Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Dumping

Options
  • 30-11-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed a big increase in the amount of illegal dumping going on?
    Black sacks full of rubbish being dumped either on the Outer Ring road and roads just off of it.
    What's the best method of reporting these bags before they are torn open by animals/birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Yeah there seems to be more illegal dumping lately. Maybe the council would be able to advise on what people should do about reporting it so they can gather any possible evidence of the source of this scourge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep, there was rubbish on the Old Tramore Road (inside the ring road) in a field gate and in that more elaborate gate area on the other side of the road in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

mojor wrote: »
    What's the best method of reporting these bags before they are torn open by animals/birds?

Ring the council and tell them. They usually send staff out to clear it up the same day if you ring early in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

You can report via the form on the council website, they are usually pretty good at tidying up.

What I don't understand is why they can't set up hidden cameras for a few weeks and catch and prosecute the filthy b*****ds dumping in the same places over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I always report rubbish and other issues on the Waterford Council Facebook page. They're usually good at getting back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

The R680 and old Kilmeaden Road - heaps of dumpage - no noticeable increase of late however, it's just a constant steady rate for the last few years at least. I too report these instances however I don't recognise the same speed in their collection as other posters - one example was a double mattress that was not collected for 40 days after reporting -

Its happening constantly on Manor street.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

I live on the old Tramore Road and have been numerous occasions I've reported the illegal dumping directly to the councillors themselves. Was told it would be sorted asap but I've had to make follow up calls to get finally sorted. More rubbish again there. Oh and the councillors have told me that their is hidden cameras there (apparently)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Definitely gotten worse last couple years IMO, can't help but think all the stuff spoken on hard left, has had a negative effect, certain parties and politicians were (not so much since water bills died) out saying you shouldn't have to pay for this, that and everything else.this has IMO emboldened some people to do this more, someone else will sort it, complete lack of civic/national pride, complete lack of taking responsibility for oneself, laziness,etc etc.
    Wouldn't be surprised to hear some glib comment about paying for baby food instead of bin charges or some nonsense.in my experience, it ain't empty baby food boxes I see dumped, generally its white goods, beer cans, other general stuff, often on roads that they drove to dump their stuff.
    Answer is probably more enforcement, proving possibly payment for some form of waste payment if suspected, more cctv, naming and shaming, pictures in the paper,etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Max Powers wrote: »
    Definitely gotten worse last couple years IMO, can't help but think all the stuff spoken on hard left, has had a negative effect, certain parties and politicians were (not so much since water bills died) out saying you shouldn't have to pay for this, that and everything else.this has IMO emboldened some people to do this more, someone else will sort it, complete lack of civic/national pride, complete lack of taking responsibility for oneself, laziness,etc etc.
    Wouldn't be surprised to hear some glib comment about paying for baby food instead of bin charges or some nonsense.in my experience, it ain't empty baby food boxes I see dumped, generally its white goods, beer cans, other general stuff, often on roads that they drove to dump their stuff.
    Answer is probably more enforcement, proving possibly payment for some form of waste payment if suspected, more cctv, naming and shaming, pictures in the paper,etc etc

the polluter pays is a flawed idea though, and if we dont rectify it soon, i suspect our illegal dumping issues will increase as more and more opt out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the polluter pays is a flawed idea though, and if we dont rectify it soon, i suspect our illegal dumping issues will increase as more and more opt out

I think its a good idea in the main.

Max Powers wrote:
    I think its a good idea in the main.

It is a good idea, but not fully thought through, or some very important elements have been omitted, either intentionally or unintentionally. 'The polluter' is seen effectively and exclusively as the end user, but this isn't necessarily true or isn't the whole truth. I do believe we need a holistic approach to waste management soon, or I do suspect we 'll have more and more people optting out of this thinking leading to further illegal dumping, and other illegal and environmentally unfriendly methods to dispose of their waste.

It is a good idea, but not fully thought through, or some very important elements have been omitted, either intentionally or unintentionally. 'The polluter' is seen effectively and exclusively as the end user, but this isn't necessarily true or isn't the whole truth. I do believe we need a holistic approach to waste management soon, or I do suspect we 'll have more and more people optting out of this thinking leading to further illegal dumping, and other illegal and environmentally unfriendly methods to dispose of their waste.

Talking about illegal dumping, did anyone see the state of the road leading up to the halting site on the new road as you are coming up to ardkeen?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Was coming in the Kilmeaden road earlier and on one of the approach signs before that pub (can't think of the name) next to IDA and lot of black bags sitting by the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I think the best thing we could do is scrap all of this recycling nonsense. Go back to one weekly collection per week. Forget about black, green and brown bins and burn the rubbish in an incinerator.

If we do it that way, it would be more friendly to the environment, better for human health, save money and resources, and generate energy via burning.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I think the best thing we could do is scrap all of this recycling nonsense. Go back to one weekly collection per week. Forget about black, green and brown bins and burn the rubbish in an incinerator.

If we do it that way, it would be more friendly to the environment, better for human health, save money and resources, and generate energy via burning.

even though i can understand your statement, i think there has been a lot of good work done by changing the way we deal with our waste compared to the past, and id disagree about returning to the old weekly all in system. the segregation system has forced us all to think about our waste issues and to act differently, leading to positive action and change. unfortunately i do think the negative elements of privatisation of such critical services is now having negative effects overall, leading to the increase of illegal methods of dealing with waste including burning and dumping etc.

id completely agree with english economist kate raworth, that we should be developing methods of production that create 100% recycle-ability of all materials required, by returning to the old all in system, there would be no incentive to try create this 100% system. we cannot keep pummeling the planet apart to try create the materials we need, as most, if not all, are in fact finite in supply.

id largely disagree with your final statement, as explained above, there would be no incentive for us all to reuse our materials and create alternative uses for our biodegradable materials. but i will agree with the installation of incinerators, i do believe theyre a far better way of dealing with materials that have come to the end of their useful life, and as you said, we can benefit from power creation from this method as well. certain materials are problematic for incinerators though, particularly biodegradable materials, as they tend to have large amounts of water and other liquids, yielding poor power outputs compared to combustibles. an anaerobic digester is probably one of the best ways to deal with biodegradable materials, and should be used along side incinerators to create power, obviously some biodegradable materials have other uses to, as we ve been finding out since the introduction of segregation system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AbbotSinical

A small plot of land beside the Tesco Ballybeg roundabout is being used to store metal and other scrap. Across the road the old farm yard has also been taken over by someone accumulating scrap. The council and anyone who uses this road are fully aware of this situation.

Businesses (especially mechanics or engineering) in most of the business parks experience unlicenced scrap collectors looking for batteries etc. After business hours there are vans circling business parks going through bins. That wouldn't be an issue except they throw rubbish on the ground while searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have spoken about this at length on other threads but i have a few key ideas that would really lessen this growing problem.

1. All rented accomodation should have a requirement in law to have a waste collection service included as part of the rent.

2. To follow on from point 1 . All local authority homes and homes rented under various schemes must have waste collection included as part of the rent.

3. A database should be setup to be shared by all waste companies and accessible by local government listing all properties in the area and who the waste collection is with. If they dont have any then a call from a litter warden or similar to explain how they are disposing of waste.

The 3 things above along with a big push in schools etc to bring sweet wrappers, bottles etc home with you and not dump them on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I have spoken about this at length on other threads but i have a few key ideas that would really lessen this growing problem.

1. All rented accomodation should have a requirement in law to have a waste collection service included as part of the rent.

2. To follow on from point 1 . All local authority homes and homes rented under various schemes must have waste collection included as part of the rent.

3. A database should be setup to be shared by all waste companies and accessible by local government listing all properties in the area and who the waste collection is with. If they dont have any then a call from a litter warden or similar to explain how they are disposing of waste.

The 3 things above along with a big push in schools etc to bring sweet wrappers, bottles etc home with you and not dump them on the street.

Councils are starting this work on who disposes of who's waste. However your first point on rented accommodation, why would there be an emphasis on rental accommodation and not owner occupied for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Councils are starting this work on who disposes of who's waste. However your first point on rented accommodation, why would there be an emphasis on rental accommodation and not owner occupied for example?

Owner occupiers would be examined under point 3.

I would feel there are bed eggs in all groups but as some renters feel they are only transient they might not care about the area, owner occupiers are a bit more likely to care about upkeep in their area . Bit of a generalisation but it holds true in some areas in my city where there are more renters and council houses nearby

• Advertisement

Yep, there was rubbish on the Old Tramore Road (inside the ring road) in a field gate and in that more elaborate gate area on the other side of the road in the last week.

and again. It's a bit of a hot spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Its happening constantly on Manor street.

No prizes for guessing who's at that!
    Saw it in Dublin every morning although household rubbish was forced in to the bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

No excuse for illegal dumping or burning rubbish
    ,More than half of household waste can be recycled,
    Theres a centre in newrath only 5e for a car load
    Its easy to keep plastics and paper seperate, glass and cans go down the glen recycling bins on way there
    That leaves a black bin once every 5-6 week's with kolllect only 13e
    But people/dirtbirds are lazy prefer to burn ****e pollute the air with toxic carcinogens or leave their dirt in Public places...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭1moo345

Living just off Slievkeale Road and there has been five times that someone has dumped rubbish outside our house.

Not regular rubbish either, but large bin bags full.

Today I came home to two of them. I report to the council and usually bin it or the other residents bin it, but to be honest it takes up most of the bin and it's expensive enough for our own waste without taking on someone elses.

Aside from reporting what can be done??? Probably nothing, but it's disgraceful.

Just seen the Corpo lads clearing up on the Old Tramore road gateway just inside the ORR. Well done lads and will the ignorant fecker who keeps dumping black bags there please stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Just seen the Corpo lads clearing up on the Old Tramore road gateway just inside the ORR. Well done lads and will the ignorant fecker who keeps dumping black bags there please stop.

I saw the mess there this morning. Its a relief to hear the Council are cleaning it up but they absolutely shouldn't have to be doing it constantly on that stretch of road.

I would love to see a law brought in that anyone dumping illegally from a vehicle has that vehicle seized and sold to pay for the clean ups. Fines are never going to make any difference to people who don't pay them anyway.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I saw the mess there this morning. Its a relief to hear the Council are cleaning it up but they absolutely shouldn't have to be doing it constantly on that stretch of road.

I would love to see a law brought in that anyone dumping illegally from a vehicle has that vehicle seized and sold to pay for the clean ups. Fines are never going to make any difference to people who don't pay them anyway.

i suspect seizing vehicles wouldnt stop them either

As far as I'm aware if people are caught and pay the fines to the council their details can not be made public and the fines are low. Only if taken to court for non-payment are they then identified.

It's even worse when it's bags of cans, bottles etc. which can be recycled at supermarkets.

A rubbish bag and as much recycling as you want is €4 at kilbarry. A full car of recyclables is less than a fiver at Greenstar. No excuses.

They should have their picture published next to the mess they made in the local papers. Or made to clean it up.

As far as I'm aware if people are caught and pay the fines to the council their details can not be made public and the fines are low. Only if taken to court for non-payment are they then identified.

It's even worse when it's bags of cans, bottles etc. which can be recycled at supermarkets.

A rubbish bag and as much recycling as you want is €4 at kilbarry. A full car of recyclables is less than a fiver at Greenstar. No excuses.

They should have their picture published next to the mess they made in the local papers. Or made to clean it up.

does naming and shaming actually work in reality?

• Advertisement

does naming and shaming actually work in reality?

Well the current enforcement regime is scarcely a deterrent is it.

Advertisement