Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

begbysback wrote: »
    He's a modern day Georgie Best - has already displayed he is a man with real issues, and has made enemies with people who one doesn't take too lightly - won't end well
    Seriously though, has he never seen rocky 3?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What if he has impulsive behavioural issues?

There's an entire massive industry built around this stuff. Nobody is responsible for anything, it's all excused by some 'issue'.

And it's starting in primary or secondary school. ADD, ADHD, EBD, ODD, all 'issues' which essentially give people free reign to do wtf they want as 'they can't help it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

emo72 wrote: »
    Yeah like this is really important. We all know the North south divide is the Liffey. But what's the east west border? We need to know so we can insult people properly. This is great gas lads.

:pac::pac::pac:

Maybe I should've said looks like a knacker instead..:D Then again some people are easily triggered :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Would he not get more street cred. Not bailing himself out and waiting for his trial?.

What

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

joeguevara wrote: »
    He was born and raised in Crumlin which is South Dublin. He moved to Lucan in 2006. But in no way is he from West Dublin.

My post was very much tongue in cheek. I couldn't give a damn about McGregor. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,921 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Maybe I should've said looks like a knacker instead.. Then again some people are easily triggered

Knacker is fine. It's the pedant in me that can't deal with geographical inaccuracies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Thread title is seriously over dramatic.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Knacker is fine. It's the pedant in me that can't deal with geographical inaccuracies!

I'll accept knacker ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Strangely satisfying.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

NaFirinne wrote: »
    I just wish that someone that has achieved so much in sport could be a better role model for the kids of Dublin and not behave like the thug that he did.

He has a wonderful opportunity to help so many if he had the heart to do so.

It's not sportsperson, or celebrity's responsibility to be a child's role model. The line gets trotted out all too often. That's entirely their parents and families job.

It would be great if all were, but it's not his job. Plus he's in a sport where he gets paid a fortune for battering people, not what kids should in reality getting exposed to.

Again, as before I say this as someone who doesn't have much time for MMA or Conor McGregor whatsoever

• Advertisement

He has certainly achieved a lot in his career. I was very surprised though that his popularity did not translate into votes for his sister Erin in Dancing with the Stars,

Perhaps a different socio-demographic viewership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Threads merged and renamed. One thread is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There's an entire massive industry built around this stuff. Nobody is responsible for anything, it's all excused by some 'issue'.

And it's starting in primary or secondary school. ADD, ADHD, EBD, ODD, all 'issues' which essentially give people free reign to do wtf they want as 'they can't help it'.

you should do some research into these issues, relatively common, and very complex, talk to those that have these kind of issues. i have add myself, feel free to ask me anything. those that commit crimes should of course be punished, including me, but successful rehabilitation is critical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

McGregor will see no jail time, will probably have to pay a small fine and wont get any restrictions put on his visa. The UFC wont sue him. If you believe otherwise then you spend too much time on the Dailymail.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think McGregor is a venal thug who will eventually get what he deserves.

20 from now it’ll be interesting to see where he is or how he’s doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    He is a west Dubliner . .there IS a difference.

I never said otherwise.

"Looks like" =/= is. In your own words "there IS a difference".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

chupacabra wrote: »
    McGregor will see no jail time, will probably have to pay a small fine and wont get any restrictions put on his visa. The UFC wont sue him. If you believe otherwise then you spend too much time on the Dailymail.

He'll get a fine and some community service.
    The fighters that got injuried will sue him. They lost their earnings so will definitely want to be reimbursed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I sincerely hope McGregor gets jail time. He is utterly defiant and full of himself. IMO UFC is a so called sport for thugs and worse. He may be the big rich guy at the moment but money can be blown very quickly and in 2038 people may be asking “Conor Who?” Oh yeah that POS that ended up pretty much a down and out. That was a sad tale.

I have my own views on boxing but the less I opine about that the better.

On another note, I’m also very close to being done completely with After Hours. The lightheartedness and banter and reasoned debate is almost all gone out of it and now it’s just a little stagnant pond filled with very angry and very opinionated individuals who love to bicker, shout each other down, rant and generally seem very angry at the world and others around them. The bigotry - particularly die-hard republicans stuck permanently in the early 1970s, the general xenophobia and misogyny and exaltation of drink above all else is really eye opening. There are a few good and decent posters here and I wish them well - if they decide to stick around.

I will continue in other threads that I’m involved on in boards.ie as the discussion does seem to be much more civilised, intelligent and mutually respectful. I’m not finding being on AH good for my mental health and well being. I might add that I’m no novice and a longstanding admin on another Irish web forum.

I don’t care what mud you sling at me. I’ve been here 14 years and I’m on
    a knife edge to waving a permanent goodbye to the sad, angry and bitter forum AH has turned into.

I never said otherwise.

"Looks like" =/= is. In your own words "there IS a difference".

Tongue in cheek man. :cool:

JupiterKid wrote:
    I don’t care what mud you sling at me. I’ve been here 14 years and I’m on a knife edge to waving a permanent goodbye to the sad, angry and bitter forum AH has turned into.

That's a very sad, angry and bitter statement to make.

How ironic...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I sincerely hope McGregor gets jail time. He is utterly defiant and full of himself. IMO UFC is a so called sport for thugs and worse. He may be the big rich guy at the moment but money can be blown very quickly and in 2038 people may be asking “Conor Who?” Oh yeah that POS that ended up pretty much a down and out. That was a sad tale.

On another note, I’m also very close to being done completely with After Hours. The lightheartedness and banter and reasoned debate is almost all gone out of it and now it’s just a little stagnant pond filled with very angry and very opinionated individuals who love to bicker, shout each other down, rant and generally seem very angry at the world and others around them. The bigotry - particularly die-hard republicans stuck permanently in the early 1970s, the general xenophobia and misogyny and exaltation of drink above all else is really eye opening. There are a few good and decent posters here and I wish them well - if they decide to stick around.

I will continue in other threads that I’m involved on in boards.ie as the discussion does seem to be much more civilised, intelligent and mutually respectful. I’m not finding being on AH good for my mental health and well being. I might add that I’m no novice and a longstanding admin on another Irish web forum.

a knife edge to waving a permanent goodbye to the sad, angry and bitter forum AH has turned into.

:confused:

I would say that escalated quickly, but there was nothing to escalate from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

What an incredibly vain self indulgent post. If ya leave good luck. This is the pizz take part of an annoymous online forum in Ireland if you "depart ways" its not Roy Keane in Saipan. No one cares. Some come some go.
    Meh is going to be your response.
    That Going away party and farewell with the processco on tap sadly isnt coming.

14 years eh.
    We were there in the trenches man, bodies flew everywhere we were inches from death man.
    14 years its been!. Brothers in arms baby.

Oh wait your talking about leaving a online forum page whinging that theres too much whinging and 14 years is some "badge of honour".
    No its not. No one cares.
    I for one wont be attending your holier than thou poor me farewell party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

+1 On this
    There's lads on here that will say anything, some are so disrespectful and rude, and it could be about everything and anything... They have a way with words, never attacking the post but in their own disrespectful way attacking the poster in a hateful nasty filthy way that no man would lower themselves to defend..

He has certainly achieved a lot in his career. I was very surprised though that his popularity did not translate into votes for his sister Erin in Dancing with the Stars,

I tried my best one evening to get the MMA forum to get out the vote for her..they were all too cool for 'Dancing with the stars' though..

I tried my best one evening to get the MMA forum to get out the vote for her..they were all too cool for 'Dancing with the stars' though..

Yeah I suspected that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Hell thats some comedy gold right there.did you come up with that all by yourself?

Go Mcplay in the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lol

no one cares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Attention seeking at its finest. GTFO

(I'm here 17 years btw)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

She’s a nobody who comes across as a fake person.Also the media seem to be pushing her as a star when she isn’t

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    She’s a nobody who comes across as a fake person.Also the media seem to be pushing her as a star when she isn’t

I didn't watch that dancing crap but I did see her at one point fabricating some backstory and pontificating about overcoming the odds and how she's some sort of example to those who want to follow their dreams..

To great applause.

Laughable sh:t altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I stopped reading when you said UFC is a sport. Showed how little you know.

Wrote "so called" sport to be fair

chupacabra wrote: »

the 2 fighters on the bus who claim to have been injured and the security guard mentioned in the court will sue him though.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Wrote "so called" sport to be fair

Ufc isn't a sport.

Ufc isn't a sport.

SO CALLED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

True dat. He probably didn’t mean to smash the window though. Irish people don’t get that the US is a much tougher country. Anyway he’s toast.

SO CALLED

Ufc isn't a sport or a so called sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its mma not ufc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It is a sport in the same way a horse has 4 legs, to try to say it's not a sport is like saying the earth is flat, it's a sport that takes a huge amount of hard work and sacrifice to succeed in

McGregor has let his fans down big time, I hope he cares about this but it looks like he has too much money to care

Greyfox wrote: »
    It is a sport in the same way a horse has 4 legs, to try to say it's not a sport is like saying the earth is flat, it's a sport that takes a huge amount of hard work and sacrifice to succeed in

McGregor has let his fans down big time, I hope he cares about this but it looks like he has too much money to care

Ufc is not a sport.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah.. that's rather pedantic.

Ufc is not a sport.

You're racking up the pedant points for sure.

It's not pedantic. It shows how clueless the people giving out about the Ufc are.

It's not pedantic. It shows how clueless the people giving out about the Ufc are.

Fairly certain that they won't care either way. Do you think they consider mma a sport?

Fairly certain that they won't care either way. Do you think they consider mma a sport?

Mma is a sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

UFC is a sports league. MMA is the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Greyfox wrote: »

It's more along the lines of your ma calling every console in the house "The Nintendo."

Mma is a sport the same way Wwe is a sport..

Mma is a sport.

I fail to see what difference it makes to someone who posseses no regard for UFC. If they have zero regard for UFC it's highly unlikely that they have some sort of regard for mma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Mma is a sport the same way Wwe is a sport..

Incorrect.

MMA is a sport, the same way wrestling, jujitsu and boxing is a sport.

UFC is a promotions company, the same way WWE is a promotions company.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement