Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

And the felony he's been charged with comes with a 2 year mandatory sentence if found guilty.

I knew he'd look for excuses not to get back in the UFC ring what with the €100m purse, but this is a tad extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I knew he'd look for excuses not to get back in the UFC ring what with the €100m purse, but this is a tad extreme.

Theres a video on one of the other threads, I can't save and put up here because i'm in work. But Dana said he was texting Conor after if and McGregor tried to justify it to him.

"He apologized to Mike, Rose and anyone else that got hurt but said that this had to be done" - may not be verbatim, but is the gist of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

And we are supposed to care why sod him he's big enough to make his own choices in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭flatty

I cannot understand why people get so hot under the collar about him.
    No one ever gave him anything. Not a single thing.
    He talks the talk, but he absolutely walks the walk.
    It takes courage to get into that octagon with the people he has fought. He has made a fortune entirely for himself. He's not caused any harm, and I bet he's given loads to charity.
    Fair play to him I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Put a skanger on horseback and he'll ride to hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

flatty wrote: »
    It takes courage to get into that octagon with the people he has fought. He has made a fortune entirely for himself. He's not caused any harm, and I bet he's given loads to charity.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Wasn't the state funding him to become a MMA fighter before his career took off?

Anyway, it's utterly moronic to act the maggot in the US. Aren't foreign citizens usually told to f*ck off and never come back unless they commit a really serious crime? 10 year ban from the USA I imagine will be the outcome here.

Tell that to the lad who's face is so cut up the doctors won't let him fight, or the lad with glass in his eye who can't fight due to doctors advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Tell that to the lad who's face is so cut up the doctors won't let him fight, or the lad with glass in his eye who can't fight due to doctors advice.
    I think that's the same person

• Advertisement

I think that's the same person

Its 2 seperate people. Michael Chiesa has his face cut up. Ray Borg has an apparent lacerated eyeball.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've no interest in UFC. None. I don't think about it at all. Same with McGregor. I never liked him but I've more important things to concern myself with.

However, this incident just proves that he's little more than a base thug with a smart mouth. With any luck, the NYPD and the US courts will issue a lot more than a slap on the wrist and the people he injured will receive adequate compensation.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

You cannot mean this....I mean yeah, break windows, damage peoples faces, jeopardise their careers, cause chaos for absolutely no reason - yeah, fair play to him.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We need a hashtag movement about who we believe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lux23 wrote: »
    He walks like a constipated toddler, and why does he hold his head up like that? Is it because he is so tiny?

he's tiny now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Autochange wrote: »
    This incident involved McGregor. Im not sure who McTapper is.
    You ok hun? Late night?

Hell thats some comedy gold right there.did you come up with that all by yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Dana White saying he's going to jail ?

Surely not ?

He will be able to pay his way out of this surely ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

We need a hashtag movement about who we believe!

#IBelieveTheBus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Seems almost a level of twisted satisfaction on the thread towards what's happening. McGregor back to where he deserves to be finally for a lot of people. Sad.
    are there any positives from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

You know, I was always fairly backing of McGregor, between Irish begrudgers and all of that, as there was a hell of a lot to admire about him. His confidence, his work ethic and his charisma and the Mayweather fight, the greatest piece of trolling in sports history.

But this is complete fùcking scumbag territory, and its a weird decision for being "staged" if that was what happened. Doubt it completely.

The rise and fall of Conor McGregor, movie some day. This ain't your typical cocaine fun either. Fùck this guy, I hope these lads sue the shìte out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

I've no interest in UFC. None. I don't think about it at all. Same with McGregor. I never liked him but I've more important things to concern myself with.

However, this incident just proves that he's little more than a base thug with a smart mouth. With any luck, the NYPD and the US courts will issue a lot more than a slap on the wrist and the people he injured will receive adequate compensation.

Ah now!! :p

A lot of outrage over this but this is making a McGregor Vs Khabib fight possibly the biggest ufc ppv of all time.

Dana saying in that video that they could have fought each other in the octagon is a bit of a tell into the mind of a promoter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

He always seemed so polite and reserved. I never would have expected him to do something like this. If he were to get into any kind of trouble in America my money would have been on him helping old ladies across the street and being arrested for jaywalking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

"The octagon is the harshest of all shapes" - Abraham Lincoln

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Once a scumbag always a scumbag, money doesn't change that. complete embaressment to the country, awful that this knuckle dragger is probably the most famous athlete we have at present. Got his arse handed to him by a practically retired 40 year old, Pity people don't support the large number of excellent fighters we have who don't resort to this scummy behavior. Compare him to the recently retired Andy Lee or Carl Frampton he's not half the man they are.

Dana White saying he's going to jail ?

Surely not ?

He will be able to pay his way out of this surely ?

?

pay your way out of jail? How does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

03-12-16%2B-%2B1

He has plenty of it & can afford the best legal representation. In the USA these two ingredients make a lot of things go away, or at least provide scope for charges/court decisions to be lessened. I can foresee minimum penalties for lessened criminal charges plus out of court settlements to avoid any civil actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

lawred2 wrote: »
    ?

'Jail' in America means arrest&pre-trial detention, so you pay your way out by posting bail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Hope has a more respect for the American Court than he had for ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Hope he is sent out of the country and never allowed back in

'Jail' in America means arrest&pre-trial detention, so you pay your way out by posting bail.

not entirely true... jail can be used for those convicted and serving short sentences.

either way - I see that you meant detention.

It's up to the judge to allow release on bail... maybe that's not going to happen..

Or maybe bail is going to be set at such a level that it's going to take McTosser a good while to get it all together. As such jail is inevitable for a while at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Wouldn't he be a flight risk as the story is he just flew in to confront Khabib? Hopefully the judge denies bail but I'd imagine that's only for more serious crimes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

not entirely true... jail can be used for those convicted and serving short sentences.

either way - I see that you meant detention.

It's up to the judge to allow release on bail... maybe that's not going to happen..

I think we'd agree that when Dana White said 'he's going to jail' he probably meant it as a few days in a police cell/then before a judge/possible bail hearing sense, whereas the media here and many posters have taken it to mean an actual prison sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

"A fighting cock is always a fighting cock, not just in the arena"

- Old Chinese proverb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

it's almost like people don't like classless drug fueled knackbags who act like thugs... Sad alright.

I think like most people, for many years I praised him for his rise to the top. A lot of that meteoric rise was hard work and that's something to applaud and to point to people and hope they get inspired.

I don't think he is as awful as some people say, but last few years its getting harder and harder to defend the guy, last night he didn't exactly kill anyone, but he still acted like an absolute tramp.

I don't want the guy to become a bum again, as not as if any if any his money will go to me, nor do I want him to be a politically correct bore, but surely we can have a middle ground?

He can be flamboyant without been so utterly obnoxious which he was for the majority of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Agricola wrote:
    "A fighting cock is always a fighting cock, not just in the arena"

Sometimes a fighting cock is really just a dick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

glasso wrote: »
    You're so deluded it's pitiful.

After the major suing that is going to go on here McGregor will be more likely to be plumbing jacks in ballyfermot.

The guy is a moron with a pigeon-brain who couldn't plan more than 1 move ahead to save his life and can't even manage 1 move usually.

It would be a good idea to actually comprehend a post before replying to it.

Wheety wrote: »
    Wouldn't he be a flight risk as the story is he just flew in to confront Khabib? Hopefully the judge denies bail but I'd imagine that's only for more serious crimes?

I doubt he'll be denied bail, although it may depend what level of assault they charge him with. NY State has three levels of assault, 1st degree being the most serious (usually reserved for assault with a deadly weapon like a knife or something, max sentence 25 years). 2nd degree can also carry a prison sentence of up to 7 years. 3rd is more of a minor misdemeanour and doesn't usually involve any jail time unless you have previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

No match v Khabib so. I wonder what he was thinking of?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The NY commission pulled them out on doctors advice.

The lads haven't just gone, "Yeah, can't fight now". Ludicrous to have the lack of brainpower to realise that athletes can't just pull out of events because they feel like it.

Any links to what the current status of those fighters is?
    I'd be fairly confident there is fúck all wrong with those lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

eddie73 wrote: »

Probably got pissed off when he found out he was fighting some guy called Khabib and not entering a kebab eating contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

eddie73 wrote: »

he doent think, thats the problem...I'll say all of these punches taken made his brain like a jelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

A lot of people suggesting he's on coke....just looks like a feral North Dub kid to me

He is a southsider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭lorcand1990

I used to respect him because of his amazing rise to the top, even up until his Mayweather fight i found him entertaining. Now i find it very difficult to like/respect him

Any links to what the current status of those fighters is?
    I'd be fairly confident there is fúck all wrong with those lads.

Current status is unable to compete due to medical advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Meanwhile McGregor is still UFC two weight champion ??
    Unless someone steps in to fight at extremely short notice

?

Ask OJ

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Meanwhile McGregor is still UFC two weight champion ??
    Unless someone steps in to fight at extremely short notice

He was stripped of the 145 belt less than 2 weeks after he won the 155 belt. Pettis has 2 hours to lose 0.2lbs. If Pettis makes it, McGregor will lose his second belt just as he steps up in front of the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Rjd2 wrote: »

I don't think he is as awful as some people say, but last few years its getting harder and harder to defend the guy, last night he didn't exactly kill anyone, but he still acted like an absolute tramp.

Ah here. You're making out it wasn't a big deal or something. He didn't kill someone? What like if I burn a house down but no one dies there's always that and it isn't such a big of a deal?

The guy set out to incite fear in another human. Not the big "hold me back ur ded when I get you in the ring" sort. But the I will legitimately assault you and hurt others to get to you and I don't care who gets in my way.

He's a scumbag, always has been. I don't respect him because of his hard work given that plenty of people work extraordinarily hard and appreciate the opportunities they've worked for.

This guy has just s**t on all that and comes across that he thinks he's entitled to it and whatever he wants as a result of his hardwork.

I love attitude and big talk as it adds personality and an edge to a person such as a fighter. This though is just a natural progression for him and frankly a too far taken action by a man who's ego has taken over his common sense and respect to others.

He may have his millions but he doesn't have much self respect/respect of others left and that's something that in some ways is worth more than money.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Amalgam wrote: »
    ..what is the Dalkey connection?

Fella with him at the time has a dalkey address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

If he is coked up like many suspect he could be addicted to drugs.

If he is an addict he probably rationally has no idea what hes doing half the time and is living in a drug induced delusion. All the yes men around him don't help.

But many vunerable drug addicts have huge ego's, it's all defense. You can have low self esteem and a huge ego.

If he is coked out if his mind 24/7 then he hardly knows what he's doing, that thing in New York probably seems like a dream to a coked up addict like himself.

Guy needs help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If he is coked up like many suspect he could be addicted to drugs.

If he is an addict he probably rationally has no idea what hes doing half the time and is living in a drug induced delusion. All the yes men around him don't help.

But many vunerable drug addicts have huge ego's, it's all defense. You can have low self esteem and a huge ego.

If he is coked out if his mind 24/7 then he hardly knows what he's doing, that thing in New York probably seems like a dream to a coked up addict like himself.

Guy needs help.

Don’t be making excuses for him being a scumbag.
    “Ah the poor old divil is on the drugs.cant help it boss.needs help”.
    No he’s just an ass hole and the assholeness is multiplied if he is in fact on drugs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement