Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's the usual 'hold me back' bravado that these dopes engage in every weekend.. usually with no repercussions. Picked the wrong crowd for his hard man act this time.

Absolute pack of louts.

I saw it in Boston when McMuffin fought the German guy a few years ago. I was in a bar with my wife and work colleagues of hers watching the Patriots game that was on before the fight. A crowd of lads from Limerick came in and started mouthing off and goading loads of Americans that were having their dinner watching the football. Lads shadow boxing and leering at women going to the toilets. One of them passed some remark about an American guys daughter and all hell broke loose. It was embarrassing and the Limerick lads threw a few punches, launched a few glasses across the bar wrecking the place and then scarpered. Security got a couple of them and gave them a right hiding before sending them on their way.

The crowd that follow McMuffin are dangerous make no bones about it. They’re full of drink and god knows what else and they’ve got their McMuffin attitudes front and centre. His fake, trash talking carry on is deemed acceptable by these apes any time they follow him to one of his fights and they leave a bad taste in the mouth of those that remain once they’re gone. Vegas can tolerate it to a certain degree because it’s a mad place in general but the carry on of these guys in a city such as Boston isn’t well received because as loud and as crass as the Americans can be, they’re generally respectful and respect usually wins the day and these guys have none when they go abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Fake??? You think MMA is fake?

Read what he wrote. The sports entertainment wwe bull**** he means

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

A shame Kabib didnt break McGregors and shut him up for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fake??? You think MMA is fake?

It's not real wrasslin'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just throwing this question out there,
    I don't follow MMA,but had an interest in McGregor.
    In sporting pretext what will happen to McGregor's carrier in MMA after this defeat is it hard to come back from it.
    Seen a lot of boxers carriers end after one defeat, different spot I know.
    Just wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

This "sport" really is indicative of the rot in modern Western culture: decadent, ugly and without a shred of honour. Both competitors, their entourages and their fans should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    This "sport" really is indicative of the rot in modern Western culture: decadent, ugly and without a shred of honour. Both competitors, their entourages and their fans should be ashamed of themselves.

I've decided to stop watching anymore because of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I've decided to stop watching anymore because of your post.
    I don't give a **** what you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I don't give a **** what you do.

Well that's needlessly aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

BoneIdol wrote: »
    Don't be ****ing daft.

There's close to a hundred years of boxing televised. Show me one instance as stupid as that.

I'm a big boxing fan, but jesus. Tyson vs Holyfield? Bowe vs Golota? Dirrell vs Uzcategui? That's only off top of my head too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

ZX7R wrote: »
    Just throwing this question out there,
    I don't follow MMA,but had an interest in McGregor.
    In sporting pretext what will happen to McGregor's carrier in MMA after this defeat is it hard to come back from it.
    Seen a lot of boxers carriers end after one defeat, different spot I know.
    Just wondering

A lot easier to come back from a defeat in MMA than boxing, with the different styles it's a lot more common for top fighters to have picked up a few losses in their career.
    A rematch with Khabib or Diaz 3 will do big business for McGregor, not sure there's many other matches he'd want or get enough money for.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

After the fight McGregor reaped what he had sown.

If you say offensive stuff to someone don't be surprised if they get offended.
    If you try to wind someone up don't be surprised that they get wound up.

**shrugs**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Has to be said the brawl is extremely bad publicity for the sport. The winning competitor diving into the crowd and brawling with people, others physically attacking the losing competitor. It's making it seem like a thuggish, violent sport with a load of yobs at its core (this type of incident would be atrocious publicity for any sport).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Hopefully now we never hear of the bullsh1t fake “sports entertainment” MMA again.

This statement belongs in the same category as someone saying boxing is fake, the earth is flat or magic is real. Living in a dream world must be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Well that's needlessly aggressive.

It’s indicative of the online hardman in modern western culture. Ignorant, obnoxious, and without a shred of honour.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 odetooi

Motivator wrote: »
    I saw it in Boston when McMuffin fought the German guy a few years ago. I was in a bar with my wife and work colleagues of hers watching the Patriots game that was on before the fight. A crowd of lads from Limerick came in and started mouthing off and goading loads of Americans that were having their dinner watching the football. Lads shadow boxing and leering at women going to the toilets. One of them passed some remark about an American guys daughter and all hell broke loose. It was embarrassing and the Limerick lads threw a few punches, launched a few glasses across the bar wrecking the place and then scarpered. Security got a couple of them and gave them a right hiding before sending them on their way.

The crowd that follow McMuffin are dangerous make no bones about it. They’re full of drink and god knows what else and they’ve got their McMuffin attitudes front and centre. His fake, trash talking carry on is deemed acceptable by these apes any time they follow him to one of his fights and they leave a bad taste in the mouth of those that remain once they’re gone. Vegas can tolerate it to a certain degree because it’s a mad place in general but the carry on of these guys in a city such as Boston isn’t well received because as loud and as crass as the Americans can be, they’re generally respectful and respect usually wins the day and these guys have none when they go abroad.

I was up in croke park years back and after Offaly got beaten the drunk supporters totally wrecked upstairs of the big tree pub. Glasses and tables flying. That's the gaa crowd for you. Boozed up yobs. The sport should be banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 odetooi

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It’s indicative of the online hardman in modern western culture. Ignorant, obnoxious, and without a shred of honour.

*Hardperson you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's making it seem like a thuggish, violent sport with a load of yobs at its core

If it walks like a duck.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

razorblunt wrote: »
    A great day for Balls, from picking through the thrash of Conor McGregor’s tweet to picking through this thrash now, they’ll milk it for all it’s worth.

Hope the lad is ok though, but that looked like the difference between a guy throwing a drunk punch and a guy throwing a proper punch.

the amount of irish lads throwing karate stance shapes after it is gas.

absolute morons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

On a phone so not sure if this link will work, but balls.ie have it up on their Facebook page.

https://www.balls.ie/newsnow/rapper-films-irish-fan-taking-brutal-punch-arena-melee-khabib-fans-398282

Acts the tough-guy but goes down faster than a cheap hooker - what a knob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

He's pretty bizarre, excellent showman, decent family oriented type, extremely hardworking talented guy. Scratch beneath the surface and he's anything but a scumbag. It's just nobody wants to say they're embarrassed by him being loud and uncouth, because that sounds lame and snobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

strettyend wrote: »
    im as irish as the next person but mcgregor doesnt represent me. He is a foul mouted knacker who was disgusting at his press conference with his filthy language. what message does that send out to all the young kids watching this? he insulted khabib, his religion, his dad. Delighted he got the head boxed off himself and hopefully we wont have to put up much longer with the obnoxious prick and his rantings much longer.

That their parents are fcuking idiots without the merest shred of responsibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Heres a long version,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Heres a long version,

1.55 knocked out cold

That's what you get for acting the hard man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

1.55 knocked out cold

Thats gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cringeworthy.

Drunk sack of sh*t stumbling about trying to throw shapes

Yobs

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Aethan Dor

Heres a long version,

That put manners on him !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

The Irish guy spat at someone and was put to sleep, after previously getting ****ed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Anyone spitting is beneath contempt really

What about the Irish guy that slips on the spilt beer and face palms the ground.

• Advertisement

Heres a long version,

Wow that is so good to watch. Not once but twice he got dropped by the boys in black. Look at all the Irish goading them and they just stood their ground knowing full well that 6 or 7 of them could handle 100 Irish. That clown that got dropped should have learned his lesson the first time he got clattered.

The guy that got knocked out should be on the Late Late and have the full show for an interview.

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    The guy that got knocked out should be on the Late Late and have the full show for an interview.

Why? Is there a Late Late “Idiots Abroad” special?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What about the Irish guy that slips on the spilt beer and face palms the ground.

Suing the venue probably

On the whole McGregor's street cred took a hammering. Where were McGregor plane load of goons when he was getting battered by Khabibs goons right after he got battered by Khabib.

Motivator wrote: »
    Why? Is there a Late Late “Idiots Abroad” special?

Ok Ray Darcy then at least people would know who this guy was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Heres a long version,

Are they adults trying to take on 'The Men in Black'?
    Just they seem to be acting very child like or teenagers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Absolute skangers following McGregor around.
    The sooner he retires, the better for our national reputation.
    Idiots.
    Delighted to see yer man getting his nose rearranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Classic scumbag behaviour, thinks because he has strength in numbers that he can behave however he likes. Got exactly what he deserved, and might think twice before acting like that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

1.55 knocked out cold

That was beautiful. There's a valuable lesson in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

On the whole McGregor's street cred took a hammering. Where were McGregor plane load of goons when he was getting battered by Khabibs goons right after he got battered by Khabib.

Lot of them denied entry at Dublin airport side, the yanks are no fools!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Pick a sport and I will find a clip of a fight happening

Dressage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

God, the cringe watching those lads jumping around.

Comedy gold is the guy slipping over himself in the puddle of beer, just seconds before his buddy gets knocked unconscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I wasn't sure from the short clips released whether the Russians or Irish started it but its clear the Russians just stood their ground.

I wish all those mouth breathers would record video in landscape. Looks far better on the big TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

what?

I doubt he is the type that can string a sentence together, and that was before he got whatever tiny brain cells remaining smashed in.

Ole Ole Ole indeed.

I have never seen a more pathetic breed of fan boys than the McGregor Mob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Ok Ray Darcy then at least people would know who this guy was

After that punch he probably doesn't know himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

odetooi wrote: »
    I was up in croke park years back and after Offaly got beaten the drunk supporters totally wrecked upstairs of the big tree pub. Glasses and tables flying. That's the gaa crowd for you. Boozed up yobs. The sport should be banned

Such behaviour is appalling, so I wouldn't class it as a sport. Just mindless thuggery.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You call that a brawl? There were more people filming than fighting.

I believe it was one of Isaac Asimov's characters who put it thus: "violence is the last refuge of the incompetent". :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There's no doubt that McGregor is a classless clown. Also no doubt that Khabib let himself down a bagful.

And finally there is no doubt that lots of the Irish fans in Vegas made arses of themselves last night.

But I would hazard a guess that the asshole fans were a minority. I've been to 2 international events where McGregor fought, UFC 189 in Vegas and UFC 205 in New York. By and large the fans were well behaved and in good humour, just like the Irish football/soccer fans are when they travel for big tournaments.

It irritates me that people pigeon hole all Irish MMA fans as scumbags and thugs. It also annoys me that people think MMA in Ireland didn't exist before McGregor hit the big time.

McGregor came through the local Irish MMA scene to reach the top. That scene existed before he hit the big time and it will exist long after he has retired.

Fans like me followed the sport around the world long before the "McGregor era" too and I will continue to do so.

And for those wondering... I'm 39, have a job, no tattoos, don't own a tap-out shirt and I don't drink. Sorry if I don't fit your stereotype. (I do have a shaved head but that's to hide the bald spot...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

DrPhilG wrote: »
    There's no doubt that McGregor is a classless clown. Also no doubt that Khabib let himself down a bagful.

And finally there is no doubt that lots of the Irish fans in Vegas made arses of themselves last night.

But I would hazard a guess that the asshole fans were a minority. I've been to 2 international events where McGregor fought, UFC 189 in Vegas and UFC 205 in New York. By and large the fans were well behaved and in good humour, just like the Irish football/soccer fans are when they travel for big tournaments.

It irritates me that people pigeon hole all Irish MMA fans as scumbags and thugs. It also annoys me that people think MMA in Ireland didn't exist before McGregor hit the big time.

McGregor came through the local Irish MMA scene to reach the top. That scene existed before he hit the big time and it will exist long after he has retired.

Fans like me followed the sport around the world long before the "McGregor era" too and I will continue to do so.

And for those wondering... I'm 39, have a job, no tattoos, don't own a tap-out shirt and I don't drink. Sorry if I don't fit your stereotype. (I do have a shaved head but that's to hide the bald spot...)

Cool story.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement