Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Drugs don't work, they just make you worse

We know well be seein his face again

Unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

What an idiot move.. he might get away with something like that in Ireland... in the US they will take him to the cleaners... money gone, career gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

and the NYPD are in on it?

No. We'll see if anyone presses charges or not. If not then it is say that you are sorry & be a good boy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Its kind of sad really, came from nothing, made himself a bag load of cash, he could have just walked off into the sunset with himself and his family set up for life. Instead it looks like he's gone and 'blown' it all away being the hard man. His family seem to have no problem spending the money he's earned, now its time to earn it and stage an intervention. The guy is off the rails, it has been coming a while. Sad really. I still think he'll fight again if he wants, look at Tyson and his rape conviction didn't stop him fighting or staring in movies. Its a strange world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what he did, was what a certain group of people would do if you offended a member of their family.

some people should never come into money like he has.

I hate all the "well hes a millionaire" bull, like thats the only measure of a person these days.

It was a sh1te thing to do. But yeah he "came into money" without pursuing a goal and succeeding in life. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

He'll be grand.
    It's not like he's some random bloke working in Tesco and he did this.
    Sure then, he could loose his job (if Tesco etc) found out. Would get charged etc. Oh "what will I do now?!" type thing - But he is Conor Mcgregor.... famous MMA fighter and UFC star. He is a millionaire to boot. Could never work a day in his life again and still have a big bank balance.

So no he did not just ruin his life ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

pc7 wrote: »
    Its kind of sad really, came from nothing, made himself a bag load of cash, he could have just walked off into the sunset with himself and his family set up for life. Instead it looks like he's gone and 'blown' it all away being the hard man. His family seem to have no problem spending the money he's earned, now its time to earn it and stage an intervention. The guy is off the rails, it has been coming a while. Sad really. I still think he'll fight again if he wants, look at Tyson and his rape conviction didn't stop him fighting or staring in movies. Its a strange world.

Tyson couldn't get deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No. We'll see if anyone presses charges or not. If not then it is say that you are sorry & be a good boy.

He's already been charged. :rolleyes: Mr Current Affairs.

Unfortunately bad behaviour tends to make fighters more famous/wealthy due to their notoriety. We've seen it with Tyson. Conor will have some short term hurt but in the long run he will probably earn even more money. Every time he acts the cnut he gets richer and more famous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

GBX wrote: »
    He is minted. "ruined his life" - Yeah, I don't think so. He may not fight again in the UFC after this but that won't stop the money coming in for him.

You need brains to stay financially secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

pc7 wrote: »

I think you're right
    If the men in suits can make money out of it/him then yes
    Money talks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

How old are these idiots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

CtuGBa6W8AAj6GW.jpg

Why thats Tyrone, he'll be your cell mate Conor, and poor Tyrone has an awful habit of dropping the bar of soap!!

big-black-man-in-a-jail.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Very strange when blokes fantasize about another man they don't even know getting raped...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

He'll be grand.
    It's not like he's some random bloke working in Tesco and he did this.
    Sure then, he could loose his job (if Tesco etc) found out. Would get charged etc. Oh "what will I do now?!" type thing - But he is Conor Mcgregor.... famous MMA fighter and UFC star. He is a millionaire to boot. Could never work a day in his life again and still have a big bank balance.

So no he did not just ruin his life ;)

He is about to get sued by 5 fighters at least who have lost out on TV exposure, merchandising revenue, potential lucrative promotional opportunities and a pay-day at the weekend. The money won't last long if he is in jail and they are lining up.

Not to mention being banned from the UFC and United States. He needs to get a grip on himself and disown them wanabe gangsters he hangs around with fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Steve F wrote: »
    I think you're right
    If the men in suits can make money out of it/him then yes
    Money talks

if he gets an assault conviction it will be nigh on impossible for him to enter the US again...

regardless what 'men in suits' want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

seamus wrote: »
    If it's a PR stunt, they wouldn't have gotten the cops involved. That complicates the whole thing if McGregor ends up being banned from the US or spending any time in jail.

Between this and getting into a brawl in Crumlin with some actual gangsters, it's clear at this stage that McGregor is just an idiot who now fancies himself as untouchable.

Within a decade he'll be on the scratcher again, guarantee it.

Ah now come on !!

Even McGregor couldn't possibly burn through 100M ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    He is about to get sued by 5 fighters at least who have lost out on TV exposure, merchandising revenue, potential lucrative promotional opportunities and a pay-day at the weekend. The money won't last long if he is in jail and they are lining up.

Precisely. The reality is this - you cannot simply run around damaging people like McGregor did, especially when you have money and are known to have money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sleeper12 wrote: »

well there have already been charges. Also, the police dont need the victim to press charges. they have enough evidence from the video.

• Advertisement

twinytwo wrote: »
    What an idiot move.. he might get away with something like that in Ireland... in the US they will take him to the cleaners... money gone, career gone.

Do law suits carry across countries? If someone in the states sued him and won but Conor never went back to the states, can they chase him for that money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You need brains to stay financially secure.

He's done all right so far with his team around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah now come on !!

very easy to do that, anyone could do it in one go, its been done many times before

Ah now come on !!

Depends who's minding his money. How much is a chartered flight on no notice to America?

If it's a PR stunt, they wouldn't have gotten the cops involved. That complicates the whole thing if McGregor ends up being banned from the US or spending any time in jail.

Between this and getting into a brawl in Crumlin with some actual gangsters, it's clear at this stage that McGregor is just an idiot who now fancies himself as untouchable.

Within a decade he'll be on the scratcher again, guarantee it.

Didn't you say he will be dead in five years that time he was in court?

At least you've come down to broke and in ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do law suits carry across countries? If someone in the states sued him and won but Conor never went back to the states, can they chase him for that money?

put simply, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

iano.p wrote: »
    I respect what he has done in mma. But holy god the man has no class and never will he needs a better group of friends around him. Where were the event security that is abit strange too me there only seems a couple there. You would see more at the local bingo hall.

The event was over and the fighters were getting on the bus in a private area to go home. No one should have been there. One of the lackeys from the MacLife website who were accredited to be there opened a fire exit and let McGregor and gang in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Do we all have to go to war now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I wonder what John Kavanaghs take on it is?

Although I suspect he'll keep very quiet as his cash cow acts the d!ck, he always turns a blind eye to his antics but as JK is pretty professional, it must be really annoying him privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Ah now come on !!

Have a look at the ESPN doc 'Broke'. There hasn't been an amount of money accumulated that an eejit like McGregor couldn't blow.

Cocaine, law suits, fancy cars and dozens of hangers-on costs a lot of money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

McGregor is a bum. In 5 years time he'll either be dead or in Big Brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

anewme wrote: »
    Or even more accurate and say a feral West Dublin kid?

Only Crumlin isn't in West Dublin :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Seems almost a level of twisted satisfaction on the thread towards what's happening. McGregor back to where he deserves to be finally for a lot of people. Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

never liked him but just cant imagine how stupid he is, hes done in US as he wont get visa anymore plus most of his money (if not all of them) will be gone on courts orders ...
    ..anyways, scum always will remain scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wonder what John Kavanaghs take on it is?

Although I suspect he'll keep very quiet as his cash cow acts the d!ck, he always turns a blind eye to his antics but as JK is pretty professional, it must be really annoying him privately.

Kavanagh seems decent and I'd say he is seething but McGregor has outgrown him and he has probably no control over him. The reputation of his gym is taking a hit. Real risk that his SBG fighters dont get let near the UFC in the future, especially with Artem involved here and being left off the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Seems almost a level of twisted satisfaction on the thread towards what's happening. McGregor back to where he deserves to be finally for a lot of people. Sad.

it's almost like people don't like classless drug fueled knackbags who act like thugs... Sad alright.

If you're suggesting that some people find the idea of a coked-up, thuggish, hands-down-his-pants, loudmouth, classless, famous-in-an-irrelevant-arena moron like McGregor being shoved down our throats, touted as a role model and, at one stage, even championed as our 'Greatest Ever Sportstar' as somewhat unpalatable then, yep, you can certainly put me in that bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Yester wrote: »
    Do we all have to go to war now?

Don’t be ridiculous. It’s Friday, who goes to war on a weekend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Oh what will the Joe.ie brigade think!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    If you're suggesting that some people find the idea of a coked-up, thuggish, hands-down-his-pants, loudmouth, classless, famous-in-an-irrelevant-arena moron like McGregor being shoved down our throats, touted as a role model and, at one stage, even championed as our 'Greatest Ever Sportstar' as somewhat unpalatable then, yep, you can certainly put me in that bracket.
    Nah I'm suggesting that people have been waiting for years for his fall. Something that never sat right with them about a lad who was on the dole a couple of years ago only to be laughing at them now with his hard earned millions. We know how AH hate those dole lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pelvis wrote: »
    McGregor is a bum. In 5 years time he'll either be dead or in Big Brother.

I dunno which is a worse fate.

• Advertisement

Nah I'm suggesting that people have been waiting for years for his fall. Something that never sat right with them about a lad who was on the dole a couple of years ago only to be laughing at them now with his hard earned millions. We know how AH hate those dole lads.

:D:D:D

Yes. That's exactly what this is about. (Mods: any chance of a Facepalm emoji?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Don’t be ridiculous. It’s Friday, who goes to war on a weekend :D

True. Lets leave it until next Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

and the NYPD are in on it?

They don't need to be.
    But do you think they'll be all heavy handed on him?
    Unlikely...
    It's a tiny price to pay for all the PR etc...
    He'll prob have a cosy cell to himself and all the cops will be fawning over him anyway.

The team behind him will have formulated all the 'what if' scenarios the law could possibly throw at him.
    Either way, they all win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

never liked him but just cant imagine how stupid he is, hes done in US as he wont get visa anymore plus most of his money (if not all of them) will be gone on courts orders ...
    ..anyways, scum always will remain scum

The worst part is, he only had to really do two more fights (kabib, Diaz 3) and he could have walked away gone out on top, legacy safe and financially set for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ush1 wrote: »
    Didn't you say he will be dead in five years that time he was in court?

At least you've come down to broke and in ten years.
    I don't know, did I? I say a lot of rubbish, it's hard to keep track of it all.

I'm glad I've got you as my secretary though to keep track of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Yes. That's exactly what this is about. (Mods: any chance of a Facepalm emoji?)

giphy.gif

I don't know, did I? I say a lot of rubbish, it's hard to keep track of it all.

I'm glad I've got you as my secretary though to keep track of it.

It's good to know you're aware you spout lots of rubbish.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm sure there are plenty of pro footballers, boxers, musicians, writers, etc, who were on the dole, or earning very little, who made a lot of money, but didn't act the complete c**t while doing it....
    He chose to be on the dole no?
    I saw some clip of him recently, an old one, where he's going on about why he doesn't like football. Real dumb stuff. There is nothing that this man says that anyone should be influenced by.
    If he was Conor the plumber, he'd possibly still be chucking chairs in his local in Crumlin, and would be a footnote in a local newspaper or something.
    You can dress him up all you like in bling. No class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's amusing how some Irish people take violent offence at the notion that a wealthy Irish celebrity or businessperson might just do something with which you actually disagree or are critical about, without considering their wealth and success in the equation.

Talk about craven forelock-tugging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

twinytwo wrote: »
    The worst part is, he only had to really do two more fights (kabib, Diaz 3) and he could have walked away gone out on top, legacy safe and financially set for life.

exactly, but thats the past now and cant see any future for him, unless farmers markets fights.
    another thing is, he brought bad name to whole country now and think that he should be publicly named and shamed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement