Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leasing a bar.

Options
  • 30-11-2017 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks.
    Please excuse tho ignorance as I am new to this.
    Myself and a friend are at the early stages of putting together a plan of leasing a bar.

Just a couple of quick questions.

Would it be possible to rent a bar without track record of leasing.

What would insurance cost?

Hopefully any likeminded individuals can use this thread to discuss and share ideas and flaws.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

One word: Don't.

Bars are not profitable unless you are serving food and have massive footfall.

This post and thread is worth reading: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102860909&postcount=43

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

ironclaw wrote: »

I'd disagree with that as a general statement.

Running a good bar is a skill just that same as running any other business. You can find some businesses in "quiet traffic" areas that do well, but they are few and far between.

Similarly you can find some bars in strange locations that do well (My rural local is an example) but it requires a lot of work and netwoking to ensure you get the chistenings, funerals, 21st's and every possible fundraiser in the locality.

But if you are a first time lessee without the long term experience and business acumen to go with it - then leasing a bar will be commercial suicide.

If you like the business try managing a bar and enjoy a decent wage without the stress of ownership. More experience will see better managment opportunities in bigger bars - some of the top bar managers in Dublin are on six figure salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

This post and thread is worth reading: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102860909&postcount=43

What a crazy statement! Sometimes doing food can have an opposite affect as margins on food are lowing and putting out good quality food takes more legwork then putting out good quality drinks. However having a mix of both is generally a good idea. Unless your running a nightclub or a cocktail bar were the food offering can be minimal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

CeilingFly wrote: »

Similarly you can find some bars in strange locations that do well (My rural local is an example) but it requires a lot of work and netwoking to ensure you get the chistenings, funerals, 21st's and every possible fundraiser in the locality.

So, like I said, footfall? Haven't been any such event in a while which didn't serve some form of food at the venue, catered or otherwise.

What a crazy statement! Sometimes doing food can have an opposite affect as margins on food are lowing and putting out good quality food takes more legwork then putting out good quality drinks. However having a mix of both is generally a good idea. Unless your running a nightclub or a cocktail bar were the food offering can be minimal

Care to present a case study of somewhere outside of an urban centre that is doing well just serving drinks?

My statement, while a broad brush, is backed up with a family history in the trade and extended family albeit in rural areas. Obviously having a bar smack in the center of Dublin or Galway is an entirely different entreprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

So, like I said, footfall? Haven't been any such event in a while which didn't serve some form of food at the venue, catered or otherwise.

Care to present a case study of somewhere outside of an urban centre that is doing well just serving drinks?

In many rural areas the pub will get the local Centra / Spar to provide the food - basic finger food is acceptable in these areas for the events.

As for footfall - my nearest pub is not even in a village. Serves no food (sambos and soup for funerals) but has good quizzes, music nights and cards nights. Very little passing traffic, yet will be busy from Fri to Sunday.

Another pub about 15 miles from me is conlons of booleigh - again no food, no village, yet will be busy every weekend.

Both above examples work hard to be the centre of the community. Hence why running a successful rural pub requires a varied skillset and not just the ability to pull a pint.

I certainly would advise the op against it though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement