Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old dishwasher broken

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

L1011 wrote: »
    You don't understand the word "etc". Accusing posters of vested interests is not allowed.

I do not have any vested interest in this. Any further accusations (against any poster) will result in moderation action, as there has been multiple warnings.

Brilliant, we all know what this means.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,022 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bill66 wrote: »
    Brilliant, we all know what this means.

Yes, that you've broken forum rules.

Anything further and its time off.

I work in the transport industry, by the way. Your speculation is as far off the mark as your advice has been.

If this was a fault within the first yr I'd agree but this is over 2 yrs old.
    Loads of variable questions come into play- has the dishwasher been used according to instructions? Has it been maintained? Is it cleaned regularly? Is there hard/soft water in the area? Does the op use the recommended detergent or a lesser quality cheap brand?
    I could go on
    My thinking would be a call out fee would be reasonable after 26 months
    What is the warranty on the machine? Are parts covered I wonder?

All very reasonable, but I would expect at least 3 years out of a dishwasher. The warranty length does not really affect your right to reasonable use of the machine.

If this was a fault within the first yr I'd agree but this is over 2 yrs old.
    Loads of variable questions come into play- has the dishwasher been used according to instructions? Has it been maintained? Is it cleaned regularly? Is there hard/soft water in the area? Does the op use the recommended detergent or a lesser quality cheap brand?
    I could go on
    My thinking would be a call out fee would be reasonable after 26 months
    What is the warranty on the machine? Are parts covered I wonder?

I'd agree with this

If a callout finds that the pump is in fact seized up due to a manufacturing issue (hard water and not using salt wouldn't count) there is definitely a basis to make a claim

I'd suggest that the OP looks on youtube for instructional videos for that or similar models to check for where the sensors/pump housing are and how to check for food waste there before doing anything else; then get either the official callout or a local appliance repairman (which may be cheaper, but not much) out.

Yes, that you've broken forum rules.

Anything further and its time off.

I work in the transport industry, by the way. Your speculation is as far off the mark as your advice has been.

Again, I have not speculated as to where you work and don't care. You are just looking for an excuse because your argument does not stand up to any scrutiny.

• Advertisement

Again, I have not speculated as to where you work and don't care. You are just looking for an excuse because your argument does not stand up to any scrutiny.

You made repeated accusations of me having vested interests, which you have been told is something you cannot do.

Do not post in this thread again - your contributions are not of even vaguely acceptable quality and you are ignoring and arguing with boards.ie wide rules. You are giving useless "advice" which will not help the OP. This is an instruction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Wow, I've opened some can of worms here, better rinse it before I wash it!

Ok, I will go down the route of service engineer and see what comes of that. If it's a case of food blocking something due to not rinsing etc I'll suck it up (like the drain pump) if not I can dig my heels in. I make sure to keep plates clear before putting them in as best I can so I doubt it is an issue like that.

Took out the filters and washed them and they weren't particularly blocked. One thing I did find were one of two removable rubber bungs that hold the cutlrey basket in place. Awful design as they used to be blasted off during the wash cycle and I have no idea where the other is gone! May be the culprit..

If that is blocking the drain pump, that is a design fault undeniably. But you need to see what's there.

The final outflow pump housing on my dishwasher (Bosch) is transparent so you can see any blockages but it is only visible by taking the side off. The first pump is accessible under the filter at the bottom by removing one screw and on two occasions (in 5+ years) I've had it blocked by a pea that was able to escape the filter size but was hard enough to block.

Do not lodge an SCC claim without further evidence of what's wrong - or else you'll be down €25 when the case is rejected and no dishwasher til probably February.

If that is blocking the drain pump, that is a design fault undeniably. But you need to see what's there.

The final outflow pump housing on my dishwasher (Bosch) is transparent so you can see any blockages but it is only visible by taking the side off. The first pump is accessible under the filter at the bottom by removing one screw and on two occasions (in 5+ years) I've had it blocked by a pea that was able to escape the filter size but was hard enough to block.

Do not lodge an SCC claim without further evidence of what's wrong - or else you'll be down €25 when the case is rejected and no dishwasher til probably February.[/QUOTE

This is bad advice, this idiot hasn't a clue. he clearly has a vested interest.

Do not lodge an SCC claim without further evidence of what's wrong - or else you'll be down €25 when the case is rejected and no dishwasher til probably February.

This is bad advice, this idiot hasn't a clue. he clearly has a vested interest.

Ignored mod instruction, personal insults, accusations of vested interests. 3 days.

It would be better for the forum if you didn't come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

Ignored mod instruction, personal insults, accusations of vested interests. 3 days.

It would be better for the forum if you didn't come back.

It makes me wonder why anyone bothers with Boards anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

It makes me wonder why eejits who have been repeatedly warned cannot take the hint.

OP got good advice on this thread, but unfortunately had to wade through veiled personal insults to get it. Just because you don't agree with someone is not reason to insult and make unsubstantiated accusations against them. That kind of trump like behaviour has it place, but to my relief it is not on boards.ie.

and before you ask i have no affiliation with boards, the moderators, and i've never even gone to one of the meet ups!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

rock22 & Xterminator - please do not comment further on moderation etc. let’s stick to offering advice to the OP.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 65,475 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

L1011 has given excellent advice here. My own old Bosch dishwasher had the same issue (wouldn't pump out the dirty water). I was about to suck it up and buy a new one, when I had a look on youtube and found a guy examining his impeller on his newish Bosch dishwasher. Unbelievably the part and the housing were exactly the same as on my old one. So I opened it up to find two cloves in there (from someone having made an Irish coffee and not emptying the glass properly)

Removed them and the machine worked fine again. Still working grand, and it's 16 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Update, service engineer came out for a €75 call out fee. A sensor had gone and it was €30 for replacement. All in €105 and it is fine again. I asked the engineer was it a common fault and he said it was just one of things that can happen and it was bad luck.

Don't know do I have the will to chase zanussi on this..

And Unkel... who is putting cloves in an Irish coffee!!!!!??????

Advertisement