Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I didn't say anything to the contrary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

As stated by myself above, directly from GoFundMe’s website. You have the option to let the receiver see your name or remain anonymous.

Seriously, did McGregor piss in your cornflakes or something when he was younger? This infatuation you have with constantly running him down is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

RWCNT wrote: »
    Do you honestly think someone is more likely to shell out 500 quid for a ticket or buy a PPV because they think the athlete involved is a super nice and charitable guy?

No. But they might be more likely to shell out if the fella is getting hyped up and getting plenty of publicity. It's the reason why they do all of those publicity tours and press conferences.

I am sure that there will be plenty of people shelling out 500 quid for this fight who wouldn't shell out half that to see a possibly technically better, but less "famous", MMA fighter. Which they are perfectly entitled to do. And he is good at marketing himself to be fair. Which is a large part of his business. Nothing wrong with it. I'm delighted to see the kid getting a badly needed fair few quid out of something. Everybody wins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Seriously, did McGregor piss in your cornflakes or something when he was younger? This infatuation you have with constantly running him down is pathetic.

Sorry for painting your hero in his true colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

He's donated money many times to similar causes long before the Mayweather fight.

And as has been pointed out he has helped raise money for Crumlin hospital and even pops in there the odd time too.....

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/879097020258111489

That's what GoFundMe call it and so that's what people tend to refer to it as:

A good proportion of celebrities and sportspeople do similar things for charity but they manage to do it without acting like dickheads most of the time.

He doesn't really deserve a clap on the back for any of the above things you've highlighted as it fairly common for wealthy sportspeople to do those sorts of things.

• Advertisement

Sorry for painting your hero in his true colours.

My hero? I've made my feelings on him known in this thread.
    The man has donated 10k to a sick child over the last day or so, he has donated hundreds of thousands over the years while doing plenty of other charitable work.

Yet despite all that you still believe he's a scumbag because of how he acts in front of cameras.

My hero? I've made my feelings on him known in this thread.
    The man has donated 10k to a sick child over the last day or so, he has donated hundreds of thousands over the years while doing plenty of other charitable work.

Yet despite all that you still believe he's a scumbag because of how he acts in front of cameras.

I believe he is a scumbag because he is a scumbag. The fact you think that because he give a tiny fraction of his earnings to charity negates him being a scumbag is pretty sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I believe he is a scumbag because he is a scumbag. The fact you think that because he give a tiny fraction of his earnings to charity negates him being a scumbag is pretty sad.

You need to let your infatuation with him go man. It's not healthy for you. You post on multiple Conor McGregor threads to do nothing but bad mouth his every act. It's a pretty sad case of affairs, you must be a very bitter and twisted person.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    You need to let your infatuation with him go man. It's not healthy for you. You post on multiple Conor McGregor threads to do nothing but bad mouth his every act. It's a pretty sad case of affairs, you must be a very bitter and twisted person.

Multiple? There are 2. I post about an average of once every 3-6 months on them. The fact you notice the criticism of him by me says more about you than me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

How much will he need to donate to Mrs Thug living underground in a state of abject fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Multiple? There are 2. I post about an average of once every 3-6 months on them. The fact you notice the criticism of him by me says more about you than me.

Yes. 2 is a multiple of 1. Pretty basic math there!

If you check your post history you will find you post a lot more often than once every 3-6 months. 20+ in the last week alone.

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    How much will he need to donate to Mrs Thug living underground in a state of abject fear.

Quite a lot I’d imagine. Hopefully she gets as much as she deserves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

You'd learn a lot more about that sort of thing from the pick up artist Owen Cook (Tyler Durden). Seriously, you should check him out.

As regards McGregor, after fueling up a plane to cross the atlantic, going through security and traffic, he would have felt like a bit of an idiot to simply do nothing. The situation wasn't the way he pictured it, and he knew he couldn't get Kahibab on the bus. But if he didn't trash the bus, it would've felt like a trip in vain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Can't believe we're just a week away! It's been some journey and realistically the ride and the mystique could all end on Sunday morning after facing everyone's kryptonite. I'll be as nervous as anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

You'd learn a lot more about that sort of thing from the pick up artist Owen Cook (Tyler Durden). Seriously, you should check him out.

As regards McGregor, after fueling up a plane to cross the atlantic, going through security and traffic, he would have felt like a bit of an idiot to simply do nothing. The situation wasn't the way he pictured it, and he knew he couldn't get Kahibab on the bus. But if he didn't trash the bus, he would've felt like a trip in vain.

So if he didn't act like a scumbag it would have been a waste of his time.

You really make him sound like a lovely chap.

Couldn't he have decided to act normally and not go to such effort to cause some trouble for the sake of it.

Couldn't he have decided to act normally and not go to such effort to cause some trouble for the sake of it.
    We're not in disagreement. I'm just trying to guess his thought process at the time.

A mod edited that comment of mine that you saw, so no longer looks like a reply to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

We're not in disagreement. I'm just trying to guess his thought process at the time.

Minimal.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Can't believe we're just a week away! It's been some journey and realistically the ride and the mystique could all end on Sunday morning after facing everyone's kryptonite. I'll be as nervous as anything.
    Kryptonyte - an alien mineral with the property of depriving Superman of his powers.

So who's superman? And has the kryptonyte worked on him? You mustn't be a typical McGregor fan if you read comics!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think most of McGregor’s scumbag actions (and they are nothing but the behavior of a complete scummer) are all part of his marketing and his so called “image.”

In 15 years time we shall see if he still manages to stay wealthy or in the public eye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Such salty people on this thread! so mad cause mcgregor does what he wants and is successful lol Give your heads a wobble and come down off your morale high ground!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think most of McGregor’s scumbag actions (and they are nothing but the behavior of a complete scummer) are all part of his marketing and his so called “image.”

In 15 years time we shall see if he still manages to stay wealthy or in the public eye.

This will inevitably be Conor's downfall. He seems desperate to keep living up to his "Notorious" nickname and has to keep finding a way to top his last stunt that people will eventually get tired of him. If it wasn't for the fact that he wins people would have wrote him off already.

Cupatae wrote: »
    Such salty people on this thread! so mad cause mcgregor does what he wants and is successful lol Give your heads a wobble and come down off your morale high ground!

Most of respect Conor's work ethic [or the work ethic he had before the big time] and he does seem like a decent person when he's willing to turn the gimmick off [which is few and fare between anymore]

People can respect his work ethic and respect him as an athlete, but still think he acts like a scumbag when he's in gimmick mode.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    This will inevitably be Conor's downfall. He seems desperate to keep living up to his "Notorious" nickname and has to keep finding a way to top his last stunt that people will eventually get tired of him. If it wasn't for the fact that he wins people would have wrote him off already.

If he didn't win and wasn't considered one of the best of all time, he wouldn't be able to do and say the things he does.

If he didn't win and wasn't considered one of the best of all time, he wouldn't be able to do and say the things he does.

Definitely. He would have been written off as a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Interesting how McGregor is "playing the game" when he acts like a total skanger but people refuse to question his motives for even one second when he shows an altruistic side.

The smugness of people on here that are nearly personally aggrieved by Mcgregors antics lmao if you dont like it dont watch it..its as simple as that...the righteousness out of some people on here, some of you badly need to get over yourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Very calculated. Great publicity for him.

Totally agree. He clearly worked out a marketing strategy all based around this donation. Who would of heard of him if this news didnt go public, I ask you that? The upcoming fight would probably only sold what, 100k?? Now because of this master plan and world wide explosion of publicity its going to sell million$$$.

I mean before this what has he done to get in the public eye...he fought that washed up "boxer" last year but other that who has actually heard of him. Now, everyone is like..."oh shiit that guy who donated 10k to a kid is fighting saturday..better tune in!!"

paulieeye wrote: »
    Totally agree. He clearly worked out a marketing strategy all based around this donation. Who would of heard of him if this news didnt go public, I ask you that? The upcoming fight would probably only sold what, 100k?? Now because of this master plan and world wide explosion of publicity its going to sell million$$$.

I mean before this what has he done to get in the public eye...he fought that washed up "boxer" last year but other that who has actually heard of him. Now, everyone is like..."oh shiit that guy who donated 10k to a kid is fighting saturday..better tune in!!"

Or he just donated 10k cause he could and cause his sound and helped a kid out... how much have you donated? id say **** all! i always laugh when i see the likes you on boards talking down about other people! bitter much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Cupatae wrote: »
    Or he just donated 10k cause he could and cause his sound and helped a kid out... how much have you donated? id say **** all! i always laugh when i see the likes you on boards talking down about other people! bitter much?

Think you missed the sarcastic tone of that post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Pac1Man wrote: »

Have a ****. Get it out of your system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I respect what he has done in his profession and do get a kick out of his press conferences etc, but cannot stand his entourage.

Missus showed me his sister Aoife's (the neeeeeeeeeeeccccccccccckkkkk one) Instagram stories yesterday. She is having a pop at someone and saying that they are crazy attention seekers and still live in their Ma's box room pretending they are Beyoncé.

She then tells (and I quote): "To all my beautiful teenagers who follow me please don't live your life for likes on Instagram, go see the world, meet people in real life from all walks of life. Make amazing memories for YOU not for followers you don't know".

People in glass houses and all that, this is coming from someone who constantly posts photos of her designer hand bags and shoes, living the luxury life all bought and paid for by her brother. She will get booted back to reality if and when his career goes down the toilet. Don't get me started on his oulfella.....

Another great show last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Have you seen his Irish fans in Las Vegas ?
    real class acts they are, I hope Khabib batters him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Yeah I'm a bit sick of his God complex now. His behavior at the press conference was ridiculous. Ill not be too bothered if he loses on Saturday night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Hope springs eternal eh ? Utter pox of a man he is.

• Advertisement

Hope springs eternal eh ? Utter pox of a man he is.

And his sister too, have you heard the voicemail she left someone ?
    No amount of money can buy class ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

And his sister too, have you heard the voicemail she left someone ?
    No amount of money can buy class ...

No I haven't but I can have a fair guess at the tone!

No I haven't but I can have a fair guess at the tone!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Classy broad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

A family of utter numpties that need to fuck off back to obscurity, where they belong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Holy lord Jaysus. The voice out of McGregor's sister. I nearly went deaf after hearing that. :eek:

She should have more class while speaking to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It is kind of amusing that the dog groomer left her a voicemail telling her to get a job. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Why do you guys keep coming back to the thread if you all hate him? Do you all get off on being annoyed or what is the craic?

Rory28 wrote: »
    Why do you guys keep coming back to the thread if you all hate him? Do you all get off on being annoyed or what is the craic?

Why do you keep coming in here if people calling your hero out for his scumbaggery gets to you??

Why do you keep coming in here if people calling your hero out for his scumbaggery gets to you??

Because I keep an eye on most McGregor threads come fight week. I noticed you never answered my question

Rory28 wrote: »
    Because I keep an eye on most McGregor threads come fight week. I noticed you never answered my question

It’s the Conor McGregor thread, not the Conor McGregor fanboy thread. People are allowed have different opinions.

It’s the Conor McGregor thread, not the Conor McGregor fanboy thread. People are allowed have different opinions.

So its just to come and sh1t on him then?

Why do you keep saying he's a hero to people? Has anyone ever claimed him as a hero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ah jaysis me nerves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Holy lord Jaysus. The voice out of McGregor's sister. I nearly went deaf after hearing that. :eek:

She should have more class while speaking to other people.
    She'd be a right little goer

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement