Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I used to respect him because of his amazing rise to the top, even up until his Mayweather fight i found him entertaining. Now i find it very difficult to like/respect him

Amazing rise to the top of what? An irrelevant, farcical, contrived entertainment 'sport' that no one here gave a f*ck about until a couple of years ago but are now all "lifelong fans" of?

Please...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Don’t be making excuses for him being a scumbag.
    “Ah the poor old divil is on the drugs.cant help it boss.needs help”.
    No he’s just an ass hole and the assholeness is multiplied if he is in fact on drugs.

But as someone who took some crap back in the day and known those that have done as well drink/drugs CHANGES PEOPLE 100%. Very often for the worse.

Drink/drugs changes people's attitudes and behaviors.

Ever meet someone quiet as a mouse and then with drink in them they are rude/obnoxious/loud/argumentative etc etc.

We all know people like this. It's the effect of the drink in them.

All I'm saying is if and it's an if, he is drugged up he probably doesn't have much control over his actions.

He's going on emotion and impulse and egotistical delusions.

The fact that he lives in the a list celeb bubble makes it more intense.

He might honestly see himself as some sort of vigilante hero type, like an old spagetti western.

I actually think if you took away the drugs, the yes men, the booze and got him to take a look at himself and perhaps repent (it helps!). He probably is a decent/humble guy.

He's not some raving lunatic, I'd be surprised if he was stone cold sober during that incident in New York.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Amazing rise to the top of what? An irrelevant, farcical, contrived entertainment 'sport' that no one here gave a f*ck about until a couple of years ago but are now all "lifelong fans" of?

Please...

Want some salt for that chip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

lawred2 wrote: »
    ?

pay your way out of jail? How does that work?

Good lawyer, paying a fine etc ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

If he is coked up like many suspect he could be addicted to drugs.

If he is an addict he probably rationally has no idea what hes doing half the time and is living in a drug induced delusion. All the yes men around him don't help.

But many vunerable drug addicts have huge ego's, it's all defense. You can have low self esteem and a huge ego.

If he is coked out if his mind 24/7 then he hardly knows what he's doing, that thing in New York probably seems like a dream to a coked up addict like himself.

Guy needs help.

Your story kinda reminds me of Jordan(Leonardo DiCaprio)in The Wolf of Wall St,. when he thinks he drove home safely and with no issues lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

:D

You're cool :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

ah ! of course, jail untill hearing ... not actual prison sentence !!!

riiighhhtt..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Now Holloway is out. This card has fallen to sh!t faster than any other I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭lorcand1990

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Please...

I'm not even a fan of him to be honest. I said I respected him for what he had done for himself & his sport & found him entertaining at times

I don't watch much UFC, saw a few of his fights & watched the Mayweather fight, definitely not a lifelong fan, far from it..

To see an Irish guy headlining a massive worldwide PPV boxing event in Vegas is not something I thought i would see, but McGregor did it, so at that stage it was a pretty amazing thing to do. Sure the fight itself was a joke, but in fairness to McGregor he made it happen

But if you think nobody gives/gave a f*ck about it then that's you're opinion, i disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

The mention of salt is a common retort by fans of McGregor when anyone dare point out that he is overhyped in a niche sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

He probably is a decent/humble guy.

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Good one!!!

*wipes eyes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I think he's a really great example for people. He's shown what hard work determination and utter belief in yourself can achieve and he's also shown exactly what not to do and what not to become once you've made it to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Can't give yokes like that money.

Reminds me of the old adage 'give a knacker a horse and he'll ride himself to hell.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

superg wrote: »
    I think he's a really great example for people. He's shown what hard work determination and utter belief in yourself can achieve and he's also shown exactly what not to do and what not to become once you've made it to the top.

He's a modern day Georgie Best - has already displayed he is a man with real issues, and has made enemies with people who one doesn't take too lightly - won't end well

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ironwalk

"Irish fighter Conor McGregor has been charged with assault and criminal mischief following a backstage disturbance at a UFC event in New York."

According to the Irish Times, he turned himself in.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I don't believe a pro athlete such as him,. is taking drugs or drinking to excess!?
    Do some of you really believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

overhyped in a niche sport.

But that's not true though, MMA is the second largest combat sport, second to only boxing. It's also the largest growing sport, period. That's not niche.

Saying that it's "irrelevant" and "niche" simply isn't true. So that's probably why people are calling others who say that "salty". They probably assume you know these facts but ignore them, rather than just being ignorant to its actual global appeal.

I don't believe a pro athlete such as him,. is taking drugs or drinking to excess!?

Yeah. I agree with you.

Listen, I have this bridge for sale and you seem like a guy who’d be interested in making a wise investment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes why is it that crazy to think? Have you seen videos of him on nights out? That's not from a Pepsi Max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

We need a hashtag movement about who we believe!

#MeToo!! ????

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Sometimes a fighting cock is really just a dick

Knock it off with the dick jokes. Ya little prick. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's just a publicity stunt just like the way he was throwing the bottles at Nate Diaz and the whole racism fiasco with Floyd. His life and this so called sport is all just one big publicity stunt and the worst thing is people are falling for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's just a publicity stunt just like the way he was throwing the bottles at Nate Diaz and the whole racism fiasco with Floyd. His life and this so called sport is all just one big publicity stunt and the worst thing is people are falling for it.

The NYPD and all their resources I'm sure are happy to be part of this "PR stunt" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Stephen15 wrote: »

Most publicity stunts don't end up with people in jail and their entire careers at rick because of the visa issues a conviction would bring.

• Advertisement

Tell that to the lad who's face is so cut up the doctors won't let him fight, or the lad with glass in his eye who can't fight due to doctors advice.

Just remember. Conor said he was sorry. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

But as someone who took some crap back in the day and known those that have done as well drink/drugs CHANGES PEOPLE 100%. Very often for the worse.

Drink/drugs changes people's attitudes and behaviors.

Ever meet someone quiet as a mouse and then with drink in them they are rude/obnoxious/loud/argumentative etc etc.

We all know people like this. It's the effect of the drink in them.

All I'm saying is if and it's an if, he is drugged up he probably doesn't have much control over his actions.

He's going on emotion and impulse and egotistical delusions.

The fact that he lives in the a list celeb bubble makes it more intense.

He might honestly see himself as some sort of vigilante hero type, like an old spagetti western.

I actually think if you took away the drugs, the yes men, the booze and got him to take a look at himself and perhaps repent (it helps!). He probably is a decent/humble guy.

He's not some raving lunatic, I'd be surprised if he was stone cold sober during that incident in New York.

I’m sorry but I just don’t agree with this.my own belief and experience is that if you are an asshole while drunk or drugged you are also that same asshole sober but you just hide it better and drink and drugs just allow you to project who you really are.no excuse.
    And it’s actually a favorite go to excuse for said asshole when trying to justify their asshole behavior while under the influence that whatever chemical it is they used was the reason for their behavior instead of owning up and owning said actions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Most publicity stunts don't end up with people in jail and their entire careers at rick because of the visa issues a conviction would bring.

Maybe its Conors way of getting his fight in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    #MeToo!! ????

ROFL . .Has he sponsership? Will an apology appease them? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Maybe its Conors way of getting his fight in Dublin.

..any farmers market in Dublin? :P :P

• Advertisement

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    ROFL . .Has he sponsership? Will an apology appease them? :pac:

He's a walking sponsorship. I imagine some of them won't be happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

A lot of people suggesting he's on coke....just looks like a feral North Dub kid to me

What does a feral North Dub kid look like ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

thomasj wrote: »

Like a multi-millionaire from the south side of Dublin apparently.

Like a multi-millionaire from the south side of Dublin apparently.

Okay clear this up for me.

Dublin postcodes, odd numbers were for Northside, even numbers are for southside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Does anyone know what happens if he is convicted. Is that him finished in amerikay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Will Budweiser Ben Sherman and Starlet Turbo drop their sponsorship deals with him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

If he fights Khabib it'll be in Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Does anyone know what happens if he is convicted. Is that him finished in amerikay?

They could deport him immediately and that messes up his career and fighting in America again ,
    But this is Americans courts he will get a plea deal and likely walk .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

news reports coming out say Conor's locked up in NYC after going on a violent rampage at the UFC press conference. he picked up a number of heavy metal objects and threw them at a bus containing other fighters, one of the objects broke the bus window which led to one of the fighters getting cut badly on his face/head. it was caught on tape as well.

he's going to get so many charges off of this, is going to be sued by a bunch of people including the UFC, probably deported and banned from the US altogether.

ufc career gone
    , huge chunks of his money gone, criminal record and most likely a serious drug problem (doubt he was sober and it wasn't budweiser he was on) crazy and sad, but he's so screwed.

Mike Tyson was convicted of raping a woman, went to jail, and his big fights proceeding that broke box office records

Floyd Mayweather boxed the head of a woman, was convicted and went to jail. Went on to become most highly paid sports person in sports history.

Are Conor McGregors crimes worst than that? I don't think so. His ufc career over? . Don't think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Talented fighter, but what a complete tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Gatling wrote:
    They could deport him immediately and that messes up his career and fighting in America again , But this is Americans courts he will get a plea deal and likely walk .

Drug conviction & violence conviction are treated the same in the states. Very difficult to get back in with either one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

thomasj wrote: »

Heatons Lonsdale, head to toe, no socks, trackies afraid of his plimsoles, head half shaved, wet fringe otherwise, stolen BMX (lord knows where they even find BMXs) shoplifted can of Monster, many deals of hashish and quite a few yokes inside his coat pockets, survives on the calories of cheap beer, likely to get scurvy and rickets, didnt do the junior cert, punched a teacher, has his Ma's heart broke.

Or in other words, Conor McGregor's alternate reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Mike Tyson was convicted of raping a woman, went to jail, and his big fights proceeding that broke box office records

Floyd Mayweather boxed the head of a woman, was convicted and went to jail. Went on to become most highly paid sports person in sports history.

Are Conor McGregors crimes worst than that? I don't think so. His ufc career over? . Don't think so!

This is it. Storm in a teacup really. A shame that two lads were injured but on the scale of things it's nothing.

I am enjoying watching a lad from a big house in Lucan and a lad from Dalkey getting led out of a New York police station as Irelands most wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Larbre34 wrote:
    Heatons Lonsdale, head to toe, no socks, trackies afraid of his plimsoles, head half shaved, wet fringe otherwise, stolen BMX (lord knows where they even find BMXs) shoplifted can of Monster, many deals of hashish and quite a few yokes inside his coat pockets, survives on the calories of cheap beer, likely to get scurvy and rickets, didnt do the junior cert, punched a teacher, has his Ma's heart broke.

Larbre34 wrote:
    Or in other words, Conor McGregor's alternate reality.

Have you not just described some crumlin or tallaght lads?

Will Budweiser Ben Sherman and Starlet Turbo drop their sponsorship deals with him ?

I imagine the bigger name sponsors [aren't his skin tight jogging suit Gucci?] won't be too thrilled about this.

Depending on which judge he sees. He might even have to surrender his passport and will have to stay in NY if a judge considers him a flight risk.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's an absolute disgrace that this is the top story on RTEs flagship news broadcast.

Not one mention of what's happening at INM this week whichsl should have massive fallout for he who shall not be named

File it under sports or entertainment. It's not inportant.

Edit: Finally a mention on RTE. Still shouldn't be the main story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A spell in the US prison system then deportation never to darken the US again.

They don't give a fcuk about a scrote from Crumlin.

But that scrote has plenty of dollars to buy himself out of it ,
    First time offence and it's highly likely they will use the lobov incident as some kind of provocation ,
    Remember this is Americans courts they don't always operate as they should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

They're American. He is not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement