their liability is kept purposefully low to force people into paying the extra charges for extended liability.

That might be a fair argument but it doesn't change the fact that they are operating within the law of Ireland with the service they currently provide.

If you are unhappy with the terms and conditions then you should use an alternative company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

That might be a fair argument but it doesn't change the fact that they are operating within the law of Ireland with the service they currently provide.

I'm not saying that they are operating outside the law.

All shops will cover lost or missing parcels, as will PayPal if you buy through them and the seller proves difficult.

If UPS lose a parcel worth over €100 the shop will refund my money. If Parcel Motel lose a parcel worth over €100 then I'm out of pocket. Can't claim the money back from the seller and I can't claim it back from the courier either.

Or another way of phrasing it is they offer a delivery service with 100 euro insurance for 4.50.

This is what the website says. You choose. https://parcelmotel.com/extend-liability/

Parcel Motel Protect is an extended liability service from Parcel Motel that automatically protects your parcels to the value of €100 as per our terms and conditions of service. If you are ordering or sending parcels that are worth more than €100 you can avail of three extended liability options for the duration of 14 days.
    Our Parcel Motel Protect options are:
    €500 Cover – for 14 days at a cost of €3.50
    1000 Cover – for 14 days at a cost of €7.00

1500Cover – for 14 days at a cost of €10.50

Or If I insure my car for 3000 euro, I cannot claim 10000 euro.

I'm not saying that they are operating outside the law.

They will continue to operate as they do unless there is a change to the law or if there is sufficient competition.

If this type of service generates enough revenue then there will be plenty of competition.

• Advertisement

They will continue to operate as they do unless there is a change to the law or if there is sufficient competition.

If this type of service generates enough revenue then there will be plenty of competition.

At present, we have NO service. I sure hope it comes back and they find a solution to brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got a notification to pick up a parcel in a locker in afternoon on Christmas Eve. Didn't get a chance to get it. Got an automated email a day or back saying:

"Your Parcel Motel delivery was not collected. Your parcel will be returned to our depot & reprocessed (up to 3 times). Please allow 2 working days for delivery"

Do I have to pay for this to be reprocessed or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Basq wrote: »
    Got a notification to pick up a parcel in a locker in afternoon on Christmas Eve. Didn't get a chance to get it. Got an automated email a day or back saying:

"Your Parcel Motel delivery was not collected. Your parcel will be returned to our depot & reprocessed (up to 3 times). Please allow 2 working days for delivery"

Do I have to pay for this to be reprocessed or what?

Yes, they will charge you fee again

I thank you can arrange a re-delivery paying the same cost again if you log into the parcel motel website.

Yes, they will charge you fee again
    Ah feck it... don't have enough for another stay. Fecked if I'm topping up again given the situation.

The parcel sits in a locker for 48 hours. Then goes back to depot. At this time of year, I am sure there is massive demand for lockers so you really should try to get it out of there as soon as possible.

On saying that. I had a parcel sit in a locker that I sent. It was there 4 days and even though they emailed to say it was accepted and placed in locker, the driver forgot to take it. When I rang them, they got it lifted same day.

Somehow they missed it.

The parcel sits in a locker for 48 hours. Then goes back to depot. At this time of year, I am sure there is massive demand for lockers so you really should try to get it out of there as soon as possible.
    To be honest, I assumed it'd be collected and returned to depot and I could pick it up from there.

It was Christmas Day and St Stephens Day so can't imagine the lockers were too full.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Basq wrote: »
    To be honest, I assumed it'd be collected and returned to depot and I could pick it up from there.

It was Christmas Day and St Stephens Day so can't imagine the lockers were too full.

Assign a card to your account, PM will take whatever is left in your account if anything & the balance from the card. Once complete delete the card from your account.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Ah, thanks for that. Far easier solution!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Shops who ship online will take out........wait for it........Insurance. They claim, and the insurance goes after UPS.

Advertisement