Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Is there any truth to the rumour McGregor's whiskey is named after his mental age?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Is there any truth to the rumour McGregor's whiskey is named after his mental age?

Careful now, that might be seen as begrudgery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

His buddy Daniel won't be able to go see him fight now. Poor lad.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3126147/christy-kinahan-daniel-banned-entering-america/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

McGregor has injured his foot - fight to be called off tomorrow

Beverly Hills, California

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

McGregor has injured his foot - fight to be called off tomorrow

We can all laugh at this tomorrow, and on Oct 6. Why even bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

"I want to grow up to be just like Conor McGregor" (what a society we live in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I've only managed about 8 mins of this press conference before I had to turn off!!! McGregor is making a fool of himself. He is also showing how much he is emotionally invested in this fight and for the first time the opposition has gotten into his head.
    I've already said he will lose but I'm even more convinced now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The disturbing thing is, some adults actually look up to him, he's as thick as ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The disturbing thing is, some adults actually look up to him, he's as thick as ****

He's a moronic, cretinous pox of the highest f**king order and anyone who holds him up as role model needs a serious word had with themselves.

• Advertisement

Good to see McGregor doing his bit to dispel stereotypes.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

He's a moronic, cretinous pox of the highest f**king order and anyone who holds him up as role model needs a serious word had with themselves.

This is the reaction I love.

This is the reaction I love.

I just calls em as I sees em.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Completely agree. I've though this from the very beginning - but in the early days a very large number of people hailed him as a hero and role model. I used to get lambasted for saying anything bad about him - for being anti Irish. Jesus wept.

Cretins and morons don't get to the very top of their business and they don't make the money he has made so sorry, you're wrong.

Cretins and morons don't get to the very top of their business and they don't make the money he has made so sorry, you're wrong.

Oh diddums, did I slag off your pal ?

He's not in charge of a Fortune 500 ffs - he hits people!!

He's Tom Cullen from The Stand with a decent agent.

Oh diddums, did I slag off your pal ?

He's not in charge of a Fortune 500 ffs - he hits people!!

Ah sweet, I bet that sounded really clever anyway!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I love the way people try to proclaim that just because he's made loads of money it excuses the absolutely disgraceful behaviour we see every day. He's a scumbag. A rich scumbag is still a scumbag. Money does not automatically make someone a great person. Money just accentuates the person you already are.

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    I love the way people try to proclaim that just because he's made loads of money it excuses the absolutely disgraceful behaviour we see every day. He's a scumbag. A rich scumbag is still a scumbag. Money does not automatically make someone a great person. Money just accentuates the person you already are.

Scumbag? Most likely.

Moron and a cretin? Most definitely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Mike Tyson made a pile of money and was at the top of his business for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Don't look up to him and am not a fan of some of his behaviour. But that doesn't mean I'm pig ignorant enough to not give credit where credit is due. The guy is likely smarter than you and I and has done very well for himself and will continue to do so. He just has that winning mindset.

Nope. Not wrong. I admire McGregor for his ability and his determination. If that is what inspires people then yes, he is a great role model. But as a person (or the persona that he makes public), he is odious and a scumbag who is detestable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

He's as thick as ****

He wouldn't be where he is now if he was as thick as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Effects wrote: »

Do you think Donald Trump is a particularly clever individual??

• Advertisement

So every rich and successful person is incredibly smart? Come on. Luck & timing have a lot a lot more to do with success than you think in many cases..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Was sorely disappointed to hear this lad's voice on the radio again this morning.

I thought he'd gone to ground.

Is he capable of speaking in any manner that isn't vile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He is where he is because he is good at hitting people. You dont need to be a mensa candidate for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Don't look up to him and am not a fan of some of his behaviour. But that doesn't mean I'm pig ignorant enough to not give credit where credit is due. The guy is likely smarter than you and I and has done very well for himself and will continue to do so. He just has that winning mindset.

jaysis, ive obviously stepped into the twilight zone, wow, humanity really is slipping. seriously folks, its clearly obvious, this chap isnt the sharpest tool, listen to young lads going on about him, hes not a particularly good role model for such people, wouldnt surprise me if he lost most of his money.

jaysis, ive obviously stepped into the twilight zone, wow, humanity really is slipping. seriously folks, its clearly obvious, this chap isnt the sharpest tool, listen to young lads going on about him, hes not a particularly good role model for such people, wouldnt surprise me if he lost most of his money.

Oh it's coming. Flash Harry's like him usually end up potless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Oh it's coming. Flash Harry's like him usually end up potless.

And so what if he does? He still reached the top and nobody can take that from him. I am massively entertained by his shtick and fighting. So what if he acts brash and arrogant. He fights in a cage for money for fcuks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

He is where he is because he is good at hitting people. You dont need to be a mensa candidate for that.

Jermaine Pennant made tonnes of money from sport. He's obviously smarter than everyone posting on this thread too.

The fact that he's illiterate is immaterial. Worship him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

McGregor kicks the **** out of people in a metal cage for money yet people expect him to go around acting like ghandi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

McGregor kicks the **** out of people in a metal cage for money yet people expect him to go around acting like ghandi

Yeah I understand the pre-fight bravado. But hanging around with well-known criminals and just having an air of 'look at me kids I don't give a fook. You can be like me' about him in periods when he isn't preparing for a fight suggests that yeah he is a bit of a knack.

A role model. For kids already going down the wrong path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Oh diddums...

M-O-O-N! That spells "cocaine"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Plenty of people are good at hitting people. It's not just that, that made him the star he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

No that's not it,
    We know hes a knacker, its the people who are defending his knackery ways and putting them down to him being smarter than everyone else, him playing the game, its a persona etc that are pretending that hes not a knacker.

And worse still glorifying that behavior as "Hilarious". I didn't laugh at one single thing he said, he is not witty or humorous but to listen to people here you would think hes some sort of Frankie Boyle level comedian.
    I do wonder if people genuinely laugh or just text LOL after it without cracking a smile which is what happens with most hilarious internet videos these days.

And to say he is smarter than most is complete bollox too but he is definitely smarter than the people who think he is hilarious and deadly for saying the things he said.

He is a great fighter, I'll give him that but he appears to be a terrible human being. If anyone around me acted like that I wouldn't hang around them. If you would let someone like that in your company you're either a scumbag or an idiot.
    Its the same people hes pandering to with this ****e that will have a bottle of McGregor whiskey on the top of their Christmas list this year so they can take pictures with it to put up on their Facebook thinking it gives them some sort of cool factor and by god there's plenty of those out there.
    He's not smart but he is smarter than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its gas, to expect someone who fights in a cage to be a role model is pretty dumb in itself

Plenty of people are good at hitting people. It's not just that, that made him the star he is.
    And there are plenty of other, bigger stars that dont need to act like this.
    People are making it sound like this is the only way he would have got to his level of fame and its simply not true.
    The McGregor before the Mayweather fight was a lot better than this current iteration. Still had massive faults and I still didn't like him but he was well on his way to being as famous as he is now without everything since.

elefant wrote: »
    Jermaine Pennant made tonnes of money from sport. He's obviously smarter than everyone posting on this thread too.

The fact that he's illiterate is immaterial. Worship him!

Is Jermaine Pennant a business man and a multi millionaire who was regarded as one of the best ever footballers? Is he a man who can get most of the world talking by just opening his mouth therfore ensuring even more money comes his way?

McGregor is a very intelligent man and to think otherwise just shows how clueless you and people like you are.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its gas, to expect someone who fights in a cage to be a role model is pretty dumb in itself

Yeah I agree, Looking to him as a role model is stupid.
    Its people simply saying this is acceptable behavior and applauding what he does is the issue.
    I dont care about him being a role model, its more the fact that a large section of society think his behavior is something to be revered and think he is great craic for acting like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

seannash wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, Looking to him as a role model is stupid.
    Its people simply saying this is acceptable behavior and applauding what he does is the issue.
    I dont care about him being a role model, its more the fact that a large section of society think his behavior is something to be revered and think he is great craic for acting like this.

Well he is. He is watched because he is entertaining. Now it can be car crash viewing like the start of last nights presser but its still entertaining. The whole reason we watch anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

And there are plenty of other, bigger stars that dont need to act like this.
    People are making it sound like this is the only way he would have got to his level of fame and its simply not true.
    The McGregor before the Mayweather fight was a lot better than this current iteration. Still had massive faults and I still didn't like him but he was well on his way to being as famous as he is now without everything since.

I agree with you to a degree. I much prefer the McGregor of old too. He still has his moments and there were a few funny moments from him last night. However, he's the only MMA fighter I've heard a lot of people who have no interest in MMA talk about. When all that mad shít about him beating up some fella in a pub was doing the rounds, loads of my friends and people in work were talking about it. Even the people who I've never heard talk about McGregor at all.

As much as I don't like the antics, they do get his name out there and get people talking about him. More so than what he was like in the Aldo days, or at least in my opinion.

I agree with you to a degree. I much prefer the McGregor of old too. He still has his moments and there were a few funny moments from him last night. However, he's the only MMA fighter I've heard a lot of people who have no interest in MMA talk about. When all that mad shabout him beating up some fella in a pub was doing the rounds, loads of my friends and people in work were talking about it. Even the people who I've never heard talk about McGregor at all.

As much as I don't like the antics, they do get his name out there and get people talking about him. More so than what he was like in the Aldo days, or at least in my opinion.

Exactly! Buyrates folks, Buyrates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Is Jermaine Pennant a business man and a multi millionaire who was regarded as one of the best ever footballers? Is he a man who can get most of the world talking by just opening his mouth therfore ensuring even more money comes his way?

McGregor is a very intelligent man and to think otherwise just shows how clueless you and people like you are.

Jesus wept. MMA is a very niche sport. The world in general doesn't give a shiny shite about MMA or McGregor. He's hardly Messi, Woods, Schumacher or LeBron James.

Jesus wept. MMA is a very niche sport. The world in general doesn't give a shiny shite about MMA or McGregor. He's hardly Messi, Woods, Schumacher or LeBron James.

You're right, that's why so many people here with zero interest and knowledge of MMA are here talking about him. He's a bigger star than Schumacher ever was ffs. Jesus does indeed weep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Woods, Schumacher

Haven't heard a relevant interview from these two lately, interesting you had to mention two standouts from different eras in the sport. Lewis Hamilton and Justin Rose weren't good enough for your argument? ;)

That actually proves his point more so. Up until McGregor came along most people couldn't name a single pro MMA fighter, a lot of people probably didn't even know it was a sport. It's a niche sport, you wouldn't expect them to. Now, it's a different story. Plently of people know who McGregor is, most probably don't know any other pro MMA fighters or maybe know of the ones McGregor has fought.

He's a Tiger Woods in the sense that people like me who don't know a thing about Golf know who Tiger Woods is. It's the same with McGregor. People who've never watched the sport or know anything about it know who he is. I'd argue he's even more of a star than the like of Tiger Woods, LeBron James etc. as they are stars in popular sports and most people could name a couple of golfers or basketball players, whereas with MMA most people just know McGregor and if they know anyone else it is likely because of McGregor e.g. Aldo, Diaz, Khabib etc.

That actually proves his point more so. Up until McGregor came along most people couldn't name a single pro MMA fighter, a lot of people probably didn't even know it was a sport. It's a niche sport, you wouldn't expect them to. Now, it's a different story. Plently of people know who McGregor is, most probably don't know any other pro MMA fighters or maybe know of the ones McGregor has fought.

He's a Tiger Woods in the sense that people like me who don't know a thing about Golf know who Tiger Woods is. It's the same with McGregor. People who've never watched the sport or know anything about it know who he is. I'd argue he's even more of a star than the like of Tiger Woods, LeBron James etc. as they are stars in popular sports and most people could name a couple of golfers or basketball players, whereas with MMA most people just know McGregor and if they know anyone else it is likely because of McGregor e.g. Aldo, Diaz, Khabib etc.
    I'd agree but the others you mentioned never acted like complete and utter trash to bring them fame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

No that's not it,
    We know hes a knacker, its the people who are defending his knackery ways and putting them down to him being smarter than everyone else, him playing the game, its a persona etc that are pretending that hes not a knacker.

And worse still glorifying that behavior as "Hilarious". I didn't laugh at one single thing he said, he is not witty or humorous but to listen to people here you would think hes some sort of Frankie Boyle level comedian.
    I do wonder if people genuinely laugh or just text LOL after it without cracking a smile which is what happens with most hilarious internet videos these days.

And to say he is smarter than most is complete bollox too but he is definitely smarter than the people who think he is hilarious and deadly for saying the things he said.

He is a great fighter, I'll give him that but he appears to be a terrible human being. If anyone around me acted like that I wouldn't hang around them. If you would let someone like that in your company you're either a scumbag or an idiot.
    Its the same people hes pandering to with this ****e that will have a bottle of McGregor whiskey on the top of their Christmas list this year so they can take pictures with it to put up on their Facebook thinking it gives them some sort of cool factor and by god there's plenty of those out there.
    He's not smart but he is smarter than them.

I am going to conduct a social experiment in the lead up to the fight. I am going to get a group of similarly aged lads that should be mature enough to behave on a night out, one of which is a McGregor fan, and witness their antics during a few beers. I am fairly confident the McGregorite will be the fella doing at least one of the following:

- shouting 'Wahey' if someone smashes a glass.

-leering on every young one in the vicinity.

-showing his latest 'hilarious' racist/homophobic video on his phone.

-getting increasingly louder as the night progresses.

He's spawning a new breed of immature man children.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement