Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 100 Golf Courses Britain and Ireland 2018 Rankings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Cody OHare wrote: »

These rankings have usurped the traditional Golf World ones as the most thorough and best in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Why has Doonbeg jumped 35 places since the last time? Not criticising, just curious. They must have had a lot of work done?

Ally, where do you think Ardfin will fit in these rankings next time around? Looks fantastic from the photos I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Why has Doonbeg jumped 35 places since the last time? Not criticising, just curious. They must have had a lot of work done?

Ally, where do you think Ardfin will fit in these rankings next time around? Looks fantastic from the photos I've seen.

Huge work done at Doonbeg since Trump took it over. The new version of the course opened in mid-2016 but as these are biennial rankings it is the first time the changes have been allowed for.

Interesting question on Ardfin... as this is likely to be a very private course should it even be considered? Then again, I see Renaissance is included (up 12 places to 55, which I find baffling) as is Loch Lomond (at 33). By all accounts, Ardfin is magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

These rankings are so subjective and bar a couple of big moves each year, the rest is relatively stagnant. How often does somewhere break into top 10/20 etc.

Would a better system not be buckets of 10/10, 9/10, 8/10, etc. At least that way a course can try to jump to the next level without needing another to drop.

Just a thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

St Andrews no. 2?
    Seriously?
    Not even in the top 5 in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

nice write ups for Doonbeg, The Island, Portstewart and Portmarnock Links.

3 Irish courses in top 10
    10 in top 50
    20 in top 100

I thought there might be more.

Cody OHare wrote: »
    nice write ups for Doonbeg, The Island, Portstewart and Portmarnock Links.

3 Irish courses in top 10
    10 in top 50
    20 in top 100

I thought there might be more.

That's a pretty good strike rate. In terms of overall variety in quality, England is perhaps the best golfing country in the world. And Scotland is Scotland.

ThunderCat wrote: »

I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Ardfin but I agree with Kevin that it looks spectacular.

Would be slightly wary that the looks trump the golf, particularly because it was built on far from ideal soil. But those I know that have been there sing its praises incredibly highly.

I am going to guess it enters around the 20-25 mark in two year's time.

Ally

Advertisement