Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In the immortal words of Captain Mainwearing, 'you stupid boy'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Not a hope he will get jail,money talks and this is America. All the money he could ever imagine and absolutely no class whats so ever,5 years ago he was a loud mouth skanger,2 years ago the same,only richer and 3 years into the future he'll still be a rich skanger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

YFlyer wrote: »
    They're American. He is not.

It's a global sport.Even if he was somehow banned from America, which is unlikely. He could fight in Brazil or anywhere in a similar time zone to America. The whole world would tune in and buy those ppvs

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

thomasj wrote: »
    What does a feral North Dub kid look like ? :confused:
    McGregor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Have you not just described some crumlin or tallaght lads?

Of course. Take your pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

It's a global sport.Even if he was somehow banned from America, which is unlikely. He could fight in Brazil or anywhere in a similar time zone to America

Surely he has already made his money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That's a weird looking bus. Kinda like a bus but with a car stuck on the front.

I'll bet this is all a bit. The Notorious turns heel, and it all ends up in a Tables, Ladders and Chairs match versus Donald Trump dressed as Captain America, in the Garden.

humberklog wrote: »

Cut n' shut, straightouttaCrumlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mike Tyson was convicted of raping a woman, went to jail, and his big fights proceeding that broke box office records

Floyd Mayweather boxed the head of a woman, was convicted and went to jail. Went on to become most highly paid sports person in sports history.

I can't wait to see how much the rugby players will make out of their saga.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I can't wait to see how much the rugby players will make out of their saga.
    They weren't world famous global sports stars.box office gold. It's no comparison

Even look at tiger woods, all the trials and tribulations he has gone through. It will never stop his appeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mike Tyson was convicted of raping a woman, went to jail, and his big fights proceeding that broke box office records

Floyd Mayweather boxed the head of a woman, was convicted and went to jail. Went on to become most highly paid sports person in sports history.

Are Conor McGregors crimes worst than that? I don't think so. His ufc career over? . Don't think so!

Mike Tyson is American and wouldn’t have any visa issues in USA.

Floyd Mayweather is American and wouldn’t have any visa issues in the USA.

Conor McGregor is Irish and needs a visa to get into and fight in the USA.

Spot the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'll bet this is all a bit. The Notorious turns heel, and it all ends up in a Tables, Ladders and Chairs match versus Donald Trump dressed as Captain America, in the Garden.

Hopefully the Donald goes over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I doubt we'll see the arrogance he showed in the Irish courts. I'd say he's quiet as a mouse now over there.
    Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

But that's not true though, MMA is the second largest combat sport, second to only boxing. It's also the largest growing sport, period. That's not niche.

Saying that it's "irrelevant" and "niche" simply isn't true. So that's probably why people are calling others who say that "salty". They probably assume you know these facts but ignore them, rather than just being ignorant to its actual global appeal.

Not the fastest or largest growing sport globally. It might be in a few places. Which would suggest it is niche. Countries like India and China with massive populations will dictate what the largest growing sport is. Even the concept of PPV will only mean it will be accessible to some.

As regards ‘salty’ I think that is normally retorted in defense of McGregor rather than MMA. It’s like playing the begrudgery card to anyone that comments negatively about the chap.

Mike Tyson is American and wouldn’t have any visa issues in USA.

Floyd Mayweather is American and wouldn’t have any visa issues in the USA.

Conor McGregor is Irish and needs a visa to get into and fight in the USA.

Spot the difference.

He could fight in Brazil or any number of countries? People will still pay to see him fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Okay clear this up for me.

Dublin postcodes, odd numbers were for Northside, even numbers are for southside

Except for the Áras....
    Northside but D8

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Listen maybe this next 5,6 years he spends locked up will be a blessing in disguise.

He might find the Lord while incarcerated, he could become a deacon and run Bible classes and study groups for the other inmates. Brother Conor.

He could take up painting. Water colours of butterflies which he could sell to help raise money for youth outreach programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Last night before I knew anything about this story I wrote this on the other McGregor thread : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106641073&postcount=337

Clearly someone up above hates me and gets off on tormenting me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Rodin wrote: »
    I doubt we'll see the arrogance he showed in the Irish courts. I'd say he's quiet as a mouse now over there.
    Idiot.

His perp walk in handcuffs lead by a few NYC detectives certainly wiped out his cockiness anyway. No acting the prick like he did infront of the Gardai when in court here.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

topper75 wrote: »
    If only he were like the Pied Scumbag of New York and they all followed him over there from the towns and cities of our land.

While I have no interest in the car park fighting scene, I sincerely hope McGregor isn't barred from the United States. When he fights in the US he attracts a following of, how do I put this, persons of a low character, and the rate of burglaries, assaults and assorted petty (and not so petty) crime in Dublin must fall substantially, and there's always the chance that some of them will "fall off balconies" and not return at all. So I say "come on Conor" (or is it Connor, or even Conner?)

Eh Tyson and Mayweather aren’t Irish?

Exactly, and McGregor is, so he needs visa to get into USA.

Exactly, and McGregor is, so he needs visa to get into USA.
    Even if McGregor has no visa for the USA, do you think that people lose interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Rodin wrote: »
    Except for the Aras....
    Northside but D8

Parkgate Street is also Dublin 8, North of the Liffey. Dublin 20 also straddles the Liffey

Listen maybe this next 5,6 years he spends locked up will be a blessing in disguise.

He might find the Lord while incarcerated, he could become a deacon and run Bible classes and study groups for the other inmates. Brother Conor.

He could take up painting. Water colours of butterflies which he could sell to help raise money for youth outreach programmes.

I KNEW there was a positive to this situation.

When God closes a door, he always opens a window. I learned that from Julie Andrews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

humberklog wrote: »

Americans aren't exactly renowned for aesthetically pleasing vehicle design

Exhibit A your honour

$

Exhibit A your honour

$

Even a SsangYong would look good compared to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Whats prison rules UFC like?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Even a SsangYong would look good compared to that.

That yoke is the only thing stopping the Ssangyong Rodius from holding the worlds ugliest car title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Exhibit A your honour

$

the-homer-inline4.jpg

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Hurrache wrote: »
    His perp walk in handcuffs lead by a few NYC detectives certainly wiped out his cockiness anyway. No acting the prick like he did infront of the Gardai when in court here.

It's all about respect..
    You had better show respect towards the Police in US or your going face down knee in the kidneys.. If you keep it up your getting tazered.
    It's quite simple and easy to understand.
    Your disrespect to society stops when the law catches up with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Hopefully the Donald goes over.

With a shocking assist from real life libertarian kane.

• Advertisement

Even if McGregor has no visa for the USA, do you think that people lose interest?

US sponsors would.

US sponsors would.

There would be no problem with other sponsors. Even if that happened

There would be no problem with other sponsors. Even if that happened

Yes, everyone wants their brand promoted by a scumbag.

Not fighting in the US, people would lose interest very quickly. A lot of MMA fans are peed off with his inactivity in their sport.

I think he ll be a yesterdays man soon enough. I can see him declaring bankruptcy in a few years too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

flatty wrote: »
    I cannot understand why people get so hot under the collar about him.
    No one ever gave him anything. Not a single thing.
    He talks the talk, but he absolutely walks the walk.
    It takes courage to get into that octagon with the people he has fought. He has made a fortune entirely for himself. He's not caused any harm, and I bet he's given loads to charity.
    Fair play to him I'd say.

Up until yesterday I'd have agreed with you but smashing windows and injuring people isn't right.

• Advertisement

Up until yesterday I'd have agreed with you but smashing windows and injuring people isn't right.

What's the story with his current alleged actions? What's motivating those? As yer man said, Dana, head of MMA, he's a father now- what's he doing this for?

I wasn't a fan but at the same time, I wouldn't have predicted he'd do something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's the story with his current alleged actions? What's motivating those? As yer man said, Dana, head of MMA, he's a father now- what's he doing this for?

I wasn't a fan but at the same time, I wouldn't have predicted he'd do something like this.

Motivation?

He's a coke fuelled lunatic. There is no grand plan. No motivating factors. He's just a plain old lunatic who thought his money bought immunity.

Is he still in the courthouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm not sure what was going on in his head when he did it, he might have got away with a slap on the wrist here for something like that but over there I'd imagine it's a different story.

He'll need a good lawyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Is it all for hype though? If the MMA kick him out then we know it's not. If they don't... We know it is.
    Don't agree with what he did at all BTW regardless of motivation. I'm surprised the other fighters on the bus didn't get off and kick his ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

@lawred2

Do you have a link to back that up? That's a pretty strong accusation to make in a public forum- especially against a multi-millionaire who's potentially about to be relieved of some of those millions through civil law-suits. I'd imagine he might want to claw back some of those losses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

@lawred2

Do you have a link to back that up? That's a pretty strong accusation to make in a public forum- especially against a multi-millionaire who's potentially about to be relieved of some of those millions through civil law-suits. I'd imagine he might want to claw back some of those losses?

don't need a link. every dog on the street knows about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

A lot of people can't handle extreme levels of fame in the end. It's not a natural mindset to be in. The little bit evolved so far in our brains can't deal with that noise. Not saying that's what his issue is, I don't know, but it's been a issue for a great deal of worldwide famous people like him. A lot of their minds snap.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I'm not sure what was going on in his head when he did it, he might have got away with a slap on the wrist here for something like that but over there I'd imagine it's a different story.

He'll need a good lawyer.

I watched the RTE news and there appears (allegedly) to be a back story around bullying/threats against another fighter and he flew over to intervene.

It must be some back story if it pushed him to do what he's alleged to have done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement