Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Dumping

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Well the current enforcement regime is scarcely a deterrent is it.

i cant see naming and shaming working, i suspect people who behave like this truly dont give a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

the council litter wardens know who these people are, but because of who some of them are, they are afraid to prosecute because of fear of reprisals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As far as I'm aware if people are caught and pay the fines to the council their details can not be made public and the fines are low. Only if taken to court for non-payment are they then identified.

It's even worse when it's bags of cans, bottles etc. which can be recycled at supermarkets.

A rubbish bag and as much recycling as you want is €4 at kilbarry. A full car of recyclables is less than a fiver at Greenstar. No excuses.

They should have their picture published next to the mess they made in the local papers. Or made to clean it up.

This is what annoys me, it's premeditated, it's never sorted, just all dumped into a shopping bag with nappies etc until the next time they are driving up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

I've noticed a big reduction in the amount of roadside "illegal" dumping in the last month or two. You could be guaranteed 1 or 2 black sacks being dumped in a particular area of the old Tramore road every week. That's now stopped. I'm presuming the perpetrators have moved on to pastures new for the summer.
    Wondering if others have seen the same reductions in particular areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Unfortunately,I feel dumping has gotten worse in my experience, often see bags in more open locations on my run or in car. I also think litter in the city centre has gotten worse too, bins overflowing (resources issue probably) but in general more random litter. Maybe with recent weather more people in city centre leaving cans/bottles/coffee cups around, hard to tell.I did think it was maybe because lot of building works on street but that has largely finished now. For what it's worth I do tend to pick up a empty bottle or whatever and put it in bin or bring it home when in town, at beach, whatever. End of day, Irish public are disgraceful when it comes to civic pride, taking responsibility for own waste etc. Suppose must be recognised that city was and has been a very high level litter free but would hate to see it slip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement