Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to old printer using ethernet cable

Options
  • 30-11-2017 10:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bought an old HP 8000n. Its so old it doesn't even have a USB port.

Connected it to both my router and laptop using ethernet cable and neither can connect to it or pick it up.

The printers ip address is written on it and I had no joy pinging the ip.

Is it just that the ethernet card in the printer is broken or is there something simple im missing out on.

Like because the printer is so old that I need a special Ethernet driver or something?

There is a parallel port on the printer but its a mini size and my computer doesn't have a corresponding port, id have to buy a usb->parallel cable.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Can you still get ink/drivers for a modern OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Is it getting an address from your router or is it a static address that has been previously applied to the printer ?
    Go through the printer menu and enable dhcp under network settings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Yes I have toner for it and the drivers are available from HP website

Big Lar wrote: »
    Is it getting an address from your router or is it a static address that has been previously applied to the printer ?
    Go through the printer menu and enable dhcp under network settings.

No its not even showing up on list of attached devices on router.

Not sure if you can enable dhcp on printer menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Print out a configuration page.
    This will tell you the IP Address and if DHCP is enabled
    What OS on your laptop?

• Advertisement

Config IP address on HP network printer

Config IP address on HP network printer
    HP LaserJet 4000, 4050, 4100, 4500, 4550, 5Si, 5SiMX, 5000, 5100, 8500, 8550, 8000, 8150 printers, HP 2500c Professional series, HP Business Inkjet 2200, 2250, and 2600 printers
    To configure TCP/IP parameters from the control panel, use the following instructions:
    Press the MENU button until HP MIO 1 (or 2), or HP EIO 1 (or 2) appears.
    Press the ITEM button until CFG NETWORK = NO appears.
    Press the PLUS or VALUE button until CFG NETWORK = YES appears.
    NOTE: The CFG NETWORK = XXX (XXX being YES or NO) is a toggle, not a permanent setting. Changing it to YES allows the settings to be changed at that time. It will appear as CFG NETWORK = NO each time this menu is accessed.
    Press SELECT or RESUME.
    Press ITEM repeatedly until CFG TCP/IP = NO appears.
    Press the PLUS or VALUE button until CFG TCP/IP = YES appears.
    NOTE: The CFG TCP/IP = XXX (XXX being YES or NO) is a toggle, not a permanent setting. Changing it to YES allows the settings to be changed at that time. It will appear as CFG TCP/IP = NO each time this menu is accessed.
    Press SELECT or RESUME.
    Press the ITEM repeatedly until BOOTP = YES* appears.
    Press the PLUS or VALUE button until BOOTP = NO appears.
    NOTE: When using BootP or DHCP, keep the setting BOOTP = YES *. The BootP or DHCP server will configure the TCP/IP parameters on the HP Jetdirect. No other TCP/IP configuring is necessary.
    Press SELECT or RESUME.
    The following two steps apply to the HP Jetdirect 610n cards only:
    DHCP=YES appears.
    Press the PLUS or VALUE button until DHCP = NO appears.
    NOTE: When using DHCP, keep the setting DHCP = YES *. The DHCP server will configure the TCP/IP parameters on the HP Jetdirect. No other TCP/IP configuring is necessary.
    Press SELECT or RESUME.
    Press ITEM until IP BYTE 1 = (value*) appears.
    Press the PLUS or VALUE button, until the desired value of the first byte of the IP address appears. By pressing and holding the PLUS or VALUE button, the value will scroll rapidly (HP LaserJet 4000, 5000, and 8000 printers have a MINUS button to decrease the value).
    Press SELECT or RESUME to save the value.
    Press ITEM to continue. Repeat Steps 11-13 to configure the remaining bytes of the IP address.
    Repeat Steps 11-13 to configure the subnet mask bytes (SM BYTE 1=), syslog server IP address (LG BYTE 1=), default gateway (GW BYTE 1=), and timeout (TIMEOUT=).
    Press ONLINE, GO or MENU. Print a self-test page to verify the IP settings.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Print out a configuration page.
    This will tell you the IP Address and if DHCP is enabled
    What OS on your laptop?

Windows 10

thanks for menu post, ill try it

No my menu only goes as far as cfg network =yes*

There is no option for tcpip or bootp or dhcp.

I printed out test page and it gave me the ip of printer. pinged it with no joy.

I also did a cold reset, now that ip is gone from the test page.

Is this a known good cable
    What light at the network port? Continuous green?

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Is this a known good cable
    What light at the network port? Continuous green?

Yes its a known working cable.

Continuous green light at network port

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

look this might seem obvious but if you cant ping the printer, you cant print to it.

you need to setup the printer with a static ip address; then create the printer on your laptop/computer using a tcp/ip port to print to it.

normally if you allow the printer to get an ip address over dhcp, you can use the browser on your pc to set the static ip address on the printer, ( or the lcd panel) preferably not one in the dhcp pool of your home broadband router.

step one you need to establish the printers ip address (current). - print a config page - if no ip address restart printer, check cabling, and try another cable/and or network port to rule out iusses there.

step 2,( either use the LCD method above to set a static IP) or, my preference is to use the browser on your laptop - (you must be on the same network and able to ping 1st) to setup the printer config. Its more intuitive. for the static ip, use a very high number if you do not know your dhcp scope range. eg x.x.x.239 as its less likely to be doled out in a home or small office environment.

step 3, once you can ping the printer on the static ip, install the printer on your laptop with a tcp/ip port set to the static ip address.

and you should be printing away. if your not very techie, get someone who is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Plug Network Cable from Printer to Router

You mention: "There is no option for tcpip or bootp or dhcp."

It can be tricky to access sub menus. When you change an option from No to Yes further options should open up. Make sure you are committing the changes as you make them.It might be a case of pressing the Green Arrow button and then going back into the menu that was not there beforehand.

Go into the Printer Menu and go to
    EIO Menu
    (If you cannot find it look under Configuration Menu or I/O Menu)
    CFG Network=Yes
    TCP/IP=ON
    Once you have TCP/IP On you should get the next option
    Cfg TCP/IP=YES
    Once you say Yes to above you get the TCP/IP Menu
    Change BOOTP=YES

Restart the Printer
    The Printer should get an IP Address from the Router.

Presuming the Router has Wireless you should now be able to add the printer to the laptop if your Laptop has your Home Wireless defined as your HOME.

If it does not work do a Factory Reset on the Printer and go through the steps again.

If that does not work print a Config Sheet on the Printer that shows Network IP Address.
    Make sure laptop is using IPv4
    To check - Press start on Windows
    Type: cmd (Hit Enter)
    Type: ipconfig
    Make sure the first 3 octates of the IP Address is the same as the printer. e.g. Laptop is 10.0.0.5 and Printer is 10.0.0.9

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Turner wrote: »
    No my menu only goes as far as cfg network =yes*

There is no option for tcpip or bootp or dhcp.

I printed out test page and it gave me the ip of printer. pinged it with no joy.

I also did a cold reset, now that ip is gone from the test page.
    You wont be able to pint it if your PC is on a different subnet to the printer. If you can get it displaying an IP again change your PC IP temporarily to something in the same subnet and try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP have you tried using the old HP JetDirect software? iirc it can detect your printer even if it has no IP address.

The problem is the last time I used it was on 32bit XP but their seems to be a Win 10 version https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-jetdirect-download-manager-windows/27355 - think that link detects your OS.

Thanks all for the replies, ill try all this later when i get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Ignore my link for the "JetDirect" software it just takes you to HP's download manager which upgrades printer and jetdirect firmware. It might help find your printer if you put in the printers MAC address but otherwise won't allow you to manipulate the printers settings.

Advertisement