Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An Post seem to have jumped the gun completely on the automated electronic transfer of information from Post offices. It seems they went at least one year, if not 2 years, early and don't seem to have told Australia, the US, Japan, the UK etc. They want a 10 digit TARIC when the normal is 6. There is a big thread on the Online buying/Courier forum. The customer cannot do anything in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That's a kneejerk "computer says no" response which reminds me of An Post's behaviour at the moment.

I am not trying to "bypass customs" - I just want to get my package delivered. I have no objection to paying VAT / customs duties / etc.

Most Australian sellers have stopped shipping to Ireland

Japan Post have a very detailed set of instructions on their website about shipping to Ireland

An Post have returned numerous packages to US and UK. There are plenty threads across the internet complaining about this. When you ring An Post to complain, they blame Revenue / Customs. If you ring Revenue / Customs, they blame An Post. In many instances, you won't get an exact reason for the rejection which means the problem cannot be addressed. How can you fix something if you don't know what's wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Address Pal part of An Post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

www.oohpod.com

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Hopefully, they'll take over the old Parcel Motel locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They can't. Their entire business model relies on you going to NI to collect and bring across the border.

If they bring it across the border they have to facilities customs. This is implausibly difficult and is why Parcel Motel stopped providing that service

Also, Parcel Motel still exists for domestic packages so the lockers are still in use.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Any experience with PM lately? My sent parcel is sitting in the locker since Thursday evening, no movement on tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

So I want to order a cycling jersey (£55) from NI. Postage to NI is £5 to ROI is a shocking £14.50. https://www.dondacycling.com/policies/shipping-policy

Parcel Motel no longer an option, Address pay have €3.50 customs processing fee & €6.50 so €10, cheaper than buying direct. Any other companies that'd be cheaper please?

Ta,

Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll have to pay customs processing with anyone once it goes to a GB address, I don't think any of them could beat the Adressspal price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

I've used oohpod a few times now without issue.

I'm only half an hour away from the the depot though, probably not an option if you live further south.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

came here looking for alternatives. i have 4.50 in credit in parcel motel account - but without a UK virtual address i have no use for their service. I use it whenever i need something from the UK and the Site refuse to ship ouside mainland UK.

It has othing to do with avoiding customs or tax. Address pal wont even send me an email to confirm registration - how likely is the rest of their service to be efficient :/

any OTHER options for UK virtual address?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

You can use it for local postage as well when purchasing from Adverts for example where An Post would cost you 6.80 euro and PM would be 4.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Has the service with PM gotten really poor?

A package was delivered to them a week ago, and there's no sign of it and no response from their support.

are they still active? IMpossible to contact them, and they have my package but haven't delivered.

Would advise anyone else to avoid using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I've asked them a few times to return the balance on my account, given I can't use it for what it was intended, delivering stuff via NI. No response from customer service. Did anyone else get their money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Did you ever get your package? I was under the impression they had closed down but never removed their website. Their Twitter account hasn’t been updated in months either

What is the difference in these services?

Parcel Motel to Address (from 6.50 for smallest size)

and

Address Delivery From just €7.95 per parcel.

Prices – Parcel Motel

Why would PM be closed down? Their service in Ireland is in full swing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Has anyone been able to contact Parcelmotel at all lately????

There email address gets no response and they have my package for over a week and when you ring them they just say to email!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

What service do they offer.? Will they deduct vat and customs from the UK ? I really can't see the point of using them for internal post in the ROI with so many other couriers available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Have you tried to get a parcel delivered by them???

I have 1 that they say they have in their depot for 2 weeks and I cannot get hold of anyone to tell me when it will be delivered!

Using them regularly to send and receive parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

they were pretty responsive when I wrote to them about accessing my account last week (some issues with cookies in my browser). I got a reply from UPS customer service within 24hrs

I have €4 credit left so might use them one last time. But the post above about a package sitting in the depot for 2 weeks doesnt inspire much confidence.

How recently have other people used them?

There's a new service called OHHPod that costs the same and has lockers in the IFSC in Dublin. anybody used them?

I did in the end. Took a long time. Looks like they've wound down all of their customer service. I wouldn't use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

More like EU protectionism. Nothing to do with Brexit. Anyway, taxation is a national competence. It's weird how the Irish Government of Varadkar/Martin have no problem with imposing Parcel import taxes on Irish people yet fight tooth and nail against collecting the Apple Tax which is more equitable and fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone got a phone number for Parcel Motel. A sent package is sitting with them 6 days now and the 'Parcel Finder' thing on their website wont recognise a valid tracking number even though the tracking says its in a van somewhere. Need to contact them to find out whats happening as Ive a buyer badgering me now wondering where their package is.

Also have they generally gone downhill, have never had this before with them just sending a package motel to motel. It used to be done in 48 hours maximum, has this service fallen through the floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

nice one, thanks a million for that.

Their website seems set up to frustrate by not even publishing a phone number. I think this will be the last time I use them as I have a paniced buyer now giving me grief every day. Its a pity becasue they used to be brilliant.

Advertisement