Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thailand for 3 weeks

Options
  • 30-11-2017 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

Myself and the boyfriend (couple in late 20s) are going to Thailand for 3 weeks in February. Can't wait! We've been to Asia before but not Thailand. We are flying in and out of Bangkok but we haven't decided what to do in between yet. We will be booking everything ourselves on Booking.com etc so need to start figuring out where to go.

We like treks (mountains, waterfalls etc), food, history and beaches. We like going out for a few drinks but wouldn't be huge into partying (anymore!). We wouldn't be into resort type places.

We want to go to the Chiang Mai area for a few days anyway. How long do you think we should go here for? We are thinking a week maybe.

How long do you think we should stay in Bangkok for? Getting mixed reviews. Some people seem to be saying get out of there straight away..and then other people love it.

Which island(s)? We want somewhere that is not too touristy but not completely dead with nothing to do either. Was thinking Ko Lanta maybe? Is Phuket worth going to?

Our budget is mid-range. We don't want to stay in luxury hotels but don't want to stay in hostels either. It's also high season so everywhere is probably more expensive than usual.

Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Chiang Mai is brill....I loved it, we went to Thailand twice and spent a good bit of time up there. Mostly for the shopping. You can do mountain treks and I done a mountain bike ride the last time I was there. First time we done the over night train up, if doing that rent a cabin and bring beers, lots of beer. Second time we just flew up.....

Bangkok, personally spend as little time as possible but then again it is your first time so it might be worth spending a day or 2 and looking around. Friend of mine over there at the moment and just spending the week in Bangkok.

First time we went to Phi Phi, Railay Beech and Phuket.We went from Chaing Mai to Phuket, spent a good few days(loved it), then ferry out to Phi Phi, it was such a chilled out place...

Then up to Railay which was a real unknown at that stage as most people didnt go up there. When we went, they brought you so far and then just dropped you off in sea and you walked rest of way into beech....same on way out.....that was circa 2008

Last time was 5 years ago, we went Chaing Mai and then down Ko Samui etc. Done full moon etc, but really that was the more popular destinations and I didn't enjoy it as much, we done the diving and got certified, if going down it is something to think about seriously.....it is also a good laugh on the island

Advertisement