Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭MattressRick

They'll just have fights in Mexico, Canada, Brazil etc if he gets banned from the U.S. The location matters little, it's the time zone that pays the bills.

If the UFC completely dropped him, he'd just fight in a low Tax Caribbean nation, in a one off PPV fight with Nate Diaz, promote it themselves, take the PPV cash for themselves.

McGregor will then be able to temp away individuals in the UFC for one off fights and do the same.

There is a big risk of MMA becoming like boxing if the UFC and McGregor fall out

Bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Why did 1.6million people pay for McGregor v Diaz 2?

No one is going to tear up their UFC contract for a once off PPV fight against McGregor in the caribbean. No one except has beens or never gonna bes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Why did 1.6million people pay for McGregor v Diaz 2?

Because they are idiots.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Well you know that old saying 'who's the bigger fool, the fool or the fool who follows the fool".

Can't we just like.. put them all in a cargo unit, send it on a ship to some faraway god forsaken island and remove them permanently from the rest of the world??

I was referring to Rikers Island prison, not the TV show..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No one is going to tear up their UFC contract for a once off PPV fight against McGregor in the caribbean. No one except has beens or never gonna bes.

32 year old Nate Diaz, who hasn't fought since the McGregor fights, who's only interested in a prospective McGregor fight, who will earn far more from an independent McGregor fight than with the UFC, who has a gripe with the UFC for banning his brother for life, who's most recent fight with McGregor earned 1.6 million PPV buys. Yep, definitely gonna turn that one down.

32 year old Nate Diaz, who hasn't fought since the McGregor fights, who's only interested in a prospective McGregor fight, who will earn far more from an independent McGregor fight than with the UFC, who has a gripe with the UFC for banning his brother for life, who's most recent fight with McGregor earned 1.6 million PPV buys. Yep, definitely gonna turn that one down.

And that is why UFC is not, and should not be classed as a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

prinzeugen wrote: »

TV show? You've lost me. I just saw island and then thought 'wouldn't it be grand to maroon the b*st*rd there with all his deluded followers and rid them all from the world..'

One can dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Its a bloodsport though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Thanks for agreeing with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The UFC is not a sport, it's a MMA promotion. It has never claimed to be a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

The UFC is not a sport, it's a MMA promotion. It has never claimed to be a sport.

Sports entertainment maybe? Same as wrestling (non olympian obviously)? -> though personally I struggle to see where the entertainment is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I know I was one of the first here to give him grief last night, but after watching this video I have to admit that there's something surreally brilliant about a bland corporate PR junket at a fancy New York hotel on a Thursday night being suddenly ambushed by a gang of 20 Dublin skangers.

https://youtu.be/oGQdc1nBAfI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Knacker gonna knack

Jail

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Not the fastest or largest growing sport globally. It might be in a few places. Which would suggest it is niche. Countries like India and China with massive populations will dictate what the largest growing sport is. Even the concept of PPV will only mean it will be accessible to some.

As regards ‘salty’ I think that is normally retorted in defense of McGregor rather than MMA. It’s like playing the begrudgery card to anyone that comments negatively about the chap.

Ah yeah I get what you mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It's the 9/11 of knack. Someone even shouted 'up the 'Ra' outside the courthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Strange that he wasn't shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I always think Law & Order when I hear Rikers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe he can go a few rounds with Bear Grylls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Would he not get more street cred. Not bailing himself out and waiting for his trial?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He hasn't ruined his life...but he is ruining mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

he'll probably have his license revoked and be banned from the entire country, and that's before we even get to whether Dana would allow him back.

Dana? How did she get involved in all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

AllForIt wrote: »
    He hasn't ruined his life...but he is ruining mine.

Is that you Dee ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Dana is telling all that it's still all up in the air.

Money Talks. Dana is a full time hoe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Same way boxing isn’t a sport. It’s a boxing promotion. Boxing never claimed to be a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

mickrock wrote: »
    Dana? How did she get involved in all of this?

She’s kind of a big deal in the ufc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

He looks a bit more subdued now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Apparently a couple of Dagestani's roughed up Lobov and his Russian friends, including later shooting one with a few rubber bullets, cutting another, and just basically slapping a few of them around when they were in Russia

That's why he shut his mouth.

It's not Khabib directly, but clearly there's some seriously sinister guys in the mix here including those with links to Ramzan Kadyrov and/or Ronnie Pickering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not the fastest or largest growing sport globally. It might be in a few places. Which would suggest it is niche. Countries like India and China with massive populations will dictate what the largest growing sport is. Even the concept of PPV will only mean it will be accessible to some.

That's flawed logic though. By that yardstick, despite their popularity and money generating power, huge sports like Baseball are 'niche' also - does that make them as dismissable as MMA, then?

There is really no way around the fact that MMA is a huge sport, worth an enormous amount of money, and it is also growing globally. To say it's niche or irrelevant is entirely wrong.

People also keep confusing UFC with MMA. UFC is just the biggest of the MMA promotors but there are big domestic promoters in Europe, Asia, and competitors in the US like Bellator, etc.

I'm at a loss as to how people can claim it's not a sport. If MMA's not a sport, then Boxing isn't either, nor are any combat 'sports' for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Why do you contradict yourself here? The judge imposed a normal fine as anyone would get in this situation.

Well actually in Norway if you get a fine it will be proportionate to your income. So I think that would be fairness.

They should have giving the **** a hefty fine. Make him think twice before he endangers someone elses life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,146 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They should have giving the **** a hefty fine. Make him think twice before he endangers someone elses life.

What if he has impulsive behavioural issues?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Do you think he does? He should still be punished anyway....treated in parallel.
    He can't just be a bit thick and a wannabe gangster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Wanderer78 wrote: »

The shape of his head has changed in the past couple of years. He has a strange gremlin type head nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,146 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Augeo wrote:
    Do you think he does? He should still be punished anyway....treated in parallel. He can't just be a bit thick and a wannabe gangster?

Yes, I think there's a strong possibility he does, he does have the tendancy to be impulsive, this act certainly shows this, but of course he d have to be properly assessed to confirm. He should of course be 'punished', but should also be assessed for this possibility, and treated accordingly. These issues are common in society, particularly amongst criminal populations

I'd say it's unlikely TBH...... he got to his late 20s without doing anything like this. He was a good boy never in trouble growing up..... just trying too hard to be a gangster esque character now.

Nowadays every kid who is a pain in the hole has their folks claiming they have some behavioural disorder..... sad to see randomers claiming the same for fncktard celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭biggles007

A LUNATIC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Ipso wrote: »
    it's all over the front page, it's giving him roid rage.

Catatonia baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

flas wrote: »
    He is a southsider

and...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 john_galt

Effects wrote: »
    Same way boxing isn’t a sport. It’s a boxing promotion. Boxing never claimed to be a sport.

Sports entertainment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

and...?

He is a west Dubliner . .there IS a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I have just realised I know his co defendant to see. Always semed like a nice guy in my limited experience with him.

Doubt he has anything to worry about money wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

foxyladyxx wrote: »

He was born and raised in Crumlin which is South Dublin. He moved to Lucan in 2006. But in no way is he from West Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Sympathy will be pretty limited for McGregor seeing as he flaunts his wealth in people's faces.
    He probably will get a comeback fight down the line but he could be past his best by then and it might be his final payday.
    In the meantime I hope the UFC sue him for millions in lost revenue and it might soften his cough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yes, and UFC will happily let him walk away from the contract with them to fight McGregor. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

foxyladyxx wrote:

Once again, Crumlin is not in West Dublin. It's Dublin South-Central in electoral terms.

foxyladyxx wrote: »

I never said otherwise.

I have just realised I know his co defendant to see. Always semed like a nice guy in my limited experience with him.

Doubt he has anything to worry about money wise.

He's a scumbag as the videos show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,776 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In the meantime I hope the UFC sue him for millions in lost revenue and it might soften his cough.

I'd say the outrageous amount of publicity, good or bad is more than covering revenue loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I think Sean Kelly's lawyer should have looked at the videos before saying no window was shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭NaFirinne

I just wish that someone that has achieved so much in sport could be a better role model for the kids of Dublin and not behave like the thug that he did.

He has a wonderful opportunity to help so many if he had the heart to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Once again, Crumlin is not in West Dublin. It's Dublin South-Central in electoral terms.

Yeah like this is really important. We all know the North south divide is the Liffey. But what's the east west border? We need to know so we can insult people properly. This is great gas lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement