Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

I drank his whiskey even before the official release. Nice stuff it’s called Bushmills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Drinking, fighting, foul-mouth leprechaun stereotype which he relishes and milks. Basically any promotion of Irish tourism ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Whether you approve or disapprove of his antics it's obvious that he is an intelligent man, his social skills and emotional IQ are very impressive. He knows how people think, what moticates them, their true agenda, he can see right through people.

ZGnzBCI.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Almost everything he does is, and always has been, pretty carefully calculated, regardless of how much of a clown/scumbag it makes him out to be.

Take the most recent 'bus incident'. He went into that one with his eyes completely wide open.

So what if it costs him a few million in payouts - look at the sensational worldwide coverage it brought him - again - and how that directly feeds into his long-term game (he's just signed a new six-fight deal, imagine what that's worth, and that's just part of it).

Like him, love him, hate him, indifferent to him. It doesn't matter, it seems pretty absurd to deny that he knows exactly what he's doing and there's certainly an intelligence there that's taken him to where he is.

Yes, he's an incredibly good fighter, but he's not the first in the UFC, and it's not that alone that's allowed him to climb this high to such an unprecedented level of stardom for an MMA fighter.

He's both the face of both the UFC and MMA and a household name - done wonders for the sport too - pretty much the 'Hulk Hogan' of MMA, in that he's transcended the sport to become someone whose name even a dog crossing the street could cough out.

Does that mean I'm a fan? Not really. I support him inside the octagon because he's a good fighter, think he's an absolute twit outside it, but equally accept that it's all a charade as part of a giant money-making racket....that's working extremely well.

This talk that he's a mouth-drooling imbecile whose only talent is throwing a good left hand is completely missing what he's actually all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

one thing that disapoints me is UFC essentially endorsing the bus attack. I don't care about the antics but i really would have expected them to stand their ground a little over that. In affect they have bowed to Conor and surrendered their atonomy to him. I know to the dectractors it seems obvious, but to me i'm disapointed they took money over integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Almost everything he does is, and always has been, pretty carefully calculated, regardless of how much of a clown/scumbag it makes him out to be.

Take the most recent 'bus incident'. He went into that one with his eyes completely wide open.

So what if it costs him a few million in payouts - look at the sensational worldwide coverage it brought him - again - and how that directly feeds into his long-term game (he's just signed a new six-fight deal, imagine what that's worth, and that's just part of it).

Like him, love him, hate him, indifferent to him. It doesn't matter, it seems pretty absurd to deny that he knows exactly what he's doing and there's certainly an intelligence there that's taken him to where he is.

Yes, he's an incredibly good fighter, but he's not the first in the UFC, and it's not that alone that's allowed him to climb this high to such an unprecedented level of stardom for an MMA fighter.

He's both the face of both the UFC and MMA and a household name - done wonders for the sport too - pretty much the 'Hulk Hogan' of MMA, in that he's transcended the sport to become someone whose name even a dog crossing the street could cough out.

Does that mean I'm a fan? Not really. I support him inside the octagon because he's a good fighter, think he's an absolute twit outside it, but equally accept that it's all a charade as part of a giant money-making racket....that's working extremely well.

This talk that he's a mouth-drooling imbecile whose only talent is throwing a good left hand is completely missing what he's actually all about.

I'd just like to quote this to ensure the people slating the man actually read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I'd just like to quote this to ensure the people slating the man actually read it.

People accept that he's a good fighter but it's not that he is a knuckle-dragging imbecile. He is crass, obnoxious and not a role model whatsoever as part of this supposed act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

At first, I thought great, another great Irish Man on the world stage. But with every antic, I like him less and less. His latest comments, along the lines off, weather scipted or not, 'If you had got off that bus, you would be dead, and I would be in a prison cell', means that I hope hs gets his arse handed to him.

People accept that he's a good fighter but it's not that he is a knuckle-dragging imbecile. He is crass, obnoxious and not a role model whatsoever as part of this supposed act.

He's a man who boxes the head off lads inside a cage for a living, he is crass and obnoxious. He didn't sign up to be a role model when he got involved in this sport. If people choose to see him as one that's on them.

I respect him as a sportsman, I respect what he has done in that field but do I look up to him or would I want my son to act like him? Absolutely not. Would I want my son to grow up to have his money? Yes, absolutely.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

one thing that disapoints me is UFC essentially endorsing the bus attack. I don't care about the antics but i really would have expected them to stand their ground a little over that. In affect they have bowed to Conor and surrendered their atonomy to him. I know to the dectractors it seems obvious, but to me i'm disapointed they took money over integrity.

Dana White addressed this and said that 'it's part of the story'

It's also part of the story of people who were on the bus and suffered from it, and they have to see the UFC (who they are under contract with) use their misfortune as a means to sell a fight.

• Advertisement

I respect what he has done in that field but do I look up to him or would I want my son to act like him? Absolutely not. Would I want my son to grow up to have his money? Yes, absolutely.

Yeah, but the reality is that your son probably wont have his money, and a generation grow up thinking that the whole "School bully in a fancy suit" knacker shtick is acceptable behaviour..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I seriously can't believe people still believe this kind of tripe. He attacked that bus with his eyes wide open, alright, I bet his pupils were even dilated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Is an mma fighter ever supposed to be a role model though? Why is this always brought up. Similarly with other sport stars. It’s like society is trying to stick a label on someone and then use it as a stick.

Role models should be fathers who look after their family or someone who gives valuable advice. Not a millionaire on the TV who beats the crap out of people for a living.

Saying that someone who has dedicated his life to his craft and being one of the best in the world is not a bad role model. But no one should think him or any other celebrity are role models. It’s a cop out so people close to kids can blame someone when they act out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

joeguevara wrote: »
    Is an mma fighter ever supposed to be a role model though? Why is this always brought up. Similarly with other sport stars. It’s like society is trying to stick a label on someone and then use it as a stick.

Role models should be fathers who look after their family or someone who gives valuable advice. Not a millionaire on the TV who beats the crap out of people for a living.

Saying that someone who has dedicated his life to his craft and being one of the best in the world is not a bad role model. But no one should think him or any other celebrity are role models. It’s a cop out so people close to kids can blame someone when they act out.
    Conor's biggest set pieces at press conferences usually target the admirable traits of his opponents and ridicules them! That by definition makes him an anti-role model! examples would be kindergarten jujitzu with the diaz brothers, the entire aldo campaign etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Conor's biggest set pieces at press conferences usually target the admirable traits of his opponents and ridicules them! That by definition makes him an anti-role model! examples would be kindergarten jujitzu with the diaz brothers, the entire aldo campaign etc

It makes him neither a role model or anti role model. It makes him someone who is promoting fights so he gets as much money in the limited time he has a fighting career.

When I was growing up I never thought Paul McGrath or Gazza were role models. My parents never gave out when they went on the razz as it wasn’t good for a boy to see. Why? Because they brought me up and instilled my morals. Not someone who was a sports star.

I think people are copping out and forgetting that they are kids role models and not an incredibly charismatic guy on the Telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,274 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fair play for giving the money and all but 10k is cheap publicity for a man who made 100m last year and needs plenty of suckers to shell out their hard earned cash.

Saw on another subforum where someone was trying to unload a ticket to his next fight. Face value over 500 quid for an average seat

Next thing we'll be doing is proposing Bill Gates for sainthood for tipping a waiter an extra 10 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Fair play for giving the money and all but 10k is cheap publicity for a man who made 100m last year and needs plenty of suckers to shell out their hard earned cash.

Saw on another subforum where someone was trying to unload a ticket to his next fight. Face value over 500 quid for an average seat

Next thing we'll be doing is proposing Bill Gates for sainthood for tipping a waiter an extra 10 quid

Exactly, Conor donated that 10k for Conor - no one else.

Oh would you lot ever **** off? He donated 10k to a sick child and still people won't give him credit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Oh would you lot ever **** off? He donated 10k to a sick child and still people won't give him credit.

Spent 10K on cheap self serving publicity!

DChancer wrote: »

A begrudging wanker would see it like that.

Others would see it as helping a sick child and his family for no reason whatsoever.

He sent it anonymously, the mother of the child was the one who made it public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

A begrudging wanker would see it like that.

Others would see it as helping a sick child and his family for no reason whatsoever.

He sent it anonymously, the mother of the child was the one who made it public.

If it was donated "anonymously" how did the mother know who sent it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Was probably just his Da's loose change jar from all those €100 note DART trips he's been goin on.

If it was donated "anonymously" how did the mother know who sent it??

Read about it.
    Have you ever donated through gofundme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Read about it.
    Have you ever donated through gofundme?

so not anonymous then. unless you are using a different definition of the word to everybody else.

• Advertisement

so not anonymous then. unless you are using a different definition of the word to everybody else.

It was donated anonymously on the funding page. An email is sent to the owner of that page to say who sent the money, if the mother didn't make it public then nobody would have known who it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,274 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fair enough. But you'll have to admit that the publicity from that good deed would be worth more than the 10k donated. A happy coincidence maybe. But I don't doubt the good the donation will do for the recipient.

But on the other side of things you agree with the position that he's a genius who carefully calculates everything.

If he wants to do an anonymous good deed, he can send me 10k.....nobody would give a shite enough about me to put it on twitter. A truly selfless act. :pac:

It was donated anonymously on the funding page. An email is sent to the owner of that page to say who sent the money, if the mother didn't make it public then nobody would have known who it was.

So you are using a different definition of anonymous to everybody else. If i donate money in my name that is not anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Yeah, but the reality is that your son probably wont have his money, and a generation grow up thinking that the whole "School bully in a fancy suit" knacker shtick is acceptable behaviour..

So a man on TV a dozen times a year has more influence on kids than their own parents? Sounds like a parental issue rather than a bad role model issue to me.

So you are using a different definition of anonymous to everybody else. If i donate money in my name that is not anonymous.

Do yourself and everyone else a favour and realise what I have said.

• Advertisement

Do yourself and everyone else a favour and realise what I have said.

what you said is very clear. You continuing to defend him despite everything is very odd.

what you said is very clear. You continuing to defend him despite everything is very odd.

The mother made his name public, not McGregor himself.

The mother made his name public, not McGregor himself.

So you are saying that he made his donation privately. that is not the same as anonymously.

So you are saying that he made his donation privately. that is not the same as anonymously.

Go to the gofundme page and see what is beside the 10k donation.

Your donations / Anonymous donations: All donors on JustGiving are given the option to remain anonymous when they make a donation. ... Instead, they'll appear as 'Anonymous' in the Donor first name column. If on the other hand they're happy to pass their details onto you, you'll see their name and email address.

Very calculated. Great publicity for him.

Your donations / Anonymous donations: All donors on JustGiving are given the option to remain anonymous when they make a donation. ... Instead, they'll appear as 'Anonymous' in the Donor first name column. If on the other hand they're happy to pass their details onto you, you'll see their name and email address.

doesnt sound very anonymous to me. I'm sure RocketRaccoon will disagree. Just because.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

There's no such thing as a selfless act. There is a such thing as kindness and for helping others, but only when there are hidden benefits to the giver

doesnt sound very anonymous to me. I'm sure RocketRaccoon will disagree. Just because.

What name was made public? Through the gofundme page. If the mother hadn't went to twitter, nobody would have known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

DChancer wrote: »

I'm no a fan of McGregor but I applaud him for doing this.

The young kid gets the benefit of €10k, what's the problem?

evil_seed wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a selfless act. There is a such thing as kindness and for helping others, but only when there are hidden benefits to the giver

Of course there is such a thing as a selfless act. They aren't as rare as you think.

People everywhere help others even though they'll get nothing in return.

• Advertisement

What name was made public? Through the gofundme page. If the mother hadn't went to twitter, nobody would have known.

and again you are conflating private and anonymous. he had the option to donate anonymously. he did not take that option.

and again you are conflating private and anonymous. he had the option to donate anonymously. he did not take that option.

Folks seriously, what difference does it make? The kid benefits to the tune of €10k. And probably more so now that the fund has been made public.

Actually, now that I think about it, more good has probably been done by McGregor's name coming out than if he had made the donation anonymously.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Looking forward to reading Ewan McKenna's article in the indo about Mcgregor's good deed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This is the Conor that I like, the one I want to cheer for but don't get to see very often.

I don't think it's about publicity, I remember seeing a few years ago a picture of him going to visit some poor girl in a hospital or home after he won the belt, 'his oldest fan' or something similar, the implication of which was clear. To think he's only showing interest in sick kids for the publicity is really not fair.

As to why it was private instead of anonymous, I'm sure the kid knowing Conor McGregor is helping him will do wonders for him and his confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Of course there is such a thing as a selfless act. They aren't as rare as you think.

People everywhere help others even though they'll get nothing in return.

And I bet they feel good about doing it. Thus making themselves feel good about themselves. Still not a selfless act.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This is the Conor that I like, the one I want to cheer for but don't get to see very often.

I don't think it's about publicity, I remember seeing a few years ago a picture of him going to visit some poor girl in a hospital or home after he won the belt, 'his oldest fan' or something similar, the implication of which was clear. To think he's only showing interest in sick kids for the publicity is really not fair.

As to why it was private instead of anonymous, I'm sure the kid knowing Conor McGregor is helping him will do wonders for him and his confidence

He also won an award from Crumlin Children's Hospital last year for his efforts, and on the night gave a 600k donation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

evil_seed wrote: »
    And I bet they feel good about doing it. Thus making themselves feel good about themselves. Still not a selfless act.
    Thats a very misanthropic view, only unfeeling psychopaths are truly capable of selfless acts then, which of course wouldn't be acts of kindness anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Do you honestly think someone is more likely to shell out 500 quid for a ticket or buy a PPV because they think the athlete involved is a super nice and charitable guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Fair play for giving the money and all but 10k is cheap publicity for a man who made 100m last year...

He's donated money many times to similar causes long before the Mayweather fight.
    cmcg1.png

And as has been pointed out he has helped raise money for Crumlin hospital and even pops in there the odd time too.....

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/879097020258111489

That's what GoFundMe call it and so that's what people tend to refer to it as:

donations.png

• Advertisement

He's donated money many times to similar causes long before the Mayweather fight.

And as has been pointed out he has helped raise money for Crumlin hospital and even pops in there the odd time too.....

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/879097020258111489

That's what GoFundMe call it and so that's what people tend to refer to it as:

As stated by myself above, directly from GoFundMe’s website. You have the option to let the receiver see your name or remain anonymous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement