Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU for my desktop "build"

Options
  • 30-11-2017 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i recently bought a pc to run mainly as a plex server, but with recent steam sales im considering putting a gpu into it to play a few games. At the minute my steam libary isnt very demanding. The latest game is Life is Strange which runs on my laptops onboard Intel 4000 graphics just fine. But watching a lot of youtube videos the this gen of i5 seems to be able to game a little harder so i wouldnt mind giving it a try.

Current spec is a
    -Dell Optiplex 3010
    -3rd Gen i5 3470 3.2Ghz
    -8Gb RAM

Power supply is stock which seems to be fine for some cards but ive no issue upgrading that too if im going to see a big increase from the GPU

Im currently looking at the GTX 1050 ti 4Gb variant but before i buy , would there be any other cards worth considering. I mainly game on my Playstation so this will be just for a bit of fun.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Which model 3010? Mini Tower, Desktop or SFF? check here in user's manual
    • 1050 Ti is best card you can get for Desktop/SFF, however you would be exceeding the PSU limit with 1050 Ti (or even 1050).
      AFAIK a SFX power supply would fit though (e.g. cheapo Kolink 350W+ should fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    • Which model 3010? Mini Tower, Desktop or SFF? check here in user's manual
    • 1050 Ti is best card you can get for Desktop/SFF, however you would be exceeding the PSU limit with 1050 Ti (or even 1050).
      AFAIK a SFX power supply would fit though (e.g. cheapo Kolink 350W+ should fit.

Cheers i totally forgot to add the form factor, it is the 3010 MT so full size tower, other than the quick release bracket i shouldnt run into space issues....hopefully

Would 2nd hand be an option worth looking at for a card?

2nd hand only option really is the GTX 960 and they're all overpriced on the markets.
    AMD cards are more power-hungry... and have all been bought by miners.

Measure the current PSU so we can see if it's a standard size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2nd hand only viable option is the GTX750Ti as all better 'older' cards would require a PSU upgrade. It sits in between the GT1030 and GTX1050 performance wise.

A GTX1050 2GB or GTX1050Ti 4GB will work fine with your current PSU. Depending on what games you want to play even a GT1030 for €80 would suffice and is heaps better than the HD4000.

The i5 you have is pretty good so pretty much anything you want to play, the GPU would be the deciding factor, not your CPU.

2nd hand only viable option is the GTX750Ti as all better 'older' cards would require a PSU upgrade. It sits in between the GT1030 and GTX1050 performance wise.

A GTX1050 2GB or GTX1050Ti 4GB will work fine with your current PSU. Depending on what games you want to play even a GT1030 for €80 would suffice and is heaps better than the HD4000.

The i5 you have is pretty good so pretty much anything you want to play, the GPU would be the deciding factor, not your CPU.

Every PSU Calculator I checked that machine with puts the load wattage around 258-265W (i.e. 97-100% PSU limit)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't really see how that would be possible. GTX1050Ti's a 75w card and the 3470 won't consume more than that either really. Consumption of the motherboard/other bits is almost negligible. I would say under heavy load that machine would pull about 200w at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I don't really see how that would be possible. GTX1050Ti's a 75w card and the 3470 won't consume more than that either really. Consumption of the motherboard/other bits is almost negligible. I would say under heavy load that machine would pull about 200w at most.

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry im slow to get back. Yeah ive seen plenty of the dell optiplexs running 1050Ti with no power issues, even seen a few tested for power usage and they tend to be well under the max load.

I double checked and my PSU is the 275W

Im looking at the 4Gb version of the 1050TI and so far ive only checked Overclockers out of the ones in stock this is what ive found, is there any reason to go for one over the other? Or am i best to try another supplier?

Zotac 1050TI 4Gb
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050ti-mini-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-109-zt.html

Palit 1050TI 4Gb
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/palit-geforce-gtx-1050ti-stormx-4096mb-pci-express-gddr5-graphics-card-gx-03t-pl.html

Advertisement