Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Odhinn wrote: »
    Why the quotation marks?
    I don't consider it a real sport. No true martial artist would fight for money, it is dishonourable.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I don't consider it a real sport. No true martial artist would fight for money, it is dishonourable.

This is what bugs me..McG is as far from a martial artist as you can get..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

sport
    spɔːt/Submit
    noun
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    "team sports such as soccer and rugby"
    synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise; pastime

Nothing about honour I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Always know when this thread appears on front page of boards the auld bandwagon is rolling into town again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Jesus wept. The fanboy is strong in you. :rolleyes:

What did I say that was wrong?
    Is he not a super star known the world over?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭The Bollocks

So much begrudgery on this thread,ask my bollocks. McGregor is a legend,the best in his sport. I hope he slaps the ears off this Kabib gob****e in a few weeks time. The man is a pure entertainer and the best in the world at his sport.I will be trying out his whiskey as soon as I can get my hands on it too.

Rory28 wrote: »
    sport
    spɔːt/Submit
    noun
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    "team sports such as soccer and rugby"
    synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise; pastime

Nothing about honour I'm afraid.
    Allow me to clarify, since you apparently need everything spelled out for you.

I was actually making two separate points:

"I don't consider it a real sport. ALSONo true martial artist would fight for money, it is dishonourable."

Honestly if you need to run to the dictionary for a post as simple as mine, you're better off sticking to less taxing intellectually pursuits like watching a McGregor fight or eating glass.

Honestly if you need to run to the dictionary for a post as simple as mine, you're better off sticking to less taxing intellectually pursuits like watching a McGregor fight or eating glass.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

Allow me to clarify, since you apparently need everything spelled out for you.

I was actually making two separate points:

"I don't consider it a real sport. ALSONo true martial artist would fight for money, it is dishonourable."

So all those wrestlers, judo practioners, boxers, karate exponents, kickboxers and so on aren't actually involved in real sport? Or does that just happen when they enter an MMA arena?

Will do. Thanks for the advice.
    No, seriously, you just made a complete fool out of yourself. Just like how McGregor is making a fool out of his fans when they defend him by claiming he's "playing the game" or accusing him of being a canny marketer.

He isn't, he's not and you just had to look up what the word "sport" means. El oh el.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It's like the way people who are bearded of neck go for the WWF, except this is aimed at people who wear Celtic jerseys and equate money with success perhaps. :confused:

I associate UFC with overweight neckbeards as well. Guys who would do well to go and get some exercise of their own. Is gas that some of them are so vehemently anti capitalist, yet fall for this slickly promoted American trash. Hook, line, and sinker.

No, seriously, you just made a complete fool out of yourself. Just like how McGregor is making a fool out of his fans when they defend him by claiming he's "playing the game" or accusing him of being a canny marketer.

He isn't, he's not and you just had to look up what the word "sport" means. El oh el.

How did I make a fool of myself? By saying your definition of sport was wrong? Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

So all those wrestlers, judo practioners, boxers, karate exponents, kickboxers and so on aren't actually involved in real sport? Or does that just happen when they enter an MMA arena?

In terms of martial arts(now this is based on my knowledge of TV shows and what they told me :pac: ) fighting for money is dishonourable and frowned upon.

It's great when people start nit picking to try to catch someone out. I clearly stated that martial artists who fight for money have no honour. Training, sparring etc I have no issue with.

And I also don't consider MMA a real sport, but that is a separate point. Now, before you hoist your trackies over your Lonsdale TV shirt and start furiously giving me the "buh wah abouts," don't think for one second I'm going to spend my evening telling you what I do consider a sport and why.

• Advertisement

It's great when people start nit picking to try to catch someone out. I clearly stated that martial artists who fight for money have no honour.

I see your monastery has taught you well grasshopper.
    And I also don't consider MMA a real sport, but that is a separate point. Now, before you hoist your trackies over your Lonsdale TV shirt and start furiously giving me the "buh wah abouts," don't think for one second I'm going to spend my evening telling you what I do consider a sport and why.

So you're basically just winding people up and have no actual position on the matter at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's great when people start nit picking to try to catch someone out. I clearly stated that martial artists who fight for money have no honour. Training, sparring etc I have no issue with.

It's like saying the decathlon isn't a sport. It's just that it doesn't make any sense. If you consider things like boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, judo, muay thai sports then how does combing them suddenly not make it a sport? Why is MMA not a sport but boxing, kickboxing, BJJ etc. are sports?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DrPhilG wrote: »
    This is exactly right. Go read McGregor's post here on boards back in the day. Long before the height of fame, still fighting for buttons in wee halls in Ireland but that post had some comedy gold in it.

And his 2 most quoted jabs were off the cuff responses to insults from opponents.

That's why I was disappointed in last night. Whilst I agree he's obnoxious, and his bus attack was an underpunished disgrace, he usually delivers some great one liners and laughs.

Last night though he was just drunk and shouty.

He did have some decent lines last night. Saying Khabib won his belt from a real estate agent was pretty funny but yeah definitely not as good as some of his earlier ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I associate UFC with overweight neckbeards as well. Guys who would do well to go and get some exercise of their own. Is gas that some of them are so vehemently anti capitalist, yet fall for this slickly promoted American trash. Hook, line, and sinker.

Rosy cheeked 'witty' Dubs. Honking back porter and cheering on their man from Finglas.

Heart attacks waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Rosy cheeked 'witty' Dubs. Honking back porter and cheering on their man from Finglas.

Heart attacks waiting to happen.

Who is "their man from finglas"? Mcgregor is from crumlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Woods is one of the biggest names in golf still. He's recently (in less than a year) gone from ranked 1199 to 26th and made the US Ryder Cup team.

I'm not into F1, wouldn't know many drivers, but i still know who Schumacher is.

Hamilton and Rose may currently be the best at their sports, but they aren't worldwide names who transcend their sports like the ones I mentioned.

Woods is still a big name obviously because of his past achievements nothing to do with being ranked 26th in 2018, Schumacher was still a big name when he came out of retirement too but not because he could squeeze a 4th place here and there.

I'm no fan of Mcgregor but he is transcending his sport like those lads ya mentioned, I travel a good bit and it's not uncommon when it's known I'm Irish I get asked on my opinion on him.

You like saying jesus wept a lot btw :pac:

Who is "their man from finglas"? Mcgregor is from crumlin.

Ah some kip from Dublin, sure they're all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

McTapper will be tapping again on October 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't get the extreme aversion to it by some.

Two fellas pucking the head off each other is the oldest sport in history.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    McTapper will be tapping again on October 6th.

If Khabib wins it wont be by submission. He will get a tko from ground and pound or a decision win. I'm not even sure why he doesn't use jiu jitsu. He would be even better than he is now if he did.

If Khabib wins it wont be by submission. He will get a tko from ground and pound or a decision win. I'm not even sure why he doesn't use jiu jitsu. He would be even better than he is now if he did.

Ground and pound? Sounds like two sweaty men getting into some hot and heavy action alright.

It's like saying the decathlon isn't a sport. It's just that it doesn't make any sense. If you consider things like boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, judo, muay thai sports then how does combing them suddenly not make it a sport? Why is MMA not a sport but boxing, kickboxing, BJJ etc. are sports?
    The Decathlon isn't an exercise in brutality though. Unconscious men and women being pummeled in the face on the ground. You shouldn't let your kids watch it, never mind participate in it.

Ground and pound? Sounds like two sweaty men getting into some hot and heavy action alright.

dude I get that you dont like mma but you dont need to throw gay lads under the bus to make a point.

If on the off chance you really dont know what g'n'p is then I'll explain. It is when the one of the fighters has a controlling position on the ground and uses it to throw multiple punches at the other fighter. Not the most satisfying way to see a win but its common enough.

dude I get that you dont like mma but you dont need to throw gay lads under the bus to make a point.

If on the off chance you really dont know what g'n'p is then I'll explain. It is when the one of the fighters has a controlling position on the ground and uses it to throw multiple punches at the other fighter. Not the most satisfying way to see a win but its common enough.

I've nothing against it at all! I'm extremely open minded! ;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The Decathlon isn't an exercise in brutality though. Unconscious men and women being pummeled in the face on the ground. You shouldn't let your kids watch it, never mind participate in it.

People can be vicious, no point in hiding it.

Also, some people just like fighting. I'd rather they did it in a ring, than on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What did I say that was wrong?
    Is he not a super star known the world over?

No. You reckon if you rock up in Mombasa or Kinshasa with McGregor that anyone will have a clue who he is??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

No. You reckon if you rock up in Mombasa or Kinshasa with McGregor that anyone will have a clue who he is??

You probably just chose two random African cities but you would proven very wrong very quickly.

Both metropolitan hubs of their respective nations. In fact I’d be willing to wager that Kinshasa is among the biggest cities on the continent. Martial arts are very popular there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

John_D80 wrote: »
    You probably just chose two random African cities but you would proven very wrong very quickly.

Both metropolitan hubs of their respective nations. In fact I’d be willing to wager that Kinshasa is among the biggest cities on the continent. Martial arts are very popular there too.

I reckon no one would have a scooby who he was

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

:rolleyes: Classy.

Surely the debate over whether or not MMA is a sport is old hat? This debate resurfaces every time McGregor fights. People whipping themselves into a frenzy over this is unbelievably tiresome.

The man is playing to an audience that he knows exists. If you don't like it, ignore it. One thing that is undeniable that he is outstanding athlete and fans of the sport would tune in to watch regardless of the hyperbole.

I reckon no one would have a scooby who he was

You’re severely underestimating the global reach of a megastar like McGregor. I was in a tiny African village in 2004 in the absolute arse of a jungle hundreds of miles from a city, with no evidence of electricity and I met a guy whose favourite Irish player was Kenny Cunningham.

If Kenny Cunningham can reach that guy in 2004, McGregor would be guaranteed to be known around Kinshasa in 2018.

But they'd know LeBron and Michael Schumacher in downtown Mombasa according to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He has to be the most famous Irish person in the USA at the moment. I listen to a lot of American podcasts of different varities and he's constantly referenced to. They just say 'Conor', that's how big he is. Lol.

Like him or not he's created an image for himself and broke the biggest market in the Western world. They guy has become his own brand, like Lebron James or Michael Jordan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Lol I’m sure all the professional boxers and Muay Thai practitioners who are elite fighters and martial artists and are training since they were kids are very concerned with your opinions on what constitutes martial arts.

He has to be the most famous Irish person in the USA at the moment. I listen to a lot of American podcasts of different varities and he's constantly referenced to. They just say 'Conor', that's how big he is. Lol.

Like him or not he's created an image for himself and broke the biggest market in the Western world. They guy has become his own brand, like Lebron James or Michael Jordan.

Exactly. I was in the states last summer and anytime I got in an Uber and they heard my Irish accent the conversation immediately turned to "Conor vs Mayweather". Every single time, without fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

His whiskey is the dregs that Bushmills wouldn't put into their own bottles.

Sounds like you don’t have a clue about whiskey to be honest.

3689-2.jpg

Spoken like a true bogger with a chip on their shoulder.

I will be trying out his whiskey as soon as I can get my hands on it too.

People like you are a marketer's dream

People like you are a marketer's dream

A consumer product has caught his attention and he is keen to try it. The same thing can be said about practically every adult human living in a developed country at one time or another. You included.

John_D80 wrote:
    A consumer product has caught his attention and he is keen to try it. The same thing can be said about practically every adult human living in a developed country at one time or another. You included.

Conor McGregor slapped his name on a whiskey and now non-whiskey drinkers are clamouring to buy it purely because McGregor is associated with it. That boggles my mind.

Perhaps the person I quoted is an avid whiskey drinker in which case it is understandable I suppose but I would say the vast majority are gob****es that would buy anything associated with the McGregor name attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Motivator wrote: »
    I don’t watch MMA or UFC, never have an I never will. The fact that McGregor is headline news is the only knowledge I have of the sport. One thing is unquestionable is he’s obviously able to fight, his record is pretty good. One thing that is questionable is branding McGregor “intelligent”. He’s far from it, his entourage and management team are the intelligent ones. He’s a very good actor and he plays the part of a villain very well but anyone with any bit of cop on can see this fella hasn’t a brain in his head. George Bush was president of the USA for 4 years and he can barely string a sentence together - like McGregor. The people McGregor pays to write his pre fight scripts and his commercial team are the actual intelligent people.

Let’s not forget, there’s lots of people getting very rich off of McGregor’s success. The man is a glorified puppet who is being passed around by agents and commercial entities and then is sent off into the ring every few months to have a fight to keep himself semi relevant. There’s no great mystery to it, Conor McGregor marketing is like feeding time at the zoo. His advisors and marketing team are the real hero’s in all this and they’re laughing their arses off at those that fall over themselves to get the latest McGregor collectible which in this moment in time is a bottle of piss branded as Whiskey which will retail at £39.95. Kudos to you McGregor marketing team - kudos!
    You vastly overstated his entourage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

A dirty scumbag. Can't believe there are still people who defend him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I hope McGregor wins but the image of him getting his arse handed to him facedown on his own whiskey logo would be hilarious.

You dont think its possible that Conor would tap to strikes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

He is going to be raped by civil lawsuits though and he has no defence as he plead guilty.

He will likely pay out 2-4 million over the course of the next few years making it go away.
    That is his real punishment.

Mrs Thug is building her million dollar lawsuit nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sure he'd make that from doing a Burger King commercial.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement