Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Conor McGregor Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

So just because he's good at fighting, we should overlook the fact he's a knacker?

Didn't say that kid....but I don't see how his persona should take away from what he's achieved.....

strikes me as begruding trying to find any reason to run down someone's achievements??

He's literally done no harm to anyone innocent....the country is full of people that run themselves down or others that will....

he's something different....self confident and has ability to back up his words....pure pikey like...but what harm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So just because he's good at fighting, we should overlook the fact he's a knacker?

I think he's more of a wannabe knacker than an actual knacker

I think he's more of a wannabe knacker than an actual knacker

Thats even worse..

Didn't say that kid....but I don't see how his persona should take away from what he's achieved.....

strikes me as begruding trying to find any reason to run down someone's achievements??

It's absolutely phenomenal what he's achieved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He made his millions through hard work and determination and he's a talented MMA fighter.

Fair enough if people don't like the guy for the way he acts outside the ring but he earned his money the hard way compared to someone like that fur wearing no talent geebag K Kardashian who is only famous because someone released a video of her giving a BJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

He made his millions through hard work and determination and he's a talented MMA fighter.

Fair enough if people don't like the guy for the way he acts outside the ring but he earned his money the hard way compared to someone like that fur wearing no talent geebag K Kardashian who is only famous because someone released a video of her giving a BJ.

money money money, there is more to life than money you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

Dude is funny af. Bow down to your king. The most famous Irish person ever is a ballin' zero ****s giving lad from Crumlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

You know, its possible to appreciate who he is as a fighter and enjoy his persona as a promoter while also acknowledging he's a skanger eejit who needs to cop himself on sometimes.

End of the day, he's a generationally good fighter and arguably our most talented athlete ever given that he's the only UFC fighter to ever hold two belts simultaneously and he's embarrassed the likes of Jose Aldo and Eddie Alvarez and beaten Max Holloway on one leg. The man can also sell a fight like nobody else. There's a reason that in any city in the world when he fights, you can bet the local Irish pub will probably have a lock in and be rammed out the door at all hours in the morning.

At the same time, he acts like such a total knacker it grates. He needs another UFC fight basically because this reality tv star level drama is getting old and it's been too long since people seen the best of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Jaysus, would you look who dropped into The Black Forge earlier tonight.

nintchdbpict000370991806-e1512422435448.jpg?strip=all&w=960

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Jaysus, would you look who dropped into The Black Forge earlier tonight.

nintchdbpict000370991806-e1512422435448.jpg?strip=all&w=960

Now that is inspirational. She's an absolute stunner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Im not bothered by his drugs,fighting or speeding or his general not giving a **** about anything attitude but that pic has annoyed me just thinking about his "girlfriend" at home minding the new baby and hes not around helping out.
    Its Dee id feel sorry for in all of this and tbh id have her over yer wan in the pic any day.

... id have her over yer wan in the pic any day.

So would I..... but the punters have spoken and Rita slaughtered Dee in the most beautiful thread.

Besides, I'm sure she'd rather him keeping this kind of company to the one he runs with in the D12 area.

So would I..... but the punters have spoken and Rita slaughtered Dee in the most beautiful thread.

Good thing people like you and I dont care for what others think.

Quiet unassuming hardworking mothers are infinitely more attractive to me than plastic fake gorgeous pop stars and Dee is far from dog ugly too.
    CMcG needs to take a long hard look at himself leaving that girl to raise that kid alone,that to me is worse than the occasional blow out on drugs,fighting and general mayhem.
    The most disappointing aspect of all this is Conor went off the rails after the kid was born,when hes needed most.
    Its this thats lost me as a fan,I dont care about the rest of it,he really needed to step up and become a family man once the kid was born but hes fcuked off in the opposite direction.
    Thats proper scummy behaviour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

nintchdbpict000370981272.jpg?strip=all&w=960

Conor McScanger's next fight is set to be against fashion - with his new training team: that dozy twat boyracer and a reanimated corpse

Speaking about his opponent: McScanger yelled something about fags in the industry as little boyracer looked vacantly at a traffic cone. The re-animated corpse was unavailable for comment as it was being touched up by its personal mortuary cosmetologist

The most disappointing aspect of all this is Conor went off the rails after the kid was born,when hes needed most.
    Its this thats lost me as a fan....

Could be the prospect of turning 30, settling down, freaking him out somewhat. Also worth bearing in mind that when most 16-26 year olds were out running amach, he was working his arse off training to become something he really had no business even thinking about. There's bound to be some drawbacks to that level of intense focus day after day for the guts of a decade but I feel he'll find his feet once again and what we have seen lately is as bad as it will get. You can't show what he has shown so far in order to do what he has done and for that to then all just disappear into the ether.

He's flawed and insecure for sure, but most sports stars who have shown us an extraordinary side to them have also been flawed and insecure, much to the puzzlement of the public. Alex Higgins, George Best would be two that come to mind who should have / could have had much longer and more successful careers but for succumbing to their demons. Which way will McGregor go, only time will tell but my money would be only on him reaching a couple of more extraordinary feats in a professional capacity before we see him retire.

I think the softer more thoughtful moments we see from McGregor are closer to who he really is than the arsehole obnoxious ones are, I know many would think the opposite is true and I get that but for me the real tell is who around him is celebrating and looking happy when Conor is on the slide and it looks like it's all slipping away and who goes quiet. For me his real friends are the ones who do the latter rather than the former. There has been a near silence on many of Conor's antics over the last month or so from certain people around him, while others are notably loving it. What's needed here is for him to notice that and of course for him to care.

• Advertisement

said some good stuff

Well said.

Could be the prospect of turning 30, settling down, freaking him out somewhat. Also worth bearing in mind that when most 16-26 year olds were out running amach, he was working his arse off training to become something he really had no business even thinking about. There's bound to be some drawbacks to that level of intense focus day after day for the guts of a decade but I feel he'll find his feet once again and what we have seen lately is as bad as it will get. You can't show what he has shown so far in order to do what he has done and for that to then all just disappear into the ether.

He's always been a racist. It's been glossed over or even denied by his supporters here, using the most ridiculous logic ("he only does it to sell fights" being one of the constant, utterly stupid, lines you'll see).

I regard his recent behaviour as a mix of speculation and if true (i) it's his own business, or at least that and what his partner will put up with and (ii) let's face it, what can you expect from a pig but a grunt. He was hardly going to become some fine representative of Irish intelligentsia.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

21Savage wrote: »
    Dude is funny af. Bow down to your king. The most famous Irish person ever is a ballin' zero ****s giving lad from Crumlin.

Jaysus. Féck off back to instagram :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

McGregor is a good lad from a good family.
    He is a regular visitor to the children's hospital which is not to far from where he grew up.
    So what he got done for speeding. Who hasnt ? Even my granny got caught at that a fortnight ago on her way t bingo.
    Hes such a bad guy and he parked his car where he shouldnt have. Lock him up right now and crush his car
    All the begrudgers would love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

He is a regular visitor to the children's hospital which is not to far from where he grew up.
    So what he got done for speeding. Who hasnt ? Even my granny got caught at that a fortnight ago on her way t bingo.
    Hes such a bad guy and he parked his car where he shouldnt have. Lock him up right now and crush his car

Are we allowed to have a single thread about an Irish person where the word begrudgery is banned? That would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Im not bothered by his drugs,fighting or speeding or his general not giving a **** about anything attitude but that pic has annoyed me just thinking about his "girlfriend" at home minding the new baby and hes not around helping out.
    Its Dee id feel sorry for in all of this and tbh id have her over yer wan in the pic any day.

He's on a business trip with some fashion label. I guarantee he spends more time with her and Jr than most fathers get to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I just saw the footage of Charlie Ward pulling up his hood just because Conor did it - what a little sycophant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

nintchdbpict000370981272.jpg?strip=all&w=960

Conor McScanger's next fight is set to be against fashion - with his new training team: that dozy twat boyracer and a reanimated corpse

Speaking about his opponent: McScanger yelled something about fags in the industry as little boyracer looked vacantly at a traffic cone. The re-animated corpse was unavailable for comment as it was being touched up by its personal mortuary cosmetologist

One couldn't have put two more apt examples of modern sports stars together.

Two very successful guys at the top in their respective sports.
    Also two pretty rich guys from their sports.
    Of course it helps in one case if you don't pay tax as well.

But talk about two obnoxious knobends who are so far up their own holes.

I guess it goes to show how one can be very good at something, but yet a complete ar** in other aspects of life.

One can admire their skill, their determination, their drive to the top, their business acumen, but one can also admit they don't appear to be very nice people or in other words ar**holes.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Okay one last time "forget you know the word begrudgery". K?

I do not b******e Michael O'Leary his billions - I fly his airline at least every other week.

I also don't b******e McGregor his money. If idiots are willing to spend 30 euro to sit up till 5am to watch a glorified exhibition bout then that is their choice.

However, I think is a pathetic racist knacker who has money but zero class.

Now can we try not to shoehorn the "b" word into every defence of gobs***tes like him ?

True.. I'm on 9 points that puts me in Charles manson level of criminal

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I just saw the footage of Charlie Ward pulling up his hood just because Conor did it - what a little sycophant

He looks like such a hired goon

Okay one last time "forget you know the word begrudgery". K?

I do not b******e Michael O'Leary his billions - I fly his airline at least every other week.

I also don't b******e McGregor his money. If idiots are willing to spend 30 euro to sit up till 5am to watch a glorified exhibition bout then that is their choice.

However, I think is a pathetic racist knacker who has money but zero class.

Now can we try not to shoehorn the "b" word into every defence of gobs***tes like him ?
    In the mayweather fight mcgregor said dance for me boy and he said he was half black as in he had a big dick.
    Thats the only examples of racism from mcgregor im aware of.

Not overly racist in my opinion.

Mcgregor is actually a very intelligent guy.
    He knows how to play the media and the ordinary punter to get more ppv money in his pocket.
    He also very good at useing psycoligical warefare on his opponents.
    his self confidence is second to none.
    We need more people like that in ireland.
    He is an ordinary lad from crumlin and he hasnt forgotten it. Most of the stuff in the build up to the fights is all an act. The late late interview a few weeks ago would be a better example of his personality and his values in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

wealthy thug
    is my opinion of the guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

imme wrote: »
    wealthy thug
    is my opinion of the guy

LOL! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

In the mayweather fight mcgregor said dance for me boy and he said he was half black as in he had a big dick.
    Thats the only examples of racism from mcgregor im aware of.

Not overly racist in my opinion.

Mcgregor is actually a very intelligent guy.
    He knows how to play the media and the ordinary punter to get more ppv money in his pocket.
    He also very good at useing psycoligical warefare on his opponents.
    his self confidence is second to none.
    We need more people like that in ireland.
    He is an ordinary lad from crumlin and he hasnt forgotten it. Most of the stuff in the build up to the fights is all an act. The late late interview a few weeks ago would be a better example of his personality and his values in life.

psycoligical warefare?

Do you mean social welfare?

• Advertisement

bur wrote: »
    psycoligical warefare?

Do you mean social welfare?

Have you an issue with dyslexia? Funny is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Is this true? I did a quick search and found he made a visit back in June, so curious where you heard about him being a regular visitor?

Fair dues to any sports star/celeb who takes time out of their day to do something like that.

Naos wrote: »
    Is this true? I did a quick search and found he made a visit back in June, so curious where you heard about him being a regular visitor?

Fair dues to any sports star/celeb who takes time out of their day to do something like that.

a friend of mines sister had a premature baby early in the year and her child was in the children's hospital for quite a while with a heart problem her sister said that mcgregor was in visiting the children a few times in the time she was there. the girl has a picture and all with him her baby.
    she was absolutely delighted with it

I think Conor Mcgregor like any other person has some bad qualities and some good qualities. There is definitely good and bad in him, its just the media knows that the bad parts sell more papers. Who cares if he fuarked Rita Ora? or he didnt? Maybe him and Dee have an understanding? Its none of our business either way. He acted a bit of a d1ck at the court house last week but that doesn't make him a serial killer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

^^^ Dee must be a proper gold digger if that's the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

^^^ Dee must be a proper gold digger if that's the case

She stuck with him through thick and thin. When he was a nobody who packed in his job with no wealth and against the advice of everyone close to him to do MMA full time she was there. Maybe she just understands what comes with the fame and will always be his number 1. Life is not as black and white as people make it out to be.

Don't think she is a gold-digger.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    She stuck with him through thick and thin. When he was a nobody who packed in his job with no wealth and against the advice of everyone close to him to do MMA full time she was there. Maybe she just understands what comes with the fame and will always be his number 1. Life is not as black and white as people make it out to be.

If he wasn't wealthy do you think she would tolerate it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dunno. Who cares anyway. It's not important.

Dunno. Who cares anyway. It's not important.

You're right it doesn't. But she's a gold digger and that's clearly obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

So what if she is. So what if she isn't.
    Maybe she threw a cigarette butt on the ground yesterday when nobody was looking.
    So what?
    It doesn't affect anyone here.
    Only thing it does is make someone feel better about judging other strangers.

So what if she is. So what if she isn't.
    Maybe she threw a cigarette butt on the ground yesterday when nobody was looking.
    So what?
    It doesn't affect anyone here.
    Only thing it does is make someone feel better about judging other strangers.

If they are in the media constantly ( which McGregor is ) you can expect people to have an opinion. Is it because he's Irish that they should be immune from it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

How exactly is it obvious? I'm assuming you don't know McGregor or his girlfriend.

How exactly is it obvious? I'm assuming you don't know McGregor or his girlfriend.

It's well known around Dublin that he's putting about. Quit being such a fanboy.

It's well known around Dublin that he's putting about. Quit being such a fanboy.

And how do you know his missus is a gold digger? How do you know they haven't broken up behind the scenes?

And how do you know his missus is a gold digger? How do you know they haven't broken up behind the scenes?

Who the heck or you, his dad ? sister ? drug dealer ?

Lose the hard on for him, it's embarrassing

• Advertisement

Who the heck or you, his dad ? sister ? drug dealer ?

Lose the hard on for him, it's embarrassing

Don't know the man, I respect what he has done in his professional life. I have less than zero interest in his personal life. I would say that the only people who should be embarrassed are the ones tripping over themselves to talk about that personal life.

Don't know the man, I respect what he has done in his professional life. I have less than zero interest in his personal life. I would say that the only people who should be embarrassed are the ones tripping over themselves to talk about that personal life.

You're quite on the defensive. Just another fanboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Tolerate what? A man isn't allowed some photos with a female celebrity? What exactly did he do wrong? Any man in this thread would be acting like a dog in heat if if rita ora was willing to take a photo with them.

You clearly have a hatred for McGregor, it's actually a little pathetic. You're jealous, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

MarkY91 wrote:
    Tolerate what? A man isn't allowed some photos with a female celebrity? What exactly did he do wrong? Any man in this thread would be acting like a dog in heat if if rita ora was willing to take a photo with them.

To be honest, I'm wondering who Rita ora is, celebrities are largely boring in my world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

He's on a business trip with some fashion label. I guarantee he spends more time with her and Jr than most fathers get to

Well this is it. If Conor can make a living off this type of stuff instead of having to get back in the ring then him and his missus will be far better off.

I don't get the hysterics anyway over that date night photo Rita put up. Looks like she was taking the piss out of herself given the face she was pulling it. I do find these tweets amusing though from irrelevant reality tv heads telling Rita she is the one that has become irrelevant.

Rita, like McGregor, has built a brand that she can live off the rest of her life in her twenties. I'm sure she's feeling that irrelevancy about herself every day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement