Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing MIDI samples live

Options
  • 30-11-2017 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello, I'm looking for a bit of advice. My band were recently in the studio and the keyboard player used her microkorg as a midi controller to play lead synths and pads which ended up sounding great. What's the best way to replicate the same sound live? Can we use a sampler with the microkorg as a controller to do this? Also, how do we sample the sounds we used?

We'd prefer not to use a laptop live too.

Probably a dead basic question but I'm new to midi/sampling and I'm only getting more confused the more I read...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Can't really suggest anything unless more details are given. So just writing some info.

If it is about simple playback of recording(s), like a drum machine or DJ insert (playback ready-made lead synth as a sample), DJ style sampler is good and easy. Get anything like AKAI MPX8/16 or KORG VOLCA-SAMPLE/BEATS.

If you need complex control in real-time, such as using like a synthesizer to dose various controls + key during the performance, get one like Roland FA-08. But such sampler costs more.

The method to send sound from PC to sampler varies, so refer to the manual or ask somewhere (like here) or the manufacturer support after purchasing one.

If you need the same sound as in the studio plus need live performance ability, the best is to bring the same gears onto the live space. Especially in case the sound comes from DAW using fairly complex setting, bring in a PC in the same configuration (or the PC) is the only way.

If on-stage visual of Laptop is the issue, how about using the laptop in close-lid mode? It keeps running even the lid is closed, so you can hide it somewhere or situate it out of the stage. You'll connect on-stage Microkorg via MIDI or USB or whatever to the PC, then plug the output of the PC to a PA DI box provided by the engineer. The downside is that the performer won't have an instant fix/access of the PC in case of technical hiccup. Rehearsal/testing is required.

Enabling the close-lid mode varies depending on the machine. Use Google with words like below links.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=macbook-pro+2015+lid+closed
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=lenovo+thinkpad+e560+lid+closed

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PC08

Hi, thanks for that. We'd like live control over the sound, not just triggering samples. I thought we'd be able to get a sampler and load samples of the lead sounds and pads we used and play them live using the microkorg as a controller, to play them in real time. I guess it's not as straightforward as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Yup, it is not so straight forward unless the playback sound is a percussive one like drums. There are samplers that can be controlled like an instrument but likely be expensive and complex as I wrote.

If you are going on with a sampler, lead/pad should be recorded for a fair length into a sampler. Don't forget to apply all the necessary effects. Then configured as to divide the sound in to 3 sections, attack, sustain and decay.

Attack is the part when beginning of the lead/pad sound and it will be played back when key is pressed. Sustain part loops during the key is held down, then decay part sounds when the key is released. (I hope you can imagine what is going on..)

If I were you I just bring down the setting already using, but anyway I hope everything goes all right. Good luck with the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PC08

Cheers for that. No gigs yet, but want to be able to replicate what we did in the studio live before we hit the stage. Synths and midi are something we're a bit new to. It's starting to make a but more sense anyway. I've been working my way through this sound on sound series. I'm nearly up to the 1980's! :D

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/lost-art-sampling-part-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

the keyboard player used her microkorg as a midi controller to play lead synths and pads

I think you need to elaborate on this.

She used the korg as a midi controller to play what? From where?

• Advertisement
Advertisement