Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I am going to conduct a social experiment in the lead up to the fight. I am going to get a group of similarly aged lads that should be mature enough to behave on a night out, one of which is a McGregor fan, and witness their antics during a few beers. I am fairly confident the McGregorite will be the fella doing at least one of the following:

- shouting 'Wahey' if someone smashes a glass.

-leering on every young one in the vicinity.

-showing his latest 'hilarious' racist/homophobic video on his phone.

-getting increasingly louder as the night progresses.

He's spawning a new breed of immature man children.

Ask your man can I come too, He sounds like great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I am going to conduct a social experiment in the lead up to the fight. I am going to get a group of similarly aged lads that should be mature enough to behave on a night out, one of which is a McGregor fan, and witness their antics during a few beers. I am fairly confident the McGregorite will be the fella doing at least one of the following:

Are you genuinely trying to say that none of these things happened prior to McGregor getting famous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

have to laugh at people getting offended by what a prizefighter says

trash talk has always been part of the fight game, just go back and listen to what Ali said about Frazier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

He is to be admired for his work ethic, and dedication to becoming the best in the world at what he does.

He is to be derided for his other actions that endanger others, and for some comments he has made. Most are harmless and just used to sell tickets, and PPVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That's a whole new level of dickheadary in one post... I hope your monocle doesn't fall out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

boring, unpleasant & irritating pretty much sums him up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He's so lucky getting to go out with you on a night out, sounds amazing.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You're right, that's why so many people here with zero interest and knowledge of MMA are here talking about him. He's a bigger star than Schumacher ever was ffs. Jesus does indeed weep.

Dont assume that everybody who thinks mcgregor is a dick is new to MMA. I was watching UFC when it was legal to punch your opponent in the balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Like McGregor as a fighter not so much as his behaviour in periods away from the octagon/ring
    He is where he is because he is good at hitting people. You dont need to be a mensa candidate for that.

He is where he is because of the promotion and the level of hatred and support he generates from the general public. He's a good fighter but his promo stuff is what makes him stand out as an attraction to the main stream. He's not a mensa candidate but he knows what makes money in the business he works in and no one else in the UFC get anywhere near the same attention as he does.
    Zascar wrote: »
    I love the way people try to proclaim that just because he's made loads of money it excuses the absolutely disgraceful behaviour we see every day. He's a scumbag. A rich scumbag is still a scumbag. Money does not automatically make someone a great person. Money just accentuates the person you already are.

Some people say that, hell i might have even have said that in years gone by but some of links he has recently are less than inspiring. That said his behaviour is part of his success. I dont condone his behaviour but that's what makes him hugely successful. People pay to see him win and others pay to see him lose because he's so polarizing.

Mayweather fighting him last year was bizarre but only McGregor and his smack talk could make a fight like that seem like anything other than a foregone conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

seannash wrote: »
    I'd agree but the others you mentioned never acted like complete and utter trash to bring them fame.

The others don't fight in a cage. He could have gone the humble route but then he'd be where Joe Duffy is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Rory28 wrote: »
    The others don't fight in a cage. He could have gone the humble route but then he'd be where Joe Duffy is.

That's not true, you can have bravado without going to the level Mc Gregor goes to. Its not a case of your either an over the top twat or a humble guy.

And even I will admit that McGregor being a better fighter than Duffy is an important factor in the level of success he has.

And even I will admit that McGregor being a better fighter than Duffy is an important factor in the level of success he has.

Being a good or great fighter doesn't always translate to the success McGregor has. Look at Mighty Mouse or really anyone that's not McGregor, Brock Lesnar or Jon Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

His whiskey is the dregs that Bushmills wouldn't put into their own bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bot43

I hope he dies before the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Being a good or great fighter doesn't always translate to the success McGregor has. Look at Mighty Mouse or really anyone that's not McGregor, Brock Lesnar or Jon Jones.
    I said it was a factor, not the sole reason.
    Mighty Mouse is in a weight division that doesn't lend itself to knockouts which the causal fan likes to see.
    As for the other two its hard to measure the level of fame they have. Lesnar had a huge following from the WWE and for all we know John Jones could be absolutely huge in Japan,Brazil etc etc.

Rhonda Rousey was incredibly famous at her peak in the USA.

Timing has a lot to do with it. Look at how long the heavyweight boxing division languished in ambiguity until recently when interesting fights came along.
    Are the over the top antics really making a bigger difference than the slightly annoying antics he got up to pre Mayweather. I dont think so. I think its completely unnecessary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Any chance of the thread f**king of to the MMA section ?

Like snorting Midazolam some of it.

Any chance of the thread f**king of to the MMA section ?

Like snorting Midazolam some of it.

or you know. dont click on the thread? just a thought now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I've nothing bad to say about McGregor. It's his sad fans who i'm sorry for.

Duped.

I said it was a factor, not the sole reason.
    Mighty Mouse is in a weight division that doesn't lend itself to knockouts which the causal fan likes to see.
    As for the other two its hard to measure the level of fame they have. Lesnar had a huge following from the WWE and for all we know John Jones could be absolutely huge in Japan,Brazil etc etc.

Rhonda Rousey was incredibly famous at her peak in the USA.

Timing has a lot to do with it. Look at how long the heavyweight boxing division languished in ambiguity until recently when interesting fights came along.
    Are the over the top antics really making a bigger difference than the slightly annoying antics he got up to pre Mayweather. I dont think so. I think its completely unnecessary

I see where you're coming from and I agree to an extent. I miss old McGregor too. On the up he was more entertaining. That could be because he was more hungry for it or because he wasn't so famous. He will be the same as a he always is when the cage door closes tho so we have that to look forward too.

Duped.

The amount of gobsh1tes that say this. What are we being duped into?

• Advertisement

You're admitting to being a fan??? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Duped.

That McGregor or the sport he’s involved in actually matters.

You're admitting to being a fan??? :D:D:D

Of course I'm a fan. Why else would I be on the The Conor McGregor Thread?
    Motivator wrote: »
    That McGregor or the sport he’s involved in actually matters.

Nothing matters dude. Its just TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

He does talk some shíte, some of it pretty controversial and act like a Luas Red Line knackbag sometimes but people forget all he cares about is selling the fight, which he has to do on his own pretty much this time and he done a great job of it last night. Love him or hate him, we're all talking about him and I'd say this fight will push 2M PPV buys after last nights antics which, at the end of the day, is all he cares about. Not defending him as such but I can see why he acted like he did from a business POV. Plus, American lap this sort of WWE style role-play stuff up.

elefant wrote: »
    Jermaine Pennant made tonnes of money from sport. He's obviously smarter than everyone posting on this thread too.

The fact that he's illiterate is immaterial. Worship him!

McGregor is a very intelligent man and to think otherwise just shows how clueless you and people like you are.

I don’t watch MMA or UFC, never have an I never will. The fact that McGregor is headline news is the only knowledge I have of the sport. One thing is unquestionable is he’s obviously able to fight, his record is pretty good. One thing that is questionable is branding McGregor “intelligent”. He’s far from it, his entourage and management team are the intelligent ones. He’s a very good actor and he plays the part of a villain very well but anyone with any bit of cop on can see this fella hasn’t a brain in his head. George Bush was president of the USA for 4 years and he can barely string a sentence together - like McGregor. The people McGregor pays to write his pre fight scripts and his commercial team are the actual intelligent people.

Let’s not forget, there’s lots of people getting very rich off of McGregor’s success. The man is a glorified puppet who is being passed around by agents and commercial entities and then is sent off into the ring every few months to have a fight to keep himself semi relevant. There’s no great mystery to it, Conor McGregor marketing is like feeding time at the zoo. His advisors and marketing team are the real hero’s in all this and they’re laughing their arses off at those that fall over themselves to get the latest McGregor collectible which in this moment in time is a bottle of piss branded as Whiskey which will retail at £39.95. Kudos to you McGregor marketing team - kudos!

elefant wrote: »
    Jermaine Pennant made tonnes of money from sport. He's obviously smarter than everyone posting on this thread too.

The fact that he's illiterate is immaterial. Worship him!

McGregor is a very intelligent man and to think otherwise just shows how clueless you and people like you are.

I don’t watch MMA or UFC, never have and I never will. The fact that McGregor is headline news is the only knowledge I have of the sport. One thing is unquestionable is he’s obviously able to fight, his record is pretty good. One thing that is questionable is branding McGregor as “intelligent”. He’s far from it, his entourage and management team are the intelligent ones. He’s a very good actor and he plays the part of a villain very well but anyone with any bit of cop on can see this fella hasn’t a brain in his head. George Bush was president of the USA for 4 years and he can barely string a sentence together - like McGregor. The people McGregor pays to write his pre fight scripts and his commercial team are the actual intelligent people.

Let’s not forget, there’s lots of people getting very rich off of McGregor’s success. The man is a glorified puppet who is being passed around by agents and commercial entities and then is sent off into the ring every few months to have a fight to keep himself semi relevant. There’s no great mystery to it, Conor McGregor marketing is like feeding time at the zoo. His advisors and marketing team are the real hero’s in all this and they’re laughing their arses off at those that fall over themselves to get the latest McGregor collectible which in this moment in time is a bottle of piss branded as Whiskey which will retail at £39.95. Kudos to you McGregor marketing team - kudos!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I don’t watch MMA or UFC, never have an I never will. ...........

Why so?

Odhinn wrote: »
    Why so?

More relevant why is he in a thread about an MMA fighter if he has no interest?

Me thinks its a bit of begrudgery

bot43 wrote:
    I hope he dies before the fight.

O......k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

This is hype right?

Why so?

More relevant why is he in a thread about an MMA fighter if he has no interest?

Me thinks its a bit of begrudgery

Begrudgery? What would I begrudge him of? His fame? His money? His cars? His jewelerry?

I wouldn’t begrudge anybody in any walk of life anything. He followed his dream and he got where he wanted to be and I’ve no doubt surpassed what he expected to get out of life. Why would I bregrudge anybody anything? I’ve a wife, a child, a good job, my own house and I don’t have to worry about money. I couldn’t ask for any more in life. This “begrudger” argument that’s thrown around when it comes to McGregor is a cop out and a lazy comment that people who can’t actually hold debate love to throw around. Good man, fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Haven't heard a relevant interview from these two lately, interesting you had to mention two standouts from different eras in the sport. Lewis Hamilton and Justin Rose weren't good enough for your argument? ;)

Woods is one of the biggest names in golf still. He's recently (in less than a year) gone from ranked 1199 to 26th and made the US Ryder Cup team.

I'm not into F1, wouldn't know many drivers, but i still know who Schumacher is.

Hamilton and Rose may currently be the best at their sports, but they aren't worldwide names who transcend their sports like the ones I mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I don’t watch MMA or UFC, never have and I never will. The fact that McGregor is headline news is the only knowledge I have of the sport. One thing is unquestionable is he’s obviously able to fight, his record is pretty good. One thing that is questionable is branding McGregor as “intelligent”. He’s far from it, his entourage and management team are the intelligent ones. He’s a very good actor and he plays the part of a villain very well but anyone with any bit of cop on can see this fella hasn’t a brain in his head. George Bush was president of the USA for 4 years and he can barely string a sentence together - like McGregor. The people McGregor pays to write his pre fight scripts and his commercial team are the actual intelligent people.

It's very clear that you have an idea of who McGregor is, but you're wrong.

1 agent.
    His Entourage are a bunch of fools and hangers on.
    Still the same coach and manager since before his rise in the UFC.
    He didn't fight for 2 years, and is still very relevant, in fact moved up a position in the P4P stakes.
    He's been the same brazen character since he adopted the Notorious moniker, but hasn't always been like that.
    McGregor is his marketing team. Or at least was, he was the one getting his name on everyones lips. And like him, or loathe him, you do know his name.

Begrudgery? What (...............). Good man, fair play to you.

Why would you never watch MMA?

Begrudgery? What would I begrudge him of? His fame? His money? His cars? His jewelerry?

I wouldn’t begrudge anybody in any walk of life anything. He followed his dream and he got where he wanted to be and I’ve no doubt surpassed what he expected to get out of life. Why would I bregrudge anybody anything? I’ve a wife, a child, a good job, my own house and I don’t have to worry about money. I couldn’t ask for any more in life. This “begrudger” argument that’s thrown around when it comes to McGregor is a cop out and a lazy comment that people who can’t actually hold debate love to throw around. Good man, fair play to you.

why have a debate about something you have no interest in? why are you here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

He's been the same brazen character since he adopted the Notorious moniker, but hasn't always been like that.
    McGregor is his marketing team.

This is exactly right. Go read McGregor's post here on boards back in the day. Long before the height of fame, still fighting for buttons in wee halls in Ireland but that post had some comedy gold in it.

And his 2 most quoted jabs were off the cuff responses to insults from opponents.

That's why I was disappointed in last night. Whilst I agree he's obnoxious, and his bus attack was an underpunished disgrace, he usually delivers some great one liners and laughs.

Last night though he was just drunk and shouty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Steve F wrote: »
    This is hype right?

Dont believe it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not sure why that is anything surprising. Lots of people dislike combat sports. My wife hates it, although she did go to UFC 95 with me.

What does annoy me though is people who watch boxing but call MMA savage and look down their nose at it.

If you're gonna rant and rave and compare him to George Bush(W I assume, since you basically said he's an idiot) then at least know how long he was president of the US for.

And do you really think he has people writing "scripts" for him? Surely then, those people are the scumbags since they are the ones putting the words in his mouth. Can't have it both ways with this I'm afraid.

Woods is one of the biggest names in golf still. He's recently (in less than a year) gone from ranked 1199 to 26th and made the US Ryder Cup team.

I'm not into F1, wouldn't know many drivers, but i still know who Schumacher is.

Hamilton and Rose may currently be the best at their sports, but they aren't worldwide names who transcend their sports like the ones I mentioned.

So basically the same thing McGregor has done, completely transcended his sport. Like him or not, you just simply cannot deny he is a bona-fide superstar. Well known and recognised all over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Perhaps because it is tedious shïte that is slickly marketed to young men as it appeals to some base and bloodthirsty part of their character? It’s just not something that has any widespread appeal for most people. An obnoxious loudmouth like McGregor doesn’t do anything to change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

why are you here?

That's deep, man.

Perhaps because it is tedious shïte that is slickly marketed to young men as it appeals to some base and bloodthirsty part of their character? It’s just not something that has any widespread appeal for most people. An obnoxious loudmouth like McGregor doesn’t do anything to change that.

It's like the way people who are bearded of neck go for the WWF, except this is aimed at people who wear Celtic jerseys and equate money with success perhaps. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So basically the same thing McGregor has done, completely transcended his sport. Like him or not, you just simply cannot deny he is a bona-fide superstar. Well known and recognised all over the world.

Jesus wept. The fanboy is strong in you. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It's like the way people who are bearded of neck go for the WWF, except this is aimed at people who wear Celtic jerseys and equate money with success perhaps. :confused:
    At least the WWF has a sense of humour about itself. The UFC crowd take their "sport" and their spats deadly seriously. Sheamus is a much better ambassador for Ireland than McGregor.

Jesus wept. The fanboy is strong in you. :rolleyes:

I'm reminded of a young John Hinckley!

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    At least the WWF has a sense of humour about itself. The UFC crowd take their "sport" and their spats deadly seriously. Sheamus is a much better ambassador for Ireland than McGregor.

Why the quotation marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Woke Hogan wrote: »

No Becky Lynch? :(

I've said it before..the ufc is just the wwf for skinny lads..

Why the quotation marks?

Self explanatory surely ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement