Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

Mma is a sport the same way Wwe is a sport..

This idiotic opinion seems to be rife now, purely with McGregor antics pre/post fights.

Try telling the that to family of Portuguese mma fighter that was killed after a fight in Dublin couple of years ago.

Wwe is essentially acting with the characters expected to be of a bulky physical frame and have an ability to talk a great game.

Mma is fking dangerous, requiring expertise a variety of physical disciplines, bjj, boxing, proper wrestling etc. Wwe is a entertainment for kids.

How the hell can you compare the two?

People have to separate McGregor the fighter from McGregor the man, whose current behaviour is comparable to a wwe participant outside of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Incorrect.

MMA is a sport, the same way wrestling, jujitsu and boxing is a sport.

UFC is a promotions company, the same way WWE is a promotions company.

It is probably the wrong comparison as WWE would bring in connoctations of theatrics and fakeness. UFC is a promotions company, the same way as Golden Boy Promotions is a promotions Company would probaby be closer as they control a lot of boxers.

Saying that UFC have their own belts whereas a Boxing Promotions Company wouldn't. However, saying that Dana White has come out and said that Laquinta, if he wins would be recognised as the champ by UFC but not the commission as he was 0.2 lb overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Sport of not who cares?.

McGregor is a drug addict but a marketing Genius.

Brand McGregor is huge all us saps texting about him on a Saturday.

Whatever hes doing its working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Yes mma is a sport, try going into Wikipedia and editing that and see if they let the edit go ahead!?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Hopefully this can put him on the straight and narrow. Clean up his act. It's sad for his son to grow up with a father behaving like he does.

I also hope that any of his hangers on who enable him. Such as that McGahan fella get their just deserts.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Sport of not who cares?.

McGregor is a drug addict but a marketing Genius.

Brand McGregor is huge all us saps texting about him on a Saturday.

Whatever hes doing its working.

Drug addict lol
    Bit harsh unless he’s been tested and found positive of drug use

Lets call a spade a spade.

That kid he has should be taken into care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's not pedantic. It shows how clueless the people giving out about the Ufc are.

I jumped the gun, I'd wrongly assumed u were one of those people who try to claim mma is not a sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Jesus christ, you know nothing of their home life, but want to take a child away from his mother because his da is a tit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Maybe a big issue is the types that accompany him.
    This type of man needs people who have self restraint, common sense and the ability to adhere by the law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Maybe a big issue is the types that accompany him.
    This type of man needs people who have self restraint, common sense and the ability to adhere by the law

...is a white powdery substance. All his daw brained actions are in line with using the same, over a long period of time now. Where he's from, or the sport he used to participate in, is fairly irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hopefully this can put him on the straight and narrow. Clean up his act. It's sad for his son to grow up with a father behaving like he does.

I also hope that any of his hangers on who enable him. Such as that McGahan fella get their just deserts.

You've an awful hate hardon for Andrew. At the moment, he's nothing but an innocent party, and a journalist who happened upon a rising star, and made a career out of covering him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My point perfectly proven by a couple of deeply nasty personal posts here. I have more important things to do with my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Tongue in cheek man. :cool:

No

giphy.gif

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Knacker is fine. It's the pedant in me that can't deal with geographical inaccuracies!

I dont give a shiit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

He made bail, $50,000. He's due back in court in June.

• Advertisement

3Z3ggSO.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He's very quiet on Instagram, no posts yesterday or today.

He's very quiet on Instagram, no posts yesterday or today.

He was seen in public in a blue Boyer's Jockey polo shirt- I can't see him coming back from this; I really can't.

JupiterKid wrote:
    My point perfectly proven by a couple of deeply nasty personal posts here. I have more important things to do with my time.

Bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

True dat. He probably didn’t mean to smash the window though. Irish people don’t get that the US is a much tougher country. Anyway he’s toast.

Quoting myself here. I’ve seen the most recent videos and he did mean to smash the glass. Insane lunatic.

• Advertisement

Jesus christ, you know nothing of their home life, but want to take a child away from his mother because his da is a tit?

An unhinged drug addict who flies over and attacks strangers in a foreign country in a premeditated attack.
    Stable to you?.

Prevention is better than cure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

An unhinged drug addict who flies over and attacks strangers in a foreign country in a premeditated attack.
    Stable to you?.

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed dude

Stable to you?.

No Im blunt its better like that.

Tools in the shed eh?. mmmm.
    that time of night eh!.

Stable to you?.

No Im blunt its better like that.

Tools in the shed eh?. mmmm.
    that time of night eh!.

Really looks like he’s in an awful lot of trouble with the police. 😂😂😂

The fact that the footage is in the UFC embedded is bizarre. If it is the worst thing that’s happened in UFC history, it is a surprise that they are promoting it and making money off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Who is an unhinged drug addict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

McGregor was very stupid not to keep his nose out of trouble when it mattered most. Everything & anything has the ability to bite you back in the behind if you didn't keep yourself out of trouble especially in a country like the U.S. Their justice system there is quite tough & miles ahead compared to what he have back here in Ireland. Whatever sentencing that McGregor & his little friends get from court when it returns in June; it will send them a message to never do stuff like that incident again because from either perspective it could be life changing for their own sakes & for keeping their own careers intact. It also should make them change their ways in keeping them out of trouble against other mma competitors in future.

Lot of sh1te in the media about this. Articles saying he could get up to 11 years in jail and armchair lawyers prophesising saying he will be sued for millions.

The low bail and no travel restrictions are the best indication that the court views what happened on the lower end of the scale. Quite likely the felonies will be thrown out and he will get no jail time.

Being sued for millions is also a stretch. The fighters that had to pull out were probably on 50k-100k max. So if successful they would be entitled to that. The scar on Chiesa (if there is one) won’t be a huge payday. He is an MMA fighter not a super model and won’t affect his looks. His ears are in worse shape already.

UFC are the biggest party who can sue. but only for loss of earnings. Their revenue has probably increase. PPVs are probably higher and they will be getting residual revenue from UFC embedded. Where is the major loss of earnings that they can attribute to McGregor.

I think what he did was a disgrace but the vitriol aimed at him is bizarre. He’s a fighter. A trained killer. He is not a teacher or a nurse.

Finally, people talking about criminal convictions and being refused a visa. He is not a student going on a J1 or a brickie going to work. There is loads of precedents of sports stars, rock stars and movie stars getting in with criminal convictions no hassle. Adam Clayton, Hugh grant was caught with a hooker, kiever Sutherland assault.

Won’t be a walk in the park but it won’t hamper him. My thoughts for right or wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

joeguevara wrote: »
    Lot of sh1te in the media about this. Articles saying he could get up to 11 years in jail and armchair lawyers prophesising saying he will be sued for millions.

The low bail and no travel restrictions are the best indication that the court views what happened on the lower end of the scale. Quite likely the felonies will be thrown out and he will get no jail time.

Being sued for millions is also a stretch. The fighters that had to pull out were probably on 50k-100k max. So if successful they would be entitled to that. The scar on Chiesa (if there is one) won’t be a huge payday. He is an MMA fighter not a super model and won’t affect his looks. His ears are in worse shape already.

UFC are the biggest party who can sue. but only for loss of earnings. Their revenue has probably increase. PPVs are probably higher and they will be getting residual revenue from UFC embedded. Where is the major loss of earnings that they can attribute to McGregor.

I think what he did was a disgrace but the vitriol aimed at him is bizarre. He’s a fighter. A trained killer. He is not a teacher or a nurse.

Finally, people talking about criminal convictions and being refused a visa. He is not a student going on a J1 or a brickie going to work. There is loads of precedents of sports stars, rock stars and movie stars getting in with criminal convictions no hassle. Adam Clayton, Hugh grant was caught with a hooker, kiever Sutherland assault.

Won’t be a walk in the park but it won’t hamper him. My thoughts for right or wrong.

Dana said in an interview that they only had 253 ticket refunds and he expects them to sell now that there's a new yorker fighting for the title. If they did sue McGregor, all the messing about with the main event would have to be taken into consideration for any loss of earnings. McGregor is only responsible for 2 fights getting cancelled (Artem got himself pulled) so how much have they really lost as a result of McGregor's actions? Saying that, I'd say it's unlikely they'll sue him any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

McGregor could sue Dana

• Advertisement

robwen wrote: »
    McGregor could sue Dana

The drugs comment was a mistake by Dana. It is the main bargaining chip that Conor will have. Dana let himself down and let emotions rule his head.

At the time their were a lot of inaccuracies e.g. warrant out for his arrest, drugs, 30 thugs etc.

Defamation could be on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

McGregor could sue Dana

The drugs comment was a mistake by Dana. It is the main bargaining chip that Conor will have. Dana let himself down and let emotions rule his head.

At the time their were a lot of inaccuracies e.g. warrant out for his arrest, drugs, 30 thugs etc.

Defamation could be on the cards.
    he has absolutely no case for defamation here and if you think that you don't understand the law.

for starters Dana didn't say 'he definitely was on drugs' he basically wondered aloud if he was, because he couldn't fathom him behaving that way otherwise.

and even if he said 'Conor was definitely on coke that day', for it to be proven as defamation he would have to prove he wasn't on drugs that day, which he can't unless he took a drug test within the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I think Chiesa will argue that this was his opportunity to shine and increase his profile in the event of a good performance. Conor robbed him if that etc. I think he will get much more that 100k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

So if McGregor is convicted of assault in a country like USA, surely he wont be allowed set foot back on American soil, given how strict their laws are? Or, as I suspect, will they make an exception for him because of who he is?

If Joe Soap did that, they would be thrown head first into a cell and marched to the first plane home, with a permanent record against them.:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

McGregor could sue Dana

Cmon, All Kinds Of Everything wasn't that bad.

He was seen in public in a blue Boyer's Jockey polo shirt- I can't see him coming back from this; I really can't.

I wouldn't be too sure, Khabib is calling him out and the revenue from that fight would be huge considering what happened this week.

Money talks and White knows McGregor is a cash cow for the UFC despite what happened.

He let himself down badly though, I know he was always hated by the posh middle classes but it always seemed that behind all the trash talk he was a sound bloke who worked hard to make his money.

No defending him his actions this week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Sad to see McGregors parents come out today and basically defend their son despite his scumbag thuggy actions. "Its in our DNA" and "Love you, son" was all they had to say.

Awful reply. I know they were never going to come right out and condemn him but to basically approve 100% of his actions make them come across very bad. He really needs to cop on, and a young son at home, is this the kind of thing he wants his kid to see when he grows up. Clown.

Sad to see McGregors parents come out today and basically defend their son despite his scumbag thuggy actions. "Its in our DNA" and "Love you, son" was all they had to say.

Awful reply. I know they were never going to come right out and condemn him but to basically approve 100% of his actions make them come across very bad. He really needs to cop on, and a young son at home, is this the kind of thing he wants his kid to see when he grows up. Clown.

he's a meal ticket for the folks as well. they don't want to be cut out of the dosh while it's still there. sad to see.
    but that's what can happen.
    look at the tracksuit zombie brigade that he has amassed with him at the helm.

getting dropped by the sponsors already - betsafe cut their mcgregor ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

glasso wrote: »
    he's a meal ticket for the folks as well. they don't want to be cut out of the dosh while it's still there. sad to see.
    but that's what can happen.
    look at the tracksuit zombie brigade that he has amassed with him at the helm.

getting dropped by the sponsors already - betsafe cut their mcgregor ad.

Just because they didn't run the ad doesn't mean he has been dropped by them.

As far as I am aware, none of his sponsors have cut ties with him as of yet.

• Advertisement

So if McGregor is convicted of assault in a country like USA, surely he wont be allowed set foot back on American soil, given how strict their laws are? Or, as I suspect, will they make an exception for him because of who he is?

If Joe Soap did that, they would be thrown head first into a cell and marched to the first plane home, with a permanent record against them.:rolleyes:

no doubt an exception will be made somehow.
    the ufc will not want him blocked either as they are under financial pressure and not living up to the huge purchase price paid for the company so they will seek to use mcgregor while they still need him.
    khabib-mcgregor would be a big fight if mcgregor actually has the balls to step into the cage against him.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Just because they didn't run the ad doesn't mean he has been dropped by them.

As far as I am aware, none of his sponsors have cut ties with him as of yet.

they will. or will just let the contracts run out.
    no way burger king want a thug life trackie who throws large metal objects at people being linked to them.

he did throw that hand-truck / trolley with good strength tho.

the rumour going around is that his cocaine was cut with creatine :D

Really looks like he’s in an awful lot of trouble with the police. 😂😂😂

The fact that the footage is in the UFC embedded is bizarre. If it is the worst thing that’s happened in UFC history, it is a surprise that they are promoting it and making money off it.

I think thats an old photo

Theyre not going to say sh!t to him when they're getting their new BMWs every year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

and even if he said 'Conor was definitely on coke that day', for it to be proven as defamation he would have to prove he wasn't on drugs that day, which he can't unless he took a drug test within the last day.

Eh, it doesn't work like that. If you make a statement about someone that could be discriminatory, it's up to you to prove what you said is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Eh, it doesn't work like that. If you make a statement about someone that could be discriminatory, it's up to you to prove what you said is true.

They don't have BS libel laws in the states like we have.

So it would be almost impossible to sue over those comments.

• Advertisement

Dr Brown wrote: »
    They don't have BS libel laws in the states like we have.

So it would be almost impossible to sue over those comments.

A clean drugs test would show comments aren’t true. Cocaine leaves system in 24 hours. Think it could be used as a bargaining chip to maybe persuade UFC to be lenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

The mention of salt is a common retort by fans of McGregor when anyone dare point out that he is overhyped in a niche sport.

Ya and people criticising an entire sport they have probably never tried and the accomplishments of someone who they have never met is a common retort of begrudgers. Waft of jealousy off some people.
    Oh and please point out where I said I'm a fan

Ya and people criticising an entire sport they have probably never tried and the accomplishments of someone who they have never met is a common retort of begrudgers. Waft of jealousy off some people.
    Oh and please point out where I said I'm a fan

yeah everybody wants to be this guy.
    the face on him.

444.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Skipping through the last few pages lots of speculation has been thrown around. A few things:
    • The 'tracksuit zombie brigade' are actually SBG/MMA fighters. Not random hangers on/lads from Crumlin like some suspect/reporting. You can even see Charlie Ward (neck tattoo), Dillon Danis, and Cian Cowley in the bus video.
    • None of his sponsors have dropped out as of yet.
    • He will not go to prison over this. For some perspective this is minor compared to what other celebrities have done. If he was given such light bail and his passport back, he's very unlikely to get a custodial sentence. A fine and community service is the most likely.
    • He will not lose his work Visa, he's a multimillionaire celebrity that brings millions into the U.S. If Kiefer Sutherland can get caught drink driving 5 times and head butt fashion designers, Conor McGregor can smash his employers bus window.
    • It's unlikely now that the UFC will sue for lost earnings due to the three cancelled fights. As reported they did surprisingly better than expected so Dana has calmed down.

The law is not his worry. What Conor has to worry about is a potential civil suit from the MMA fighters on the bus, especially Ray Borg and Michael Chiesa, and then the potential consequences from The New York State Athletic Commission. However currently McGregor isn't even registered with them, because he wasn't fighting Saturday night. So they can't fine him even if they wanted to.

The worst they can do is refuse McGregor his license when he replies, but that only stops him from fighting in NY. Most of his fights are in Vegas.

There was a lawyer from New York on Matt Coopers show about half an hour ago and he said the charges aren't that bad at all.

According to this guy he will have to pay for the damage to the bus and that should be enough for the owner and even if the 2 fighters do sue him they wouldn't get much more than 10 grand out of him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement