Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my cycling shoes!

Options
  • 01-12-2017 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭

Got a new bike n dug up an old pair of shoes I got cheap years ago only to find there is a big part missing. Anyone know where I can get the missing bit to fit on so I can then attach cleats? See photo

They are DMT RS3s...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Got a new bike n dug up an old pair of shoes I got cheap years ago only to find there is a big part missing. Anyone know where I can get the missing bit to fit on so I can then attach cleats? See photo

They are DMT RS3s...

That's where the cleat or spd fitting goes. Nothing missing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

NBar wrote: »
    That's where the cleat or spd fitting goes. Nothing missing

That's what I thought but there is meant to be a plastic bit that fits that shape perfectly and renders the sole flat. Then you attach the cleats

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's what I thought but there is meant to be a plastic bit that fits that shape perfectly and renders the sole flat. Then you attach the cleats

No. They just screw on to those holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

There is a plate missing that has the particular fitting holes in it, a few shoes did this in the early 90's so that they were compatible with as many types of pedal as possible. Might be difficult to source

Borderfox wrote: »
    There is a plate missing that has the particular fitting holes in it, a few shoes did this in the early 90's so that they were compatible with as many types of pedal as possible. Might be difficult to source

Do you think it's essential to have that plate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Do you think it's essential to have that plate?

It looks like a cleat will bolt straight on so no don’t think it’s essential. Just remove the plate on the other shoe too

Sounds good. I got some screws with the cleats but they're not long enough without the plates. I'll head to the hardware store tomorrow and see if they have anything suitable.

Hi all

Emailer DMT who said this model was 20 years old and they don't have spares so I think I'll just have to buy new shoes.

I've noticed the arch of my left foot is always inclined to get sore. On that basis should I be looking at carbon soles for the strength of the sole? I know decathlon have an excellent pair for a hundred pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have found, that the stiffer the sole, the more comfortable the shoe, particularly on long spins. Carbon soled shoes tend to be stiffer.
    Decathlon shoes seem to get very good reviews.

Advertisement