Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reci advise

Options
  • 30-11-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Apologies if I posted in the wrong section.
    I'm just looking for advice for my issue.
    Late last year the building contractor electrician wired the entire house, move the ESB, installed all the sockets and light pendants with the exception of the circuits in the kitchen area designated for appliances.
    He just left about 3-4m of cable with a socket at each end on the floor and he refused to install the DP switches on the wall and sockets attached on the wall behind the appliance as we agreed.
    Instead he decided to install sockets inside of the kitchen cupboards, solution that we didn't agree.
    In that moment, the electrical contractor decided not to finish the job and he walked away.
    We ask another electrician to install the DP switches and attach the existing sockets to wall behind the cupboards.
    Now the original contractor is threatening that will not give us the full certificate for the building unless the electrician who installed the switches will provide a certificate for small works.
    I contacted the man who installed the switches and he told me that he can't provide the certificate because he is working for a private company that does not provide service for domestic customers and the job was done as private. Small favour.
    We never think about that will be trouble. On the RECI regulations, these work are under small works and they do not require certification. We used a qualified electrician for piece of mind.

ESB confirmed that an certification has been submitted for the house, also RECI confirmed that the work does not require certification.

Any advice on this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) can provide you with definitive answers on this.

You can email or phone them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 codrutz

2011 wrote: »
    The Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) can provide you with definitive answers on this.

You can email or phone them.

Already contacted them asking for advice and they said to go back to the original contractor and explain the situation.
    And he is still refusing to issue the certificate.
    Most probably is to file a claim against him?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

codrutz wrote: »
    Already contacted them asking for advice and they said to go back to the original contractor and explain the situation.
    And he is still refusing to issue the certificate.
    Most probably is to file a claim against him?

So you are connected to the ESB?
    If so and you are concerned about the safety pay another electrician to come in and test the installation.

The first electrician probably feels that he shouldn’t be certifying work that someone else has made changes to.

So you are connected to the ESB?
    If so and you are concerned about the safety pay another electrician to come in and test the installation.

The first electrician probably feels that he shouldn’t be certifying work that someone else has made changes to.

He already completed and certified the installation once he moved the meter.
    I don't see the point of not providing the certificate.
    I contacted another company to certify the works.

Perhaps he doesn’t want to take ownership of someone else’s work.

• Advertisement

Perhaps he doesn’t want to take ownership of someone else’s work.

But he does not want to test the work and see if is according to regulations.
    I called few electricians and they are happy to test entire house, rectify the problems (if any) and certify the works.
    I don't find it normal that an electrician to ask 15k without sockets, switches and low voltage cables and then walk away from the job because we did not agree his ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 electrichunter

if builders spark rewired house it should be done to todays standard that includes 20 a sw on kitchen wall, i am a spark also , and when he issued cert for reconnection he has to give u a copy . if he has done the installation properly he will have a test record sheet for each circuit as per rules this gives the no of points on each circuit in addition to other tests for same thereby if someone else adds to a circuit he has documents to prove otherwise.
    i would hazard a guess he might have only certified the new cable to the meter cabinet and this is not good enough . let him know its the law to certify everythig he did and provide you with cert,i am a electrical contractor myself and know the game .
    also inform reci that you were not issued a cert and tell them to get the finger out as they charge us enough each year to be registered .he will be in greater bother if they discover he has not wired house to todays standard and dont be fooled with the answer of {its a existing house so does not apply}. i wish you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thecribber

also inform reci that you were not issued a cert and tell them to get the finger out as they charge us enough each year to be registered .

And exactly how much do RECI charge per year to be registered ?
    I understand it's €295 !!! Hardly a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

It is illegal to withhold a cert

thecribber wrote: »
    And exactly how much do RECI charge per year to be registered ?
    I understand it's €295 !!! Hardly a rip off

ok yes 300 sub due . also calibration of meters 120 a pop . insurance of 800 per person . testing courses every 5 years at a cost of 1200 to include loss of earnings and travel accommodation. annual inspection another lost day . cert books and various books required so a annual cost before making a cent of 1800 per year just to stay registered . obviously you see all hidden costs are you self employed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

ok yes 300 sub due . also calibration of meters 120 a pop . insurance of 800 per person . testing courses every 5 years at a cost of 1200 to include loss of earnings and travel accommodation. annual inspection another lost day . cert books and various books required so a annual cost before making a cent of 1800 per year just to stay registered . obviously you see all hidden costs are you self employed .

Yes am self employed. You can hardly blame RECI for the ancillary costs associated with being a registered contractor as these are all CER requrments.
    Also you have exaggerated all ancillary costs.
    Meter calibration €80 -€100 plus vat (vat can be reclaimed)
    Insurance on man band €600
    Qualified Certifiers (QC) course There are 5 providers all charge between €380 and €400 for 2 day course required every five years.
    Cost of Certs should be allowed for in each installation and is therefore covered by customers.

Yes am self employed. You can hardly blame RECI for the ancillary costs associated with being a registered contractor as these are all CER requrments.
    Also you have exaggerated all ancillary costs.
    Meter calibration €80 -€100 plus vat (vat can be reclaimed)
    Insurance on man band €600
    Qualified Certifiers (QC) course There are 5 providers all charge between €380 and €400 for
    2 day course required every five years.
    Cost of Certs should be allowed for in each installation and is therefore covered by customers.

I don't bother with vat register. I work mainly in industry with vat exempt companies . but I will factor loss of time on courses which are a joke doing everything five years it's a money spinner fact . biggest mistake is getting rid of competition as ecssa. reci can do what they want now and push up prices . I had a inspection recently on a industrial site telling me that 230v sockets are not allowed in industry . what a joke I guess they will close every factory down now. I came across a installation this year where a en suite was remodeled and was in a dire state . shower wired of lighting circuit earth's taped as phase conductors in t and e cables and I informed reci and guess what they did . absolutely nothing . a dictatorship is what they are and will have no hesitation in striking you off if meter not in date etc . I hope ecssa get back in sooner the better as at least u can talk to them.
    getting back to costs they dictate what's required thereby are a direct result of the costs . but don't worry they will have lovely pensions at the end and plenty of expenses covered. and we are paying for it . 300 × 6000 == 1.8 million that's just subs . don't know exactly no of contractors .

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

I am pretty sure there are about 4000 contractors. Was the ECSSA subscription cheaper?

I am pretty sure there are about 4000 contractors. Was the ECSSA subscription cheaper?

no not cheaper but on the side of the contractor not out to get them and dictate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thecribber

no not cheaper but on the side of the contractor not out to get them and dictate.

I have been a member of RECI since 2005. I have always found them to be professional and helpful. If something was not correct they will tell you but that's their job. I have never found them out to get me and they have kept me well informed but never dictated to me.
    Could it be that you don't comply with the rules and don't like being told that you have to ?

Advertisement