Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Did anyone else notice a service advertisement recently, that a company in Northern Ireland was offering a service - that allowed people down south to send parcels to the NI and they would forward to the Uk for an additional handing fee, for luv nor money I cant find them on google now I spotted there add in recent weeks / last few short months

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sending a package from Ireland to the UK is the same as sending a package from Northern Ireland to the UK, both are in the customs union (for now till Boris throws his toys out of the pram) so the process will be the same. The only thing it may work for is items with batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are some temporary arrangements to allow NI to post to GB under the conditions before Brexit. But if the goods originate in the EU they would not qualify.

dpd are saying that Great Britain has left the United Kingdom. If this is true, it is going to make things simpler. Or more complicated.

Updated October 2021 

Great Britain left the UK on the 1st of Jan, 2021. Declarations are required for all goods coming into or out of the Republic of Ireland to/ from Great Britain. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wandererz

I think they mean Great Britain has left the EU.

The United Kingdom is 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland"

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who uses the abbreviation UKOGBANI?

The internet offers both of those, and my version as well. We are all correct.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/welcome-to-ukogbani/

:) :)

Fear not!

The mixed case option is more forgiving to my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Haven't used them since December last year, probably won't use them again, I'd say their business is doing very poorly since most people wouldn't use them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Are they still even open? Two items sent before xmas haven't shown up there. (Using new address)

• Apparently they are, but saying that I had a parcel just “cancelled” in November for no apparent reason.

No email, no text, nothing. Just “cancelled” and presumably my parcel thrown in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 john.shannon78

Hi all. I've recently signed up to parcel motel but don't really understand the service. They've given me a number and an address which is John Shannon

PM5724729

Unit 5 Mygan Park

Jamestown Road, Dublin 11

D11 A729

Ireland

instead of an address . Is this number the same for everyone? If I order something how do I pay?

Help

John

Post edited by L1011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 john.shannon78

Hi all. I've recently signed up to parcel motel but don't really understand the service. They've given me a number and an address which is John Shannon

PM5724729

Unit 5 Mygan Park

Jamestown Road, Dublin 11

D11 A729

Ireland

instead of an address . Is this number the same for everyone? If I order something how do I pay?

Help

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have a look at the first couple of posts in this thread. Remember this was useful when you could send parcels into it from the UK, via N Ireland. Theydon't do this any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

The number pm5724729 is your unique parcel motel number you must attach it to the address details when ordering online! It's used to identify who the parcel is for so you are billed accordingly, obviously it's an Irish address, once it's delivered there they will put your package in a parcel motel locker location that you have chosen already on your account. You get charged once they received your package, you'll pay by attaching payment details to your Parcel motel account.

Parcel motel used to be used for getting UK packages sent to NI then onto Ireland but they don't do this service so beware it's going to an Irish address and then onto a parcel motel locker in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭uli84

Hi all

the person i dent the package to didn’t collect, now the tracking status say -returned but I haven’t received anything, where is uncollected stuff being returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

I have stupidly ordered some items over the last three months to the old Parcel Motel address in McKinney Road in Antrim. Has anyone else done this? Will they be binned or returned to sender, thanks, Dave.

I doubt anyone has done similar in the last couple of years, so you're probably better off getting onto Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The address is the same for everyone. Yo have to put credit on your account for them to send the items out to your local lockers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Does anyone know of a working number which parcel motel can be contacted on?. Their website still has the 076 number which was withdrawn from service (as were all 076 numbers) last December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Is Parcel Motel gone out of business? Why haven't they sorted something out by now? Surely the "deliver to NI, transport to ROI" model should still work despite everything going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Illegal to offer such a service to avoid vat/duty.

Also they are owned by ups

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭skinnyfries

Can you use it inter-county in Ireland?

Funny how Revenue have managed to create a system that goes against both unionists and nationalists...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

What do you mean?

Brexit caused the issues. Nothing to do with revenue. UK is now outside the EU and you cannot promote an avoidance scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

We can’t blame Eamonn Ryan for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Agreed. I have no problem paying the VAT. I do however have an objection to An Post returning my non-EU packages to sender for spurious reasons ("failed electronic customs clearance" isn't a proper reason). Would be good if Parcel Motel re-invented themselves to facilitate delivery of packages instead of forcing people to resort to couriers or sending detailed instructions to non-EU sellers on how to meet An Post's cryptic standards.

Unionists will argue NI is in the UK and are against customs checks coming from britain and Republicans will argue that NI is Irish territory so goods should not be hindered travelling south of the border - at the moment neither of these are true in the eyes of the government or customs it appears.

Avoiding tax is not illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So because the sender didn't do things right you blame An Post?

Parcel Motel can't bypass custom requirments, neither can An Post.

If the sender hasn't properly declared or completed documents then thats the fault of the sender.

Advertisement