Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish homes pay 4th highest electricity costs

Options
  • 01-12-2017 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Irish households pay 4th highest electricity costs according to Eurostat
    Nov 2017. See link to Eurostat Graph. Note that its not Tax but the Energy suppliers in Ireland that expensive!!!!!!!.
    New figures show that electricity prices in Ireland are the fourth highest in the 28 States of the EU. Only Denmark, Germany and Belgium have higher prices, according to Eurostat. Denmark's high electricity prices, however, were largely due to the very high share (67%) of taxes and levies included.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/8489679/8-29112017-AP-EN.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

Paying a premium on top of that because landlord insists on Pinergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

remember ireland is an island with high transport costs etc. we have no natural oil or coal reserves, we don't burn turf for energy, and our investment in renewables comes at a cost.

would you rather we used the dirtiest forms of fuel to take a few cents off the bills? I wouldn't.

remember ireland is an island with high transport costs etc. we have no natural oil or coal reserves, we don't burn turf for energy, and our investment in renewables comes at a cost.

would you rather we used the dirtiest forms of fuel to take a few cents off the bills? I wouldn't.

still have a few peat (turf) power stations
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

and a fair few people burn it for heat (energy) at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

glasso wrote: »
    I remember hearing some power stations here could be run at a loss, or make barely any profit, or possibly it was that they used more energy than they created. The transporting of fuel to the stations and cost of running stations was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Probably doesn't help that the average wage per employee in the ESB is approximately 72k

• Advertisement

clevtrev wrote: »
    Probably doesn't help that the average wage per employee in the ESB is approximately 72k
    and hugely discounted electricity on top of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would be interested in seeing an equivalent ranking for the cost before any levies (but after standard taxation). The PSO levy is not particularly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

Check this link, It's well worth reading. it shows Generation costs for all countries in Europe. Ireland, Belgium and Spain are highest at 18c per unit approximately, So much for competition in the market.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/8489679/8-29112017-AP-EN.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Highways > Total > Per capita: Countries Compared
    1	Pitcairn Islands	139.13 km per 1,000 people	2005	
    2	Canada	44.92 km per 1,000 people	2002	
    3	Iceland	44.74 km per 1,000 people	2003	
    4	Australia	42.88 km per 1,000 people	1999	
    5	Estonia	37.54 km per 1,000 people	2000	
    6	Namibia	35.09 km per 1,000 people	2000	
    7	Latvia	30.86 km per 1,000 people	2000	
    8	Montserrat	25.24 km per 1,000 people	2003	
    9	Austria	24.96 km per 1,000 people	2000	
    10	Ireland	24.31 km per 1,000 people	2000	

We're roads to nowhere, everywhere. And houses on them. A huge OPEX and Transmission cost. Add to that ESB being untouchable in labour relations and you have an expensive system.

We cant fix transmission quickly, nor generation, but wages are an easy fix if any govt had the cajones (none will).

• Advertisement

Melendez wrote: »
    FFS, really? you went on to say they do get a discount, christ almighty.

Maybe you have a different definition of "completely" and "untrue" to me...

I had heard of the discount many years ago, from a single friend who was not using much, so does sound like it is not of huge benefit anymore, fair enough. But still to says its "completely untrue" makes it sound like I was talking utter lies, that nobody got discounts or ever did, sweet jesus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

The employees in Electricity Ireland have an average salary of over 70,000.

The employees get shares, dividends and preferential tax deals.

Electric Ireland make 20% net profits each year despite huge costs from above.

The Electric Ireland high prices for electricity are an artificial floor that allow other operators to make a margin.

The high prices are to facilitate the employee's benefits.

It's an indirect tax.

This is Ireland where the private sector majority serve the public sector minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

It's great quality electricity though. Makes lovely toast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Another bloody increase in August. I thought there was a regulator to deal with these increases?

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/electric-ireland-to-increase-prices-by-the-end-of-the-summer-37056088.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

There is, and he got a new rubber-stamp that needs trying out! Who knows in a few months strikes may be averted by last minute pay raises!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Another bloody increase in August. I thought there was a regulator to deal with these increases?

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/electric-ireland-to-increase-prices-by-the-end-of-the-summer-37056088.html

The regulator is literally a joke. Like literally, was it the ESB or wait Bord Gas that went looking for a price increase and the regulator actually told them they could have more of an increase than they asked for. I mean who is the regulator looking out for here? All this and the standing charge went up also. They'll be looking for the first born next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Been with Electric Ireland for 3 and a half years now - think it's time to change. Who would be best to move to savings-wise? Being able to pay online is a must (i.e. using card, not by direct debit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

As the market has substantial competition, the regulator no longer needs to control prices, but they do set the fixed charge for renewables and they are proposing to reduce it by 3.43 a month.

Gas prices have increased over 50% from its low last year and the dollar has strengthened. As gas is priced in dollars and is the primary fuel for power generation, the price increases have been feeding into the electricity market worldwide in he past 6 months.

Business one year electricity prices which change weekly increased by over 10% in the past year.

UK consumer prices have increased already by 6-8% and they are suggesting further price 4-6% increases in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

The union in the ESB want another pay increase, they are the highest paid energy employees in Europe and retired employees have the best pension scheme in the country, better than state employees. Also the salaries weren't hit during the recession because the ESB is a semi-state!!!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

We switched to Energia and got a 29% discount for online statement & direct debit. Got a night rate meter in as well (free from ESB networks). Now about 60% of our usage is on night rate. Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher & Immersion coming on mostly during the night plus charging electric car as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Been with Electric Ireland for 3 and a half years now - think it's time to change. Who would be best to move to savings-wise? Being able to pay online is a must (i.e. using card, not by direct debit).

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't really matter who you are with but you need to renew your contract every year to make sure you don't go back on the standard rate. IMO and experience they all charge within a fraction of each other once you've added the standing charges and vat. The amount you save wouldn't cover the cost of changing the direct debit. Competition me hoop.

Advertisement